Menu

My morning walks ...

Melissa in Australia

I live 3 km away from a small village of just under 200 people everyone is friendly and knows each other by site.

early every morning I go for a hour long walk. there are only three directions I can walk. one goes from my place towards the village, and there and back is just under 6 km. the other walk is in the opposite direction and goes along the beach, them up steps round trip of just under 4 km. Both of these are made walking tracks and many people use them every day. I walk from 6am to 7am.  Or I can walk along the road.

I was walking to the village and back I regularly pass the same people walking from the village to the beach lookout and back ( my place is close to the beach lookout). I always say G'day to each person as we pass each other. I regularly pass this older man (in his 60s).  Sometimes he would sort of slow down and try to talk, I am in too much of a rush for a conversation and always move on. I was starting to get the feeling that he was sort of trying to chat me up. I told Dh who thought it hilarious and told me I was imagining things. So I decided I would start walking along the road instead. 2 days in a row I had cars with a tourist stop and ask me if I would like a lift. So I decided not to walk on the road but go back to the track. The other day I was walking  briskly along,  came round the corner and the man was standing there with his army outstretched and said " good morning my love your look more  attractive and beautiful than ever" :scared:  I  walked right round him and walked at my quickest speed ever. After a few hours of reflection I thought maybe he is practicing for a play or drama  something. I mean who does that sort of thing?? :confused:  But just to be on the safe side I might just do the shorter walk along the beach instead for a while.

So next morning I go along the beach and come across another man  in his 60s who was walking his dog and the man was completely naked :scared: I told DH and he asked me if I stopped and spoke to him?? ( he still thinks the whole thing is hilarious) NO I just pretended he didn't exist and kept on walking. :glare:

As I don't want to come across  the naked man I have gone back to the walk to the village, but I am perfecting high speed walking now. the drama rehearsing  man has to call out after me as I streak past him and is now  just saying "good morning Melissa my love"

I think I am seeing why people use those music thingys that plug into their ears as they walk. I always wondered why they didn't want to hear the beautiful sound of the ocean crashing and the morning bird chorus. But in reality it is so they can avoid hearing the crazy drama rehearsing man.

Reading this is better than many dramas I've seen! Truth really can be strange - and kind of creepy.

Have you ever simply told drama guy that you aren't interested? I wonder what his response would be. Between the two I think I'd take the path with naked guy. The other seems more like a stalker. Or I'd see if I could change my walking times somehow.

Aside from the creeps, it does sound like a lovely walk though!

I did try changing my walking times and had a young man (very early 20s) turn around in front of me (so he was facing me) and start to urinate. He didn't look up at all.  I cannot whistle  so I just kept on walking, crunching on branches and stuff as I went looking up at the trees. He didn't notice me until I was walking right past him... then he screamed! I told him that off the path would be way have been better.

For some strange reason my DH found this the most hilarious  encounter of all and is still having a laugh about it, he has even got to the stage of pointing out every young male to me and asking me if that was the guy or not...

For some strange reason my DH found this the most hilarious  encounter of all and is still having a laugh about it, he has even got to the stage of pointing out every young male to me and asking me if that was the guy or not...

Tell him you don't know because you didn't look at his face....

No naked men on my walks, darnit. :) There is one guy at our pool who sunbathes in his tighty-whities; he does it so all the moms with kids will leave, so now we just ignore him.

I would definitely wear sunglasses, earbuds, and pretend to be blind, deaf, and mute around these fine fellows. :)

Can you borrow a friend's very large German Shephard Dog, Mastiff, Rottweiler, Doberman? I used to walk with a very large German Shephard/Malinois, and everyone gave me a very wide berth. :)