Menu

Recent Landry Academy Reviews ??? Should we take the plunge??

Hello Everyone,

I have read the reviews for Landry on both HSR and TWTM, but both seemed very mixed. Several said their children were enrolled for the past year or this summer. It would be very helpful to hear from those whose children completed a course over the last few years. Landry has a 50% discount for 1 to 4 semesters if purchased by August 31 but am uncertain if it is worth the investment.

We are especially interested in high school biology and writing.

THANK YOU!

Dina

My oldest took English IV last year.  He started the year throwing fits about having to write papers and procrastinating until the last minute and ended the year doing them early so he didn't have to think about them anymore.  While he doesn't love writing, the class really drew him out of the "I can't do this" thinking.  I actually signed up my 3 oldest kids for English classes this year.  Already they are all doing things for class that they would have fought with me if I assigned those things.  I've been very happy in our limited exposure to their classes.

I would be really leery of prepaying for 2014 fall classes now. That raises a gigantic red flag in my financial analyst mind--mainly that they may have severe cash flow issues and may not be around to provide those prepaid classes. I'd look into their finances very carefully before I paid that far in advance.

• Like 1

Landry opens up a very narrow window in August to purchase "generic credits" at 50%+ off their full price that can be used the following school year and beyond because they never expire.  I purchased generic credits in August 2012 to use this year at 52% off the full rate, and I registered my daughter for classes this year without a hitch.  In fact, I dropped one of the classes I signed her up for, and the credits were transferred back into my account to use at a future date.  Because I purchased generic credits a year in advance, this year's class only cost $340 whereas a previous Landry class cost $512 because I registered for it late in the year.   August has the best rates, and then the rate will increase 2% every 2 weeks until they reach full price some time next summer for classes held during the 2014-15 school year, so the earlier you buy the greater the savings.  Yes, I suppose there is a risk in purchasing ahead, but thus far my limited experience with Landry has been positive. This week I purchased 7 generic semesters to use for future classes, so each 2 semester class will run $330. 

Last year, my daughter took English III with Marilyn Whitlock, and I recommend her.

My daughter just started Spanish I this year with Josie Ramos, so it is too early to give a report.

• Like 1

This is our first year with Landry Academy.  My daughter is taking Japanese.   Her teacher is very good and a native speaker.  My DD has studied before with her at a co-op.  I'm hoping to purchase a couple generic semesters this month for her class next year.  It saves a lot of money.

Debbie Stokes teaches Biology. She's been there at least 2 years probably more like 4. I noticed her sections filled fast. There were students in her class who had had her last year for anatomy and physiology commenting she was a great teacher. This is our 3rd LA class and she does the best I've seen so far in keeping 20+ kids engaged in an online learning environment. 

The other 2 classes we've taken were intro Art and, young Biology. Let's just say I spent more money than I've ever spent at one time this year to buy LA generics to use over the next 2 years for highschool for my 3.

Landry's website has sample class recordings from some of their teachers, so I always watch the recorded class to get a feel for the teacher's style before I decide whether or not to enroll my daughter in their class.  If there is not a sample of a recorded class, I always ask the teacher to send me a link to a class they have taught, so I can watch it first.  It helps me see how well they manage the students when class is in session, how they handle chatting, their teaching style, etc...

• Like 3

Thank you all for your posts. We have considered Landry, too. Now I can be more confident about taking that plunge myself :)

Classical,

Just wanted to share that I contacted Debbie Stokes via email and was highly impressed with her enthusiasm, openness, and professionalism. I can't comment on any other instructors, but certainly feel confident about biology next year for my DD. 

• 8 months later...
Guest KristyM

We've been using Landry for the past few years. There are a number of classes that we have used that have been outstanding, and very few that have missed the mark. What makes the difference, of course, is the instructor. If you use someone who is recommended, that helps. I've got kids from elementary through high school, and our favorite teachers include Stokes, Guerra, Whitlock, Scoggins, Frank, just to name a few. It's academically rigorous, and we definitely recommend the purchase of generic credits in late summer to be used for the following school year. That pre-planning is hard -- and a big leap of faith if you're new to Landry -- but the money saved is well worth it. We also use quite a few online classes with The Potter School, as well as a smattering with Homeschool Connections (a Catholic provider), Spanish with Homeschool Spanish Academy, and Debra Bell's AIM Academy.

One other piece of advice... when you choose online, sit with your child for at least a portion of the first few classes. If you have a legitimate reason for why you don't like the teacher, I have found the online schools to be somewhat accommodating about issuing credits to change classes. If you wait too long, however, you're out of luck. We did an online Italian class, for example, that was slow moving for my high schooler who had already had 4 years of Spanish exposure. We kept waiting for it to pick up, but after being exposed to foreign language in a 1-on-1 or even 1-on-4 setting in prior study, she was too frustrated to remain in the course. We were unable to get a refund by the time we figured that out.

I would be really leery of prepaying for 2014 fall classes now. That raises a gigantic red flag in my financial analyst mind--mainly that they may have severe cash flow issues and may not be around to provide those prepaid classes. I'd look into their finances very carefully before I paid that far in advance.

Would you apply this just to Landry? We've paid for our fall 2014 Pennsylvania Homeschoolers' courses. It's how we reserve a place in the class. Ds's AP English Literature class is full with five people on the wait list.  We have to pay for fall sailing now with spring sailing only ending last week. Again, there are only so many positions to be had.

I would consider paying now no different to the ps doing forecasting for the following year. They have to know what demand is going to be.

• Like 2

Would you apply this just to Landry? We've paid for our fall 2014 Pennsylvania Homeschoolers' courses. It's how we reserve a place in the class. Ds's AP English Literature class is full with five people on the wait list. We have to pay for fall sailing now with spring sailing only ending last week. Again, there are only so many positions to be had.

I would consider paying now no different to the ps doing forecasting for the following year. They have to know what demand is going to be.

I think the earlier comment was about paying for classes over a year in advance. I know it's not uncommon to register for classes and activities 2-6 months before they begin. But 12+ months would give me pause.

• Like 2

Well, somewhat comically, I ended up enrolling T in some Landry classes. She's done a Middle School Physical and Life Science lab and is currently finishing up the summer session of Solidifying the Foundations of Math (prealgebra). Both were very well done. The instructors were good teachers and obviously loved their subjects. The course software is very nice and clearly shows you what you need to print out, due dates and grades. It's very easy to navigate for both T and me.

TBH, I'm still a little leery of paying more than a year in advance, although the generic credits I bought at Christmas were only 6 months early for the lab and the math class and 9 months for the fall classes. I do plan to buy generic credits in August--so live and learn (and keep your fingers crossed for their financial solvency).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We've been using Landry for the past few years. There are a number of classes that we have used that have been outstanding, and very few that have missed the mark. What makes the difference, of course, is the instructor. If you use someone who is recommended, that helps. I've got kids from elementary through high school, and our favorite teachers include Stokes, Guerra, Whitlock, Scoggins, Frank, just to name a few. It's academically rigorous, and we definitely recommend the purchase of generic credits in late summer to be used for the following school year. That pre-planning is hard -- and a big leap of faith if you're new to Landry -- but the money saved is well worth it. We also use quite a few online classes with The Potter School, as well as a smattering with Homeschool Connections (a Catholic provider), Spanish with Homeschool Spanish Academy, and Debra Bell's AIM Academy.

One other piece of advice... when you choose online, sit with your child for at least a portion of the first few classes. If you have a legitimate reason for why you don't like the teacher, I have found the online schools to be somewhat accommodating about issuing credits to change classes. If you wait too long, however, you're out of luck. We did an online Italian class, for example, that was slow moving for my high schooler who had already had 4 years of Spanish exposure. We kept waiting for it to pick up, but after being exposed to foreign language in a 1-on-1 or even 1-on-4 setting in prior study, she was too frustrated to remain in the course. We were unable to get a refund by the time we figured that out.

Could you compare Landry Academy English with Potter's school English?If student finished English 1 of Potter school then what would be his next level in Landry academy English 2 or 3?As you have used both then which one do you prefer and why?I would like to choose the course which will prepare him/her adequately for AP class in the future.With Landry academy English course do you feel the need of supplementing the Writing curriculum?Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...