Menu

Teaching Commonplace Book S/O 10 Books in Bunker

Hunter

Do any of you have a crib notes notebook of bits and pieces of information you have taken from curriculum you didn't want to keep or always pull out? Scope and sequences, charts, book lists, etc.? The meat without all the scripts and fluff?

I'm thinking of getting a really nice journal and copying what I need in tiny script, so I have it all in one place.

This is a S/O from

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/487962-10-books-in-an-underground-bunker/?p=5196393

I have never done this, but it feels like it would be a really neat project.  And while I typically do my stuff on the iPad, I like the idea of having a physical book.  Like a little scrapbook with quotes and printed things cut out and so forth all together in one place.

I think "Teaching Commonplace Book."

I changed the title. Thanks farrarwilliams!

I do EVERYTHING on the iPad Mini right now, but I want my crib notes in a small and nice journal. Something small enough I CAN lug around, and more dependable than tech, which is NEVER entirely dependable. It's just NOT!

I'm not talking about just any old information, but the real gems that we keep an entire book, just for what will fill two pages if written tiny.

I might type out the info, in tiny text with small borders, and keep both a printed and a digital copy. I definitely want something in hardcopy though. Condensed, not copy and paste.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried to do this actually.  I started compiling bits and pieces on Notability - pictures, articles, quotes, notes to myself.  But I haven't gotten very far.  I should make a goal of sitting down once a month and adding a page or something.  I think that would probably be nice.

When I was teaching in China, the school gave me copious amounts of planning time.  But, of course, there was nothing else I had to do.  So I would sit in the English office and I had a massive set of teaching books that I would update.  It was probably too much reflection (though it may have been more needed to juggle the crazy number of classes that I had to visit and keep the kids all semi-straight) but it was brilliant to have that sort of teaching reflection time and really have to do it.  I don't carve enough of that out for myself now.  And because I only have two students (who, good grief, I know other people occasionally mix them up, but I should hope I can tell them apart), the reflection is more about articles and things I want to keep in mind to keep my educational thoughts focused.

• 6 months later...

Do any of you have a crib notes notebook of bits and pieces of information you have taken from curriculum you didn't want to keep or always pull out? Scope and sequences, charts, book lists, etc.? The meat without all the scripts and fluff?

I'm thinking of getting a really nice journal and copying what I need in tiny script, so I have it all in one place.

This is a S/O from

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/487962-10-books-in-an-underground-bunker/?p=5196393

Hunter,did you end up creating one of these?

I love the sound of it. I make a "thinking book" each year. I start it when I begin planning for the new school year. It contains lists,inspiring quotes, anything that I will find useful or encouraging for the year ahead. I add to it over the year.

I really like this idea of a teaching commonplace book. Off to mull!