Menu

S/O flu thread-if you use oil of oregano, can you please explain more about it?

HappyGrace

I'm very interested in adding oil of oregano to our arsenal. Has is worked well for you? Is it just for flu, or general immune system, or colds, or what? What brand do you like? How often and what amount would one take? Is it taken at onset of symptoms, or all along? Please let me in on all details about this! Thanks!

My husband and I have taken oil of oregano when sick. When I lived in California 7 years ago, a mom at my church recommended it when we were not kicking a nasty illness with OTC stuff. We bought some at whole foods and it healed us up. I keep it in the house now always. I buy Gaia brand, but there are lots of brands and it comes in liquid or pill. I can't tell you about it other than that really. :) I can testify that it works for us though. I take the recommended dosage and do not use it as a preventative, but more so at the onset of sickness.

• 4 weeks later...

I use oil of oregano capsules from Source Naturals* (ordered from vitacost.com). At the first sign that I might be getting sick, which for me is a sore throat and achy neck, I eat a RAW clove of garlic and take an oil of oregano capsule. I repeat this two more times throughout the day. I also take 1000 mg of vitamin C three times throughout this day. I actually think it is the raw garlic that wards off the flu, but I do the others as an extra measure. When they lived at home, I had my sons, who weigh a lot more than I, take two oil of oregano capsules at a time. They also refused to eat raw garlic, so I had pills for them. When I do the above, my sore throat/achy neck is gone by the end of the day and the flu never progresses. When I don't, I get sick for at least four days in which I am out of commission with extreme fatigue, fever, body aches and some sort of respiratory issue. I HATE getting sick!

*This contains soy, maybe some other allergens of which I am unaware.

Is the oil better or the capsules, or does it not matter?

I don't think one is better than the other. Oil of oregano can be quite potent and sometimes burns a little in the oil form. For that reason, I prefer the capsules. I've been using it for years and in my experience both work equally well.

I did have a naturopath tell me that it is quite strong and will harm your body's good bacteria along with the bad (it's also great for fighting candida and yeast infections) and that one should also take a good probiotic to replenish tour good bacteria when using oil of oregano (although not at the same time).

I'll only use North American Herb and Spice P73. There are toxins that need to be removed, so do watch your brands. There may be other safe brands (probably are; I just stick with what I've researched). Oregano is a natural antibiotic (among other things). So I would not use it unless I would be willing to take a prescribed antibiotic for fighting whatever infection. In other words, I think there are better choices for influenza and other viruses. We have used it (twice) to fight known bacterial infections here. But I don't routinely use oregano because of the effect of antibiotics on gut bacteria. If you do use oregano, assume you're wiping out healthy gut bacteria just like an regular antibiotic. Take quality probiotics a few hours after each dose and then continue with probiotics after finished.

Instead of oregano, I'd use Elderberry/Sambucol. There is research to support it's effectiveness in flu.

just started taking this year--the supplement "gel cap" looking things-I get them from vitacost (LOVE vitacost) and I usually take them (and garlic oil capsules) when I either feel a cold/sinus crud coming on.....I haven't been sick since earlier this year (jan/feb/mar)....but I've only had the oil of oregano since probably late summer....I have added elderberry supplements too and frankly have been taking them more than I have the oil of oregano.....and yea you have to watch out for additional ingredients-you want the most natural/purest you can get...