Menu

Arthritis - are there any effective treatments?

songsparrow

A close relative suffers from arthritis.  I know that they are in pain daily in their joints - hip, knees, etc. (managed with Advil). They are hesitant to discuss it with their doctor, assuming that the doctor will want to do knee replacement surgery or something similar.

Before I encourage them to talk to their doctor, I wanted to find out - are there any effective treatments for arthritis nowadays?  Any info is greatly appreciated!

Yes, there are lots of medications. My husband gives himself one shot every 2 weeks. He went from literally crawling on the floor every morning because he could not stand, to not having any pain at all. Please encourage your relative to talk with their doctor.

Sometimes arthritis is cause entirely by food sensitivities. if they did a blood IgG test or a food sensitivities diet to figure out if this is true for them, just eliminating that food would remove the arthritis issue. For me, gluten causes my arthritis. If I have none at all, it is gone. This isn't true for everyone though.

Coming from the place of a parent of a child who has arthritis as a co-morbid condition secondary to another, more severe condition.

Yes!

Encourage them to talk to their doctor and to continue to talk with the doctor if a trail of medication doesn't help. The magic key for DS's arthritis was once a week oral Methotrexate. The improvement was night and day. It is NOT a drug without side effects and it was not the first. He is on that and another disease modifying agent along with another medication that treats a co-morbid condition. His rheumatologist was reluctant to start another intense drug but after everything else failed he went ahead and gave it a try. It is really amazing now that he is on the correct medication. He still has pain but is doing so well on this that we decided to hold off on increasing the dose until his gains slow. 

Joining in on the chant of "yes, and please encourage them to see a doctor".  Is it always possible to end up 100% pain free and no issues  -- NOPE.  But even the slightest difference can make a world of difference and improve the person's quality of life.  I am not 100% pain/symptom free, but let me tell 'ya, I am better off for being on meds than not.

~coffee~