Menu

graphing calculator??

Ds is doing pre-algebra.  Today the exponent lesson had a whole video section on order of operations on a graphing calculator.  Um, we don't have one.  Do we need one for pre-alg/algebra?  I don't remember buying one until farther into high school math way back when lol. 

what's the standard one everyone gets now?  There are so many choices and I have no idea what we will need now and in the future.  

help!?!?

Honestly I don't think it's necessary in pre-algebra and would feel completely comfortable skipping those sections.

That being said, a TI-83 or 84 is a pretty safe bet. Many colleges don't allow the higher TI's such as 89-92 because of their capability for doing algebra. If you do decide to get him one, I would ONLY use it on the sections where it says 'use the graphing calculator'

Didn't need a graphing calculator even for calculus.  Only needed a scientific calculator and graph paper. 

However if you are to buy one for familiarization purpose. go for the TI-84 as that is the most commonly used calculator in the high schools here.  TI-83 is the older model.

You don't need one. We only got one for DS because he will be taking the NY Algebra regents exam and is expected to have one for the exam. We figured he should get used to using his calculator before the actual exam. If he didn't have his own, the school does provide one, but I am  not sure how that works with a homeschool kid. It going to be tricky enough for me just dealing with the school so he can take the test.

FWIW, if you do decide to get one, we got ours refurbished off Amazon for 40$. It arrived very quickly and looks brand new. It even came with new batteries in the package.

You should not need a graphing calculator until AP calculus (and there only because the test is specifically designed to include problems that can only be solved by graphing calculator).

In fact, you should not need any calculator at all until high school science and standardized testing (and none for high school math if the program is well designed)

There was recently a discussion about calculators:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/488889-ps-tells-us-we-have-to-buy-a-100-calculator-for-honors-algebra/

I'm no expert, but surely there are apps for that by now.  Right?  Unless it was for an exam, I can't imagine buying one of those old TI ones like we had in school...

My son's itouch comes with a calculator. If you turn it on its side it expands and (I think) becomes graphing.  It seems to do something special when it is in landscape view anyway. So, yes you are correct.

However, students are not permitted to bring an itouch or iphone into an exam with them. Some graphing calculators have some internet and memory capability and they are not permitted into exams either. Plus, many schools do not permit students to have itouches, phones etc in the classroom. If the calculator is to be used in an exam or in a school then the student should be familiar with all the buttons and functions well before the exam. That is why some students start using their fancy pants calculator early, so it is something they are familiar with when they take their exam.

And lots of people don't use them at all. Like I said, I wouldn't have got one at all, except I know my son will be expected to have one for an exam he is taking in June. Now, I have zero idea if he will need to actually use it, but he is allowed to have it, and the school is supposed to provide one if he doesn't.

I'm no expert, but surely there are apps for that by now.  Right?  Unless it was for an exam, I can't imagine buying one of those old TI ones like we had in school...

I don't allow my students to use calculator apps in class. They can't stop themselves from texting.

I sure wouldn't pay full price for a TI for a student at this level. I got my TI-81 (yeah it's old, but I know where all the buttons are and it does everything I want it to) for five bucks on ebay.

I think one year is enough to practice with a fancypants calculator, so I would get one the year before either taking an exam which uses one, or going to public school/university.

My Dh stumbled across TI calculators (83 or 84, I don't recall which) marked down drastically at Kmart a couple of years ago. They must have been considered a back-to-school item, and he found them doing early Christmas shopping. He grabbed two, for my stepson and niece, for under $25 apiece. He found them while wandering through the electronics department, so it was a lucky accident. I would definitely check around before paying full price for one.