Menu

Should I Play the Herald/Fanfare Trumpet?

I play the sax and French horn, and I was wondering about if I should buy and play a Bb herald trumpet.  I am wondering because would playing the trumpet mess with my French horn embouchure?  Please give me your thoughts on the Herald Fanfare trumpets and if I should play one.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Not a brass player, but a lot of trumpet players play horn and vice-versa. There aren't many horns in jazz bands, for example, but there are plenty of people who also play horn who play in the trumpet or trombone sections in jazz bands. In general, it's easier to learn the second similar embouchure than the first because you've already built up those muscles, and it's a matter of learning the differences and building up the muscle memory so when you pick up a horn, your body says "horn" and when you pick up a trumpet, your body says "trumpet".

Um, not to be rude or anything, but...are you a homeschooler, or a homeschooling teen?

You've asked about two specific brass instruments in your posts, and posted nothing else remotely education related.

Are you looking for quotes for a brand review website? :huh:

Well actually, I am not home schooled.  I go to a public school.  My posts actually do have education ties, since playing an instrument can raise IQ by 7 points, or help with math.  Instruments also help to get college or high school scholarships, so I am wondering which ones might give me a step up.   Music helps to increase motivation and keep the mind busy, since I am a smart student and I am ahead of most people.  Music keeps my mind sharp because music exercises both right and left sides of the brain.  if you were not going to answer my question, why did you take time to comment on it with nothing relevant?  I did not take offense to your question, but one day someone might so maybe you should before commenting think of all of the possibilities...

Sorry if I came off like a mean person, but I want to make sure you don't make someone who is angry and mean mad at you.

I apologize again, 

Matt

Well actually, I am not home schooled.  I go to a public school.  My posts actually do have education ties, since playing an instrument can raise IQ by 7 points, or help with math.  Instruments also help to get college or high school scholarships, so I am wondering which ones might give me a step up.   Music helps to increase motivation and keep the mind busy, since I am a smart student and I am ahead of most people.  Music keeps my mind sharp because music exercises both right and left sides of the brain.  if you were not going to answer my question, why did you take time to comment on it with nothing relevant?  I did not take offense to your question, but one day someone might so maybe you should before commenting think of all of the possibilities...

Sorry if I came off like a mean person, but I want to make sure you don't make someone who is angry and mean mad at you.

I apologize again, 

Matt

LOL!

I think Matt asked a good question in a reasonable place. His other responses to music-related topic have been excellent, and he could be a valuable resource for parents or kids who want advice from a peer who's familiar with music.

Matt, I applaud you for posting in a HS forum about something you really seem to know about. You certainly never came off as "mean." :) You also commented reasonably to another poster and gave good advice.

Sometimes, the forum has issues with spammers and trolls, and I think that maybe that's what the other poster was trying to figure out. :) I think, though, that a herald trumpet is a type of trumpet, and not a brand, right?

Mrs_JWM is correct--this forum certainly welcomes those with educational questions, Matt, and I did not mean to say you were not welcome.

My apologies.

We have had several posters who were disingenuous and boy, are they a pain.

Your question is fine, and your motives seem fine, too. 

Good luck with your music. 

I think Matt asked a good question in a reasonable place. His other responses to music-related topic have been excellent, and he could be a valuable resource for parents or kids who want advice from a peer who's familiar with music.

Matt, I applaud you for posting in a HS forum about something you really seem to know about. You certainly never came off as "mean." :) You also commented reasonably to another poster and gave good advice.

Sometimes, the forum has issues with spammers and trolls, and I think that maybe that's what the other poster was trying to figure out. :) I think, though, that a herald trumpet is a type of trumpet, and not a brand, right?

Thank you Mrs_JWM, I was not aware spammers would come onto this website. And yes, a fanfare/herald trumpet is a type of trumpet, not a brand.

Mrs_JWM is correct--this forum certainly welcomes those with educational questions, Matt, and I did not mean to say you were not welcome.

My apologies.

We have had several posters who were disingenuous and boy, are they a pain.

Your question is fine, and your motives seem fine, too. 

Good luck with your music.

Thank you Chris, I was not aware that those types of people came to this website. I apologize for snapping at you.

have a nice day!!!! :)

Matt

I wouldn't worry about one interfering with the other. Sometimes if you set one horn down and pick up the next it can take a little minute to adjust, but overall it won't be an issue. That said, it was always easier for me to go from a higher instrument to lower rather than the other way. So playing horn and then trombone was cool, or trumpet then horn, but going from tuba to trombone or trombone to trumpet was no fun. But your experience may be different.

If I were you, I'd pick up a standard Bb trumpet instead of a herald, unless you have some regular and specific gigs to play the herald for. A regular trumpet would be much more versatile.

I've read through a couple of your other posts.  You are 14 and have just started the French Horn.  I think you should focus on one instrument at a time.  If you like the French Horn, stick with it for at least a year then consider adding another instrument.  If you don't like the FH, then by all means, try another instrument, but I would do it as a replacement, not in addition to what you are already doing.  Also, for trumpets, get and learn a basic B-flat trumpet.  Save the herald trumpets for when you are ready to go pro.

(This coming from someone who played trumpet, French Horn, and some trombone through high school and had a music scholarship for trumpet in college).

I've read through a couple of your other posts.  You are 14 and have just started the French Horn.  I think you should focus on one instrument at a time.  If you like the French Horn, stick with it for at least a year then consider adding another instrument.  If you don't like the FH, then by all means, try another instrument, but I would do it as a replacement, not in addition to what you are already doing.  Also, for trumpets, get and learn a basic B-flat trumpet.  Save the herald trumpets for when you are ready to go pro.

(This coming from someone who played trumpet, French Horn, and some trombone through high school and had a music scholarship for trumpet in college).

Thanks Kristen, I'll certainly consider that!