Menu

SOTW1 Users--notebooking tips?

How do you do the notebooking?

Do you do a narration page + illustration for every chapter or for every "mini chapter"? (For ex. would you do one narration page and illustration for Chapter one, or would you do one for The Earliest People and then a seperate one for Nomads becoming farmers?)

Also.. and this is my main question.. where do you have them write their narrations? Or where do you write them? My copy of WTM mentioned handwriting paper... but it is feeling way too unorganized having so many seperate papers. I would like for her narrations and illustration to be on the same piece of paper (maybe narrate on the back of the picture? Idk) but then she wouldn't be writing on handwriting paper... is that no big deal?

I'm really trying not to be so darn obsessive. lol. I may be failing at that.

What age? I didn't have my 1st grader/ 6yo write his narration because he's weak in handwriting and our regular handwriting was more than enough for the day.

I don't think it hurts them to write on blank paper, so doing it on the back of the illustration is a good idea. We used the activity book so I had him color or do the pages or activities from there and a narration. I wrote the narrations on paper and just kept a log of them to reduce paper usage. And we did do a narration for each sub chapter.

http://www.twilightandsunrise.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

http://www.twilightandsunrise.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-r

results=50

http://www.twilightandsunrise.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=50

Here are some notebook pages from second grade. Dd would tell me her narrations in first grade. Then I would write them (for the first few weeks.) In second grade, I had her narrate in complete sentences, which I'd write on the white board. We'd edit, then she'd copy them onto these pages. We found the pictures on the web. There's also a yahoo group with timeline and narration pictures that coordinate to SOTW books. 

ETA: Oh, sorry, those go just to the blog--just scroll down and you can see her work. Hope that isn't too difficult. 

for a 6 year old I just have them narrate back to me. You can find notebooking pages to go along with it. I just keep a folder with their coloring pages, mapwork and narration pages. I have 2 doing it together. My 3rd grader does his own writing for narrationsThis first link is some notebooking pages you could do 

http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/notebooking_history_geography.shtml

I just like the link to the 2nd and also if you do yahoo there are some nice resources on hannah hs helps

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/p/story-of-world-resources-for-volume-one.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hannah_hs_helps/

(hopefully link works :) )

My kids write SOTW summaries in the journal and illustrate them (sort of like a main lesson book from Waldorf). We also glue the trim maps glued them alng with other interested activities pages into our journal. I want them to have something solid in their hands in history and science by the end of the year. They also read over their summaries for review.

We don't really do notebook pages (at least not with summaries, etc.). I just have DD6 answer the narration questions orally, talk to me about something she learned and then do the coloring page, map and sometimes another activity page and/or supplemental reading. I keep the activity papers in a notebook, and I figure that's plenty to show for history for first grade.

I have my ds6 and my dd8 doing SOTW1 together this year.  We do the review questions and narration after each chapter section, and the map work and coloring and so forth at the end of the entire chapter.  We take about a week to cover an entire chapter.

Here's how we do the activities.  They both answer the review questions aloud, and it's my dd8 who does the narration: we discuss it, I write it on the board, and she copies it onto filler paper in her history binder.  (I'm letting my ds6 off with narrations this year because he's only just turned 6 and is not yet reading...I just want him to get the main gist, which he does fine with our other activities.) 

With the end-of-chapter stuff, it's my dd8 who does the mapwork, and each map then gets hole-punched and added to the history binder, next to the page of relevant narrations.  She also has some timeline figures which get cut and pasted into a timeline book at relevant points.  My ds does the coloring, which goes into his history binder, in addition to doing some History Pockets color-cut-n-pasting when relevant.  Then we read some "extra reading" books together, and sometimes do one of the projects.

So far, it's going really well, the kids are both learning tons, and history is one of their stand-out favorite subjects.

I again vote for the Activity Book. :D  The kids generally drew or colored while I read to them. Then the various stages of narration depending on age. When they were young I kept some lined paper that had the top half blank. They could add a drawing to whatever they were writing. It was fun for them.

I got the set of blank notebooking pages from NotebookingPages.com (they're like $5 for the set). They have lots of options for illustrations or sometimes we print a picture off the Internet. I print a bunch of them on different colored papers, and then dd chooses the one that works best for her designs. They are ruled for little kids (and the set includes the same templates ruled for older kids, too). We love this option--it looks nice and neat but doesn't get boring.

Blank top handwriting paper worked well for us when we used SOTW 1. The boys would draw a picture from the chapter (usually a bunch of people with their heads chopped off!) and then I would write their narration below.

Now I tend to print a copy of the map for the chapter, and on the back side of the paper I print off a copy of my chapter questions complete with the chapter name, a place for their name, the date, etc. So they have their map and their narration page on the same paper. That has simplified things a lot. I do have to do a little work to make it, but with history only two to three times a week, it isn't bad, and forces me to spend some time thinking about what they should remember from the chapter. That improves discussion for me.

I have my ds6 and my dd8 doing SOTW1 together this year.  We do the review questions and narration after each chapter section, and the map work and coloring and so forth at the end of the entire chapter.  We take about a week to cover an entire chapter.

This is our plan! Thank you for the advice!

Blank top handwriting paper worked well for us when we used SOTW 1. The boys would draw a picture from the chapter (usually a bunch of people with their heads chopped off!) and then I would write their narration below.

I was thinkiing about getting some more of this type of paper. I just can't stand putting the handwriting paper in our notebook because its so easy to tear. Construction paper, for example, is much more durable for us. I'll have to try both and see which works better.

I was thinkiing about getting some more of this type of paper. I just can't stand putting the handwriting paper in our notebook because its so easy to tear. Construction paper, for example, is much more durable for us. I'll have to try both and see which works better.

I print mine out from Donna Young's website. I don't care for the flimsy stuff they sell either. For a while, I was actually copying that paper onto stronger printer paper because I couldn't stand the tearing either. Another option might be to buy plastic page protecters and put the completed papers in there.

I print mine out from Donna Young's website. I don't care for the flimsy stuff they sell either. For a while, I was actually copying that paper onto stronger printer paper because I couldn't stand the tearing either. Another option might be to buy plastic page protecters and put the completed papers in there.

Ahhh! Thank you. Great idea.