Menu

Middle-man for utilities??

PrincessMommy

I got this suspicious call today.

First off it was on my cell and I cant' hear well on cell phones.  2nd, English was not the callers first language so even harder to understand.  But, what I gathered is that she was offering to lower my gas bill by 10%.  I've had these calls before for my electric bill (I always refused) so I was trying hard understand how this happened but was having trouble.  I asked her to send me written information that I could mull over a bit.  She couldn't do it.  She told me that AFTER I set it up then I'd receive information. :confused1: .  I then asked for her number so I could do my own homework and call her back.  Again, she couldn't do that until after I gave her my account number. :glare:.  She kept saying that if I'd give her my account number THEN the gas company would send me a letter telling me I had been "received" into the program.  What??? 

I didn't like the hard sell.  She really wanted that account number. 

Anyway, are these 3rd party companies for utilities really legit??

I got one the other day claiming to be from Microsoft and something about a computer problem.  I also can't hear well (I am getting my hearing aids tomorrow, actually) but the guy sounded like he was from the Indian subcontinent.  I hung up.  I don't think Microsoft calls anyone about a problem.

Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam.

The gas company doesn't need your account number to set you up on a discount plan (assuming one even existed!).  They already have the all your info. 

My rule is simple.  I never give anyone my info over the phone unless I originate the call.  Even when my credit card company called to warn me of a possible fraudulent charge, I told them I would have to call them back.  Then I called the phone number printed on the back of my card. They were very understanding.

she was from India.

Someone called again several hours later.  I told them to put me on the do not call list.  I've looked up the co. online and they are actually listed on my gas co. website as an approved "competitive energy supplier".  But they get an "F" rating from the BBB.  Also, several other sites have people complaining about them.  yeah... I knew it was bad news.