Menu

3rd Grade Plans

bnwhitaker

We started school this week and thought it would be fun to see what you all ended up deciding for the year!

Writing

IEW-Bible Heros

SWI-A (hopefully start)

Spelling

SWR ( 5 words a week)

Grammar

MCT Island (just reading through the book, 2.5 months)

Shurley 3 (spine) Start in Jan done by June.

Vocabulary

Wordly Wise 3000 (online 10-15 min day)

Cursive

Pentime 

Copywork

Math

MUS Gamma (Spine 3x week)

TT3 (practice 2x week)

LoF (fun to read together- they love it 1x a week)

MM (practice pages 2x week)

Sing Challenge (1x a week)

Science- Physics (Units- Machines, Motion, Heat & Energy) 5 months for science

Supercharged (Units online are our spine)

God's Design (supplement our units)

Living Books (cause its fun to read)

Evan-Moor Daily (its more spiral hitting many subjects and its about 5 min a day, easy morn workboxes)

*Bird Unit- Apologia Zoology ch. 1-6 audio w/ lapbook (1 month)

*Rock Unit- NorthWest Treasures Rock Identification (1 month)

Geography  4 months for Geo

Earth Expedition- Europe & Asia

Visualize World Geography- Europe & Asia

Evan-Moor Daily & MCG  (Mapping its about 5-10 min a day, they love it)

History

Veritas Online (its great)

Veritas History Cards w/ their books (because I want it to stick well and like to use more than one method and cuddle during our reading time)  ( They practice their cards as part of workboxes)

Timeline- Homeschool in the woods ( 1x a month)

STOW  audio at the end of the year for fun  (takes a vacation and popping in the audio in the cd player they enjoy it)

Latin

Prima Latina ( 2x week)

Root Words

MCT Caesar"s English  (starting in jan - jun, 2x week)

Critical Thinking

Building Thinking Skills ( 2 pages a day, 3x week, morning workboxes)

Dr. Funster ( 1 page day, 1x week, workboxes)

Bible

Bible Study for All Ages (Jan - June)

Explorer's Bible Study- God's Promises (morning workboxes)

Discover for yourself studies ( summers & Sept- Dec)

Verses 1 a week

Love Charlotte Mason Method (we use memlok cards with it)

Memlok

Whoo, that looks like a lot :)  We block schedule and use the whole year.  We also do not do all those all year long! :)

Wow bnwhitaker, that does look like a lot!

My 3rd grader is doing:

Math: a mix of Mathematical Reasoning (Thinking Company), Math Mammoth, and Beast Academy

Science: some physics, electronics, and magnetism kits

History: TOG, mostly just read alouds, plus Classical Conversations

Language Arts: Copywork and reading, I plan to have him choose one book a month from my list to read himself, otherwise listening to family read alouds

Foreign Language: currently Chinese, Michel Thomas method CD's and Mango App

Cello and piano

Maybe I should go back and clarify more :)  I thought more writing would make it look even more busy;)

We really only have a main spine of each subject and I use the others as supplemental.  Very softly picking and choosing what we'd like to add in.

They have their morning workboxes they can do on their own, then we do our 3 -3 1/2 hrs of school together later morning & afternoon.

We are done by 3pm, not too bad :) 

We just started last week and my third grader is doing:

Math: Math Mammoth and Beast Academy

Bible: BSGAA

Writing: IEW

Grammar: MCT

Spelling and Writing: Spalding

History: SOTW

Art: Atlier

Foreign Lang: Getting Started With Latin

Piano Lessons

My third grader is doing:

English -- Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing, Evan-Moor Daily Language Review. She is a natural speller, so the only spelling we do is correction of her written work. She reads a lot of books, and is taking a journalism class and a drama class at co-op.

Math -- Singapore Math 3A. She's about 2/3 of the way through it, as this is a continuation from last year.

Science -- She is taking two science classes at co-op. Other than that, we go to museums, watch documentaries, go hiking, and talk about science. Sometimes I pull out science activities on a rainy day. But really, there's no coherent plan for science.

Oh, and she's taking my Lego Mindstorms class at co-op. So I guess that's three science classes.

History -- Again, nothing coherent going on for history. She does Evan-Moor 7 Continents Geography, and is currently on Asia. Her Anki memory work includes a lot of geography. We watch a German news program for kids daily, which provides for current events discussion and a certain amount of history. We also visit museums and historic sites.

German -- She attends a German Saturday school program for native speakers, reads German books (currently, she's reading the seventh Harry Potter book in translation; I'm looking forward to her reading more books that were written in German to begin with once she finishes it.), and watches German podcasts. She gets a lot of grammar at Saturday school and through the homework she does for it, which of course also applies to English.

Art -- She's taking an art class and a photography class at co-op, plus we go to the various art museums here and participate in their programs.

Music -- She takes piano lessons with dad. She also plays the recorder, though she no longer takes lessons. We also attend kids' programs at the symphony.

PE -- Karate

Math – Singapore 3, XtraMath

English – First Language Lessons 3

Writing – IEW Geography Based, Writing With Ease

Spelling – Spelling Workout C/D

Latin – Prima Latina

Handwriting – Zaner Bloser 3

History – Story of the World 3 & 4 (13yo is using these with Sonlight H, so 3rd grader is tagging along with the history and read alouds.)

Geography – BF Geography, MCP Maps

Science – Sonlight D

Reading - Selections from WWE, SOTW Activity Guides, and Sonlight D/E (I can't give this child enough books. All she wants to do is read.)

Piano

Morning Time: Child's Story Bible, Hymns with Mr. Pipes, Veritas History Cards and song, Scripture memory, Poetry, other reading

I've used all of this with my other dc, except the geography. It's going very well so far.

Third Grade here:

Bible: 

BSGFAA

Math

Math Mammoth 3B-4

Language Arts;

Spelling: AAS 4

Writing Brave Writer

Grammar: FLL 3

Handwriting: Write Through the Bible

History: 

US History with Sonlight D readers/read alouds

Science

Education Exploration

Song School Latin

Conversational Spanish

piano and gymnastics

We are using:

Spelling- SWR (20 words per week)

Math- MM 3

Grammar/Vocabulary- Shurley 3

Cursive- Cursive First

Reading- selections by mom plus a couple of lit guides

Writing- copywork and summaries of reading

History- SOTW 4

Science- Apologia Chemistry and Physics

Geography- US geography through outline maps and iPad apps, Geography Songs

Typing- Typing Instructor

My daughter is doing:

Math-Saxon 3 with Life of Fred as a supplement

History-Story of the World Vol. 1

Spelling- Spelling Work out C and D

Grammer- FLL 3

Writing-WWE 3

Science-we will be covering Animals/human body/plants

Latin-Song School Latin

Bible Story everyday

Cursive-HWWT

Reading- combined choices of Mom and her

Never mind. The OP didn't ask for advice. Sheesh. What a busybody I am!! ::face palm::

Oh Ellie, Now your making me wonder what you said to me :)

Would it be that SWR has those other subjects in it?? Just taking a wild guess. 

Or that I could do more words a week?? That's a weaker guess;)

OP here :)  I realize it looks like a lot!   But we do 3 hours a day together of work & they do 1 1/2 in a.m. by themselves and we do this 4 days a week. 

I did post this earlier that I do not do all those curr. full out.  I do pieces of the parts I like.  I do have spines which I marked that I do "follow" more so. 

But even Shurley 3 as an example we do 2 lessons at a time and skip a lot of it, so we get done in 26 weeks.  Hope that makes more sense to those  

of you who were wondering :) 

OP here :)  I realize it looks like a lot!   But we do 3 hours a day together of work & they do 1 1/2 in a.m. by themselves and we do this 4 days a week. 

I did post this earlier that I do not do all those curr. full out.  I do pieces of the parts I like.  I do have spines which I marked that I do "follow" more so. 

But even Shurley 3 as an example we do 2 lessons at a time and skip a lot of it, so we get done in 26 weeks.  Hope that makes more sense to those  

of you who were wondering :)

Well, when I say something looks like a lot what I am thinking is it would be overwhelming to me. I'm not judging whether or not you and your child should be doing all of that :) I have five children, three of whom are now school age and two littles getting underfoot and needing attention. The only way school will get done around here is if I keep it simple and to the point--decide on my priorities and go with those. Anything as complex as your schedule would be completely unworkable for me and mine.

Oh Ellie, Now your making me wonder what you said to me :)

Would it be that SWR has those other subjects in it?? Just taking a wild guess. 

Or that I could do more words a week?? That's a weaker guess;)

Yes, it was that you could do more words a week--I would expect at least 20--but also yes, it's more effective to use something to its fullest extent than to use just part of it and add in other stuff, especially when that something is probably better than the stuff you add in.. :-)

Yes, it was that you could do more words a week--I would expect at least 20--but also yes, it's more effective to use something to its fullest extent than to use just part of it and add in other stuff, especially when that something is probably better than the stuff you add in.. :-)

I plan on bumping it up if it feels like we should do more, Im flexible. I am only starting off with 5 a week this year and then the next year doing 10 a week and the next year 20.  On our schedule I have us finishing up our 2000 words (d-z) by 6th grade which is 4 years.  Feels like a good amount to me but again if we want to speed it up I wont hesitate.  I think that those words are college level by the time we get to list z?  "I think" that is what I remember her saying.  So that is a great level to be at by 6th grade! 

As far as the other add ins.  If I remember what Wanda told me right I'm pretty sure she said in class that the grammar and any writing were not full on programs.  I don't think she was saying it would be "bad" if SWR was all they got or that we "had" to add more in.    But it was very clear that SWR is more of a "spelling" program than the other subjects.  To me grammar is a high priority for us so that is why I choose to do more.  She also said IEW was a great program to do also.  But I am very open to doing what I feel lead is best and never try to be close minded or that I think I have it all figured out I know I don't :)

I also understand people and circumstances are all different.  BUT SWR (Spaulding) is one of my most solid subjects in my mind that I don't see a lot of comparable to.  Just my opinion but the phonics of it is amazing!!! I feel very blessed by it!

BUT SWR (Spaulding) is one of my most solid subjects in my mind that I don't see a lot of comparable to. 

SWR is not Spalding (notice the spelling). SWR is a Spalding spin-off. :-)

For myself, I would want to finish the words in the spelling list earlier before my dc was 11yo, but that's just me. :-)

For third grade this year, my ds is doing:

Bible: reading through New Testament

Math: Singapore

Grammar: Abeka

Spelling: SWR (20 words/wk)

Writing: IEW All Things Fun & Fascinating

History: some MFW Adventures reading along w/ Children's Encyclopedia of American History and other US History read alouds

Science: Christian Kids Explore Biology

Art/Music: MFW Adventures + piano lessons

My list for my third grader. (Note he is still 7 years old and wouldn't turn 8 for another 2 1/2 months, but in our area he would be considered grade 3)

Math: Singapore Math, when finished we will go to Beast Academy

Grammar: Growing with Grammar (Does it with his brother)

Spelling: Spelling Power, When he is ready he will switch over to Sequential Spelling.

Does 3 sentences I dictate using his spelling words

Reading: Reading with me something of his choice for 20 minutes a day till his ability improves

History: SOTW 4, and copy work. (Does it with his brother)

French: Whatever we have out from the library. 20 minutes in the morning and 10 mintues before bed. (Does it with his brother)

Science: Mr. Q Science. (Does it with his brother)

Piano: Faber series. He starts 2A next week

Cursive: He isn't learning cursive yet, but we call this subject cursive for lack of a better name. He is using HWT. When he gets better with his printing he will switch over to the cursive book. 

He does listen in on his brother's WWE lesson, but I feel he isn't ready for it yet. 

We do a bunch of read alouds, and or books on audio.

SWR is not Spalding (notice the spelling). SWR is a Spalding spin-off. :-)

For myself, I would want to finish the words in the spelling list earlier before my dc was 11yo, but that's just me. :-)

Ha, yes I myself am a HORRIBLE speller!! Did I spell that correct :)  Oh well, I'll just have to learn with my little's. Spaulding was a family members last name and I have it programed that way.

And I do understand SWR a spalding spin-off, Wanda taught us all about Mrs. Spaulding in class (loved it).  Haha and just in case I missed it in class I've seen you type that sentence to so many people I learned very early 

on "that is just a spin-off" :)  ha  its a good one though!  :)  Thanks Ellie your great! 

If we feel like were going to slow I'll bump it up and maybe they will get done by 11yo but 12 is okay by me at this point :) 

our current selections:

math- mm, lof for fun, xtra math, cwp as she wants to

logic- thinkables, logic countdown

phonics- finishing up phonics pathways, etc

grammar- fll

spelling- currently spelling power but may change to rod and staff

handwriting- cursive from a scholastic book i have and remediating print with hwt

vocab- wordly wise

writing- still undecided. having a hard time finding something that will work for both of us

lit- books from various reading lists plus little house series

reading- abeka readers in the car

science- apologia botany, nature connection, and they have a science box stocked so they can do experiments whenever they like

history- sotw

Bible- apologia's who is God, reading through the Bible, and will start the discover for yourself series when she decides to get baptized and receives her own "real" Bible

latin- lively latin

greek (she begged for it)- greek code cracker

art- random drawing thing i found at a used curric sale

miscellaneous- music, ice skating, sewing (hand and machine), global studies using curric from heifer international, character/virtue study, Bible memory work, cooking

wow, that looks like a lot for us, too. we do our afternoon basket work all together over lunch (devotion, poetry, character study, nature reading, Bible verses, maybe art), then I read to/with her for approximately 1.5 hours (history, science, Bible, lit, lof, phonics, grammar, spelling). then she does independent/table work for about 45 minutes (greek, etc, latin, handwriting, cwp, logic, writing, ww, math). we are still finishing some things up from last year due to an unexpected pregnancy that forced us to take a few months off this summer so some things will get shuffled around. i know fll 3 will move to table work as opposed to reading time and if we switch to r&s spelling it will move to independent work also. we're still easing in trying to get  feel for things, but in total her school is roughly 2-3 hours/day.

We've been back to school for three weeks now. So far my third grader is doing:

Math: MM 3A/3B and xtramath

Science: NOEO Biology II

Writing: Evan Moor Daily 6 Trait Writing

Grammar: FLL 3

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

History: SOTW Ancients

Foreign Language: DuoLingo Spanish, considering finding a Spanish tutor and/or buying Rosetta Stone

Music: piano lessons and children's choir

PE: swimming and diving lessons, ice skating in the winter

Other: A homeschool class that combines folklore, world cultures, storytelling, arts and crafts and geography. "Social studies," I guess you'd call it. He also takes a nature class where they learn survival skills, animal tracking, plant identification, navigational skills, fire building, etc.