Menu

learn to read program that stresses phonemic awareness?

mom2Hh

I'd like recommendations of learning to read programs (phonics based) that puts plenty of emphasis on phonemic awareness.  Most phonics programs do that, it's part of phonics, but something that has "extra" phonemic awareness activities.

My 5 yr old is either a bit behind or perhaps having some other troubles that I haven't discovered yet with phonemic awareness.  And I know there are lots of ideas out there that I could just google and do, I'd love to find a program that ties it all in together so I don't have to go looking elsewhere and remember to do different things. 

or even a separate phonemic awareness "program" that would be fun and somewhat kinesthetic....

I've used (and am using) Saxon Phonics.  My ds6 is in the midst of Level 1 at present, and there is a section for practicing phonemic awareness at the beginning of every lesson.  Can't remember if this continues through level 2, but it's certainly consistent in level 1.

If the student has auditory processing issues, then I'd try something like Earobics or HearBuilders software or possibly even Lindamood-Bell's LiPS.

Barton or Wilson would be a good reading program to follow on after using a phonemic awareness software or program, but I'd work on the child's ability to distinguish the phonemes before starting Barton or Wilson.

Phonological Awareness is one of the 5 skill areas that All About Reading's Pre-Reading program covers, to prepare children for learning to read. Several of these skills are carried over into Level 1 as well. Here's a checklist  that shows what pre-reading covers and can help you decide if a child would be ready to learn to read, or needs work in this area first.

Both WRTR and SWR are great programs.  I, personally, prefer SWR and have been using it since my little man was 4 yo.  My favorite place to recommend for learning more about SWR is a website by one of their endorsed trainers, Britta McColl.  Here are a few links from her site: 

What is Spell to Write and Read?

How I got started with SWR

SWR and Preschoolers (And Non-Reading Beginners)

Does SWR work for Wiggly Willys? Yes!

Successfully Teaching Reading to a Beginner

HTH!

Spalding. Definitely Spalding. :-)

Phonological Awareness is one of the 5 skill areas that All About Reading's Pre-Reading program covers, to prepare children for learning to read. Several of these skills are carried over into Level 1 as well. Here's a checklist  that shows what pre-reading covers and can help you decide if a child would be ready to learn to read, or needs work in this area first.

Both WRTR and SWR are great programs.  I, personally, prefer SWR and have been using it since my little man was 4 yo.  My favorite place to recommend for learning more about SWR is a website by one of their endorsed trainers, Britta McColl.  Here are a few links from her site: 

What is Spell to Write and Read?

How I got started with SWR

SWR and Preschoolers (And Non-Reading Beginners)

Does SWR work for Wiggly Willys? Yes!

Successfully Teaching Reading to a Beginner

HTH!

The above 3 responses are what I would have mentioned. I've used all 3. All 3 have their advantages IMO. I haven't used the other curricula suggested. Great results with these 3, though.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I'll look into them further.  It's interesting that at the little meeting today regarding my son's evaluation at a speech and hearing center they said they weren't concerned about his phonemic awareness or phonemic something or other.  And yet I hear him say plenty of words that indicate he isn't hearing all of it correctly.  So I think using a program that does stress phonemic awareness will help.