Menu

Should my second grader change his work habits?

My second grader is very driven and is not easily distracted.  However, the way he works drives ME nutty.  He has a box with all his "seat" work in it and I give him an assignment sheet to check off.   (He likes lists!).

However, he never sticks with something.  He has like 3 different subjects going at once.  He works on Latin copywork, then he jumps over and does 1/2 page of arithmetic, then he goes over and works on something else.  He has all these things open at once.  He jumps back and forth until everything is done.

He gets everything done in a timely manner and does it well.

But shouldn't he have to do things in an orderly fashion?  or no? 

If he is getting things done, then I would leave it alone.

If he is driven and works well this way, I would give him his work and walk into the other room to fold laundry or something.

(Personally, it would drive me crazy too, but if the work is done and right then I would leave it alone!)

My dd never does any work in an orderly way. If I ask her what number she is on in math after she has worked for an hour, she might say #1, and then add, it is the last one.  :001_rolleyes:

If he is jumping when his attention is lost and that allows him to "reset" his focus, he has already learned to do something that many people never learn. Well done! I'd leave him alone as long as it is working for him.

Yeah, I would leave him alone.  If he's missing problems, or not getting stuff done, or something like that, I'd correct him, but if this is just how his mind and body work, I wouldn't worry about it.  My husband and I are much the same way, can't work on one thing for a large extended time, and while it's a little annoying to me personally that I work that way, unless it becomes a symptom of a larger problem, I wouldn't worry about it in your son.  It does sound like he knows how he works and is working within that, and that's a very valuable skill.

ETA: In me, it IS a symptom of a larger problem, because I do have trouble completing things, but in my DH, it's just the way he works.  He's very, very good at what he does but just doesn't work linearly on one thing until it's done; he switches gears often.  But he gets things done on time and does them well, so I think it's just that his mind needs to switch to something else for a while to renew itself.

I've taught my 4th grader to do that. If he has a math and English lesson and some reading, I'll tell him to do a bit of math, do a bit of English, read a bit, then repeat the process until done. Switching gears refreshes the mind.

My DH does the same thing when working around the house. He'll have a few tasks that he switches between, and he gets a lot done.

You've also probably heard of Flylady, who recommends the same thing for cleaning your house. ;)