Menu

Riddles for chemical elements Scavenger Hunt party game

Acorn

Anyone like to write these? I am running out of time.  I am trying to incorporate elements into each clue.  For example, The more I dry, the wetter I become, soaking up hydrogen and oxygen for fun.

So far, I have clues for elements to find our computer, toothpaste, towel, wall paint, remote control and stained glass window hanging.  What else can I do?  I am stuck on trying to write something referencing Americium in a smoke detector.   Also, I'm trying to add copper wiring, silverware drawer, sink faucets, any ideas?

Guests will be 5-11 years old and scavenger hunt is indoors, but could lead outdoors if needed. 

Thank you.

I really do love these:)

Hubby and I are chemists. I have a Dr. Appt this morning, but am lying frivolously abed recovering from surgery this afternoon. If you haven't finished them, I can help with more then:)

I hope you are healing fast.  I will press on cleaning the kitchen and patio and check back in this afternoon.

here's my favorite but it's specific for our stained glass rainbow.

A rainbow of glass, crafted with joints of lead,

Cobalt oxide turns glass blue and gold chloride makes red.

Sulfur for yellow, and uranium oxide tints it green,

All these colors together make a beautiful scene.

Here's a idea but then I got stumped. I need to finish it with clue for couch and remote control for tv.

Look to lithium to give you a charge,

these batteries power so many things small and large.

so, when upon the sofa you are napping

Press the 'on' button to see what's happening

Or

Click my button to turn me on

After finding a couch to collapse upon

Are you wanting to go with the rhyming theme? I will try to work them that way:)

Okay, what others do you need or have you finished?

Iron:

I turn to rust in the presence of oxygen, and am the reason the surface of Mars looks red.

You can find my magnetic filings in neat little boxes that you eat when you get out of bed.

Some of these will be a bit hokey, but time and age should excuse a bit of it:)

That's great!

What next?  Calcium in fridge?  Chrome faucet in tub?  Brass (CuZn) doorknobs?  We have a fireplace but it doesn't have ashes right now.  I suppose the cell phones are made of dozens of things, assuming I remember to leave it in the cell phone "spot". 

Sulfur: (maybe you could put the next clue on a box of eggs in the fridge? Although you might want to put the eggs themselves in Tupperware or something if they are rambunctious boys!)

I am one of a few elements found pure in nature, and probably from volcanic origins arose.

When I am in the presence of oxygen, you might want to cover your nose!

Be careful with these shells or the smell may make you groan-

When your nose is full of the stench of Brimstone!

Lets see...what else? Sodium an chloride on salt cellars in kitchen cupboard? Do you have a no of Borax in the laundry area? Swimming pool or water purifier?

Can you tell me which ones you have done already?

I thought carbon would be fun to do for a big box o pencils, but you would néed to have a place where the kids could reasonably expect to find them?

I was thinking of borax but I think I want to just keep the laundry room closed off. 

We have a digital thermostat.  I don't know if my kids even know about thermostats.

I wrote the one for a hand towel in post 1, and love the other ones added to the thread.  We also have

Letters and numbers can combine on a screen,

Al, Cu, Si, Pb, Au, Nd and more make up this machine.

Look for a place in our house

where there is an electric mouse.

Fl can keep your teeth bright white,

go to where you brush them at night.

Ti is A's favorite element, it's true.

It is found in house paint, look for a room of blue.

Earlier post have Li batteries with couch and assorted ones in stained glass.

Helium: for this one to work you will need helium balloons, but at a party I though there might be a fairly good chance.

I am the smallest atom, lighter than air

1/4 of the biggest star in our galaxy is composed of me.

From blimps to balloons to shuttles for NASA

Are all possible when you manage to harness my energy.

Sodium:

My vapour at night gives a yellow glow to the streetlights

And my ions combine to make all kinds of salts

With Cl I am found in the ocean in great quantities,

but use sparingly on food or your taste buds I may assault.

Ah...trying to rush a bit and force the rhyming:)

It might be fun after the party stress to rework some of these and do a bit better job!

Well my son would love to read these all day, but I'm thinking a dozen or so.  I haven't typed them up yet, but I think this will be awesome.  We are having the kids make molecules with marshmallows and gumdrops to put on their own cupcake.  Then, outside for some volcano type things in bottle and making some slime.  The two hours are going to go too fast.