Menu

Ebay and Paypal advice required.

Hannah

Two and a half weeks ago I bought and expensive item on Ebay.co.uk for which I paid via Paypal.

The first communication I had from the seller was that the delivery postal code was not showing on Parcelforce (which I checked and it does), then that he/she was working away and would be returning to dry land this weekend and would post the item upon his/her return.  And today I get another mail apologising and saying that he/she had been made redundant and was homeless and could not yet post the item and would do so as soon as possible.

I think I'm being scammed.  How should I respond to the last mail and what are the next steps?  Anyone with BTDT advice?

Email the seller through the eBay messaging system and politely let her know that her terms are unacceptable and that you would like an immediate refund if she doesn't send the item and provide you with a tracking number for the package within 24 hours. If she refuses or doesn't contact you again within 24 hours, open a case with eBay/PayPal.

If the eBay item listing included a date range for when you should expect your item and the date has passed, forget about telling her to mail the item and just request a refund. (The same thing goes if you really think she's scamming you -- don't even offer to accept the item if she sends it, just say that it has taken too long and you can't wait any longer, so you want a refund.)

Thank you Cat and Truly.   I've just replied saying that I cannot wait and need the item posted with a tracking number by noon on Thursday (10/10), or a refund. I'm hoping that he/she comes through with this. 

Thank you Cat and Truly.   I've just replied saying that I cannot wait and need the item posted with a tracking number by noon on Thursday (10/10), or a refund. I'm hoping that he/she comes through with this. 

Honestly, do not even bother with accepting the item. Who knows if they'll even send the correct item because the only thing you see is the tracking number. If it does not arrive until after the date when you can open a case, you're screwed. 

I think that if you open a case with eBay/Paypal, you can close it if the situation is successfully resolved - either the item or a refund is received.  So, I would go ahead and open a case right now.

ETA:  Yes, I checked on eBay and it states "You can open a case after the estimated delivery date of an item or, if you weren't given an estimated delivery date, 7 business days after making payment."  Then you can escalate the case after 3 days if it hasn't been resolved.

Have you heard anything from the seller yet, Hannah?

I hope you're able to get this resolved soon.

Thanks for asking Cat and for the good thoughts.  I'm afraid I haven't heard anything back yet :(   I will open the case this evening.

:iagree: I would open a case with ebay, and I hope you are quickly taken care of.

I've shopped ebay for years using paypal and never had a serious problem that concerned me until recently.   I could tell the seller was talking in circles after the item arrived that was not as listed / described.  We went back and forth and I finally opened a case;  my account was fully refunded including shipping in less than a day.  (Honestly, it was so quick and settled to my satisfaction before lunch.)

I just got a mail to say that the item had been posted with 48 hour delivery and I got tracking number. I'm holding thumbs.

I'm glad you got a tracking number! Hopefully the seller was telling you the truth all along, even though it sounded suspicious. Did she have good feedback ratings?