Menu

Is there a "Hands on Calculus" or "DragonBox Calculus"?

Dmmetler

DD and DH are reading "A slice of Pi" which is  math history, plus the occasional problem, as their bedtime read-aloud. And DD has decided, after a couple of stories, that she wants to learn Calculus. We have the Calculus for kids, but honestly, I don't really want to try to teach her something else right now-especially since we're trying to streamline so she can spend more time on science and in the lab (and every lab day involves not only the lab time but four hours round trip driving time-which is time she can spend self-teaching, but not really time I can spend teaching her).

Does anyone know of a "pre-calculus" resource that would be accessible to a kid with an algebra background and who is good at figuring things out. Honestly, I think she'd just enjoy playing with the concepts a bit, even if she's not really doing the math yet.

It still is written to the adult to do with the child, at least the book we have is-not for the child to explore and self-teach on their own, the way they can do with Dragonbox (or as DD did with Hands on Equations, and would work even more so with the app).

I ordered this DVD set for my PG nephew at 12 and he loves it. It is 5 hours of instruction, not perfect quality, but he loves that he can 'play' with the concepts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B51SRI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1381411247&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Not nearly as much fun as an app like Dragonbox!

I have Calculus Without Tears and it still is more geared toward the parent or teacher. Still, as long as you are available for help, it is a nice resource.

Are you familiar with the Standard Deviants? They made a ton of instructional dvds, including a few about calculus. They're tremendously silly (and probably laughable dated by now; but you will get to see Kerry Washington before she was famous), and ours almost got worn out from overuse. Lots of libraries have them, I think.

Guest StudyShy

Are you familiar with the Standard Deviants? They made a ton of instructional dvds, including a few about calculus. They're tremendously silly (and probably laughable dated by now; but you will get to see Kerry Washington before she was famous), and ours almost got worn out from overuse. Lots of libraries have them, I think.

I learned organic chemistry with Standard Deviants. It was pretty corny, but I did gain a little from them. I wonder how good Khan does with calculus teaching?

Books that I like for Easy Calculus Exposure:

Calculus Made Simple by Silvanus P. Thompson, foreword (+ some random revisions) by Martin Gardner <--Read it.

What is Calculus About by W.W. Sawyer <--- Own it.

Calculus for Dummies (+ Workbook) <--- Own them.

CIG to Calculus by W. M. Kelley <--- Own them

Humongous Book of Calculus by W. M. Kelley <--Read it. Getting it from the library again soon. Will eventually buy it.

Intro to Calculus for Infants <--- Want it, but have never read it. It just seems so unbearably cute!!!

I'll upload this with other links and resources when I am home and can access my bookmark and personal math library.

I have a bunch of Standards Deviants videos on VHS that a homeschool mom passed on to me once her last got past them. I also have the complete Sister Wendy series from her, too. I really should turn DD loose on them. Unfortunately, she doesn't teach her girls past Geometry (she sends them to the CC after that). I'm also thinking that I might just go ahead and buy the rest of LoF for Christmas.

I ordered Calculus for Dummies and the Cartoon Guide to Calculus (DD loves the physics one, so I figured it was worth trying). She has also been asking DH to explain calculus before bed the last few nights. I don't think she's entirely "getting" it (and he's not the best at explaining what is, to him, very elementary math), but she's having fun. I passed on the "calculus by and for young people" to him, so hopefully that will give him ideas.

"I want to just do AOPS for now" Yeah, right....

I love "Calculus made easy", ever since being introduced to it in 1960 during honors calculus at Harvard. Thanks for mentioning it. I apologize for my obsessive behavior, but I like to give credit where it is due, and for the other acadenic historians among us, I must say that this book is written by Silvanus P. Thompson, dating from 1910, and was only superficially revised by Martin Gardner much more recently, and perhaps not much improved.

She has also been asking DH to explain calculus before bed the last few nights. I don't think she's entirely "getting" it (and he's not the best at explaining what is, to him, very elementary math), but she's having fun. I passed on the "calculus by and for young people" to him, so hopefully that will give him ideas.

I just heard my older explaining the concept of calculus to my hubby who is clearing leave.  Sounds similar to chapter XIX of Calculus made easy even though he had not read that book.  Hubby is not that good at explaining but he is good at asking questions and listening to long drawn explanations :)

Maybe get your daughter to do the explaining instead of how she understand/perceive calculus?

Books that I like for Easy Calculus Exposure:

Calculus Made Simple by Silvanus P. Thompson, foreword (+ some random revisions) by Martin Gardner <--Read it.

I'm reading the Gutenberg verion of Calculus Made Easy by Thompson http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283