Menu

Spanish program for 5-year-old AND teacher?

sleepymom

We are doing Song School Latin and will follow with Latin for Children.  Lots of auditory support and it has activities on-line the kids can do for reinforcement and there are DVDs so you are not the teacher but the facilitator.  The same program is supposed to be great for Spanish, but we haven't done the Spanish version.

We are doing Song School Latin and will follow with Latin for Children.  Lots of auditory support and it has activities on-line the kids can do for reinforcement and there are DVDs so you are not the teacher but the facilitator.  The same program is supposed to be great for Spanish, but we haven't done the Spanish version.

If you want something to try for free, there are episodes for free called Salsa Spanish. The lesson plans for the teacher are at http://edu.wyoming.gov/searchresults.aspx?SearchQuery=Salsa . I'm not good at linking, but I think the episode link is http://www.gpb.org/salsa/term/episode . If you have trouble with these links do a search for Salsa Spanish episodes and Salsa Spanish lesson plans. For the lesson plans, lesson 1 goes with episode 101 . I have all the lesson plans in an iBook folder, it's very convenient. There are lots of suggestions for games, songs, and hands on activities to help with the vocabulary. HTH

We are using SSSpanish. Very easy to use.

Now my oldest (7) is using Flip Flop Spanish. Audio CDs are great and teach to the child. Love it! And now we are using Homeschool Spanish Academy with a live sessions with a native speaker. Love this as well!

Song School Spanish is good. I also love Ana Lomba's Hop, Jump, and Sing Spanish for kids. It's basically a Kindermusik-type class, on CD, done in Spanish. There is an introduction to each track that explains what you should do for the parent, but for the most part, it's things like run when you hear "corre" and jump when you hear "salta". We watched a lot of Videos with the Spanish track on in the early days, too.

Another thumbs up for Salsa Spanish. I have a dd nearly 4 that requests to watch it daily. (We are learning Spanish together)

We are also doing Song School Spanish, which is a lot of fun, and my dd loves to dance to the music. It is just right for young kids, especially for moms that are learning as well. I will say that I first purchased just the Student book...which would be more than adequate for a mom with even a bit of HS Spanish, but I recommend the TG if you don't!

I also have several DVD-based programs that focus on vocabulary. If you haven't seen it, take a look at DinoLingo Spanish. It is one of our favorite of the DVD-based sets. For that matter, they have sets for just about any language you can imagine! They recently came out with DinoLingo Latin that is adorable as well. Cute characters, even dinosaurs:)

I also bought a book called Kid Stuff Spanish- it is really a phrase book, but geared toward things phrases a child is likely to hear regularly: like 'it's time for bed!'

The idea is that you pick a phrase daily (or whenever) and say it in Spanish, as well as English. It really is genius, because the parent quickly adopts the phrases and it becomes second nature. Immediate conversational Spanish, in phrases that can be extrapolated to new phrases.

For example, we taught my dd3 to say 'give me a kiss, please' in Spanish...two days later she asked what the word for chocolate was, then immediately put the word together to cheekily request a chocolate kiss, candy we had purchases for a bake sale. Cute.