Menu

Which math for a kid who needs lots of repetition but not distraction?

heidip2p

My 5th grader has been using MUS for the last few years. I thought mastery would fit his learning style but I am wrong.  He is forgetting very basic concepts. I think his confidence is not where it could be with math right now. Despite the struggles we are having I think he is a pretty mathy kid.  I would like to find a program that I can go back a few levels and refresh his memory on things he has learned. He is easily distracted and struggles to focus. Knowing all of this any thought on what I should try?

You could try Saxon and break it into two pieces if he struggles with focusing through the lesson. It's very repetitious. That is actually the only reason why I am using it with my oldest. He likes it because he feels more confident with the constant reminders.

Honestly, I'd try Teaching Textbooks.  It's a huge confidence builder for most kids.  I think it depends what distracts him though.  Busy pages? noises?  etc.  The lesson is taught, as the words are put on the screen, so it might be enough to grab his focus.  Maybe try some of the samples and see what he thinks.

My DD fits that description...needs a lot of repetition but is easily distracted.  She is using CLE math.  Saxon was just too overwhelming for her (small print, copying problems, etc.).  Now, she doesn't LOVE CLE either, but she has grown by leaps and bounds since we switched to it.  The lessons can be long (we cross off some of the problems), so I do have to sit next to her to keep her on track.

We tried TT a few times with the free lessons online and I could tell it wasn't a fit for her.  She was very distracted with changing the character on the screen and got annoyed with the "Time Out for a Hint" that happened for each problem.

Can anyone explain the major differences between CLE and R&S? I know one is mastery and one is spiral.  You can't write in the R&S book correct?  I think that might be an advantage of CLE. 

At the 5th grade level R&S is all textbooks.

Teaching Textbooks might be good for confidence.  There are sample lessons on their website to try out.

Math Mammoth is good at repetition. I also like how it is written to the student.

CLE is spiral, and one good thing is you can buy just one or two light units for $3.00 or so to see if he likes it.

We have been using Horizons Math since K.  DD is now in 5th.  It's a spiral math program, and we love it.  DD has a good foundation and now we just do part of the review problems and all of the new concepts.  This is the one curriculum I have never changed or messed with.

I think Rod and Staff math would be a perfect fit for you.  It is mastery, so there is plenty of practice to learn the concepts, yet there is a ton of review.  The Rod and Staff textbooks are so inexpensive that we use them as workbooks, whenever there is enough room to do the work.  When there isn't enough room, sometimes I write the problems on the chalkboard and sometimes I have my ds write them out in his notebook.  I think copying problems accurately is an important skill, so I do want him to copy problems at least part of the time, but not enough to overwhelm him.  From grade 6 on up, the textbooks are designed that odds or evens could be assigned, unless a child needs the extra practice.  Usually what I do is have my ds do evens, but if he misses any, I then have him do some of the odds.  You can see samples here:  http://www.milestonebooks.com/list/Mathematics_for_Christian_Living_Series/

My second uses R&S and it's perfect for her. We were using MM, which I love, but she was forgetting stuff and getting bogged down. R&S is just the right amount of review for her. We also use it as a workbook. (Though I'm not against copying problems- that's how i did it in school!)