Menu

Do I want a steam mop? Which one?

KungFuPanda

I hate to shop. I don't even like reading reviews unless its UK Amazon, and those don't really help with purchasing. I also hate to mop. I vacuum my kitchen, and it's so improved that I quit there. I haven't mopped in a month. A MONTH! Please tell me straight, will a steam mop make this easier? Which steam mop?

I have the Shark Professional Steam Mop. And yes, it makes life much easier…my kids can even mop the floors now! LOL.

I started off with a less expensive one (I can’t remember the name at the moment) and it broke very quickly. I have had the Shark for a couple of years now and it is still going strong.

I clean houses part time for extra income, and I've used an Eureka Envirosteamer for the past two years. I bought it based on the reviews which found that it gets hotter than the Shark and Bissell. I'm 100% happy with it. Despite using it several times a week in rather large houses for years, it hasn't diminished in its performance at all.

Ok. I've had Sharks, Oreck, and Haan.

I started with Sharks about 5 years ago. They kept getting cheaper and cheaper quality. My first one lasted two years (you pupmed the handle while you mopped and that thing got HOT). Then the next two mops made it 6 months and 4 months.

So then I tried the $200 Oreck. That was the hottest I've ever had a steam mop go, but it broke after less than a WEEK. And it took so much fighting with that Amazon vendor that I wandered off vowing to never purchase another Oreck anything.

So now I have the Haan. It has scrubby material mop heads. Love that. It can sorta stand up on its own but not really. Teeny tank. But it's removable so I bring the water to the mop, not the mop to the RO water faucet.  

There are my experiences with steam mopping so far. I have a tile and wood floor house. I would die without one but I haven't found the perfect mop yet.

I have owned 2 Bissels and the Eureka Envirosteamer, and I'm passionately in love with my newest steam mop, the Haan Total.  It sweeps and mops AT THE SAME TIME!! I owned the Bissel Steam&Sweep which does the same thing, but the Haan does it so much better.  Really, it's is superior by far, in design and function, to any other steam mop I've owned.  I do wish its cord was ~8" longer.  But hey, can't have it all.  :tongue_smilie:

I bought a Haan after a big thread here a few years ago.  It was compared to Bissel and Hoover I think.  So I bought the Haan (not the one the previous poster linked) and I've enjoyed it a lot.  It steam cleans my wood floors and tile floors.  I don't think it really gets out stuck on sticky stuff that easily like I read in reviews... if there's a glob of jam or a spot where juice or sauce dripped and dried,well, you're probably going to need to go over it a dozen times to get it off or just wipe it yourself with something.

It's funny there are many good reviews for Shark on this thread; back when I was reading amazon reviews it seemed that everyone had returned their Sharks for something else.

I say don't fret over which one.  The big brand names are good and hopefully you could return one that just happened to not work out for ya. 

I got the Eureka enviroclean. It arrived today. ( I didn't go with haan because I'm trying to get over shelling out for 'the best' and only pay for ' good enough to serve my needs.') IT'S SO FAST! I cleaned upstairs and downstairs with two 'tanks' of water in about 15 minutes, if that. The drawback is that I have some peel and stick tile squares that I'm not supposed to use it on, so I moved quickly and didn't linger long enough to melt any glue :-/ I 'may' have used it on the kids' shower ðŸ˜I love not fussing with a cleaner and a bucket to do a quick clean-up.

Thanks for all of the help and advice!

I have a Monster. I never see that brand mentioned on the threads. But it's been fantastic for us for several years. With our first one, the handle eventually broke. But I haven't had that issue with the subsequent one--it seems the design changed a bit. The first review on the Eureka Enviro Hard Surface linked above compares the various types of steamers. They have the Monster on there-all of the major ones actually. It's a well done review.

I have the Shark Professional Steam Mop. And yes, it makes life much easier…my kids can even mop the floors now! LOL.

First, let me say I WISH I could get away with not mopping my floor for a month. If that were any remote possibility, I would ;).

I have this same mop and it takes me 20 minutes to mop my huge kitchen floor, with a traditional mop it takes me 45. I love it! My six year old mops our three bathroom floors with it, so it took that chore off my plate, which makes it worth its weight in gold.