Menu

Would you still use these?

I soaked pinto beans over night Wednesday night. Thursday morning I took out what I needed to make refried beans in the crockpot, then put the rest of the beans (6-8 cups or so soaked and drained) on the washing machine out of the way. Then I forgot about them! So here it is Friday night -- would you still cook them up and use them? They didn't smell bad but sort of felt slimy, maybe. Maybe not.

What do you think?

Okay, how about onion salsa that's been in the fridge for a week or so? It had a good wash in fresh-squeezed lime juice when it was made. Again, can't tell by smell or feel. Am I going to be okay? (That one I ate).

By the way, I discovered this salsa at our local cantina recently -- our kids even love it. The original was just sweet onion and cilantro, then I thought to add the lime. It's so yummy!

Did you cook the beans w/ any meat or animal fats? If so, dump 'em.

If not, heat them up and eat 'em. In my experience, when beans do go bad, you can tell - if not when they're room temp or cold, definitely when they're warmed up. But beans cooked Thursday and left out should be fine on Friday. Obviously, this is purely anecdotal (but the question is whether we'd do it, right?) - but most of our bean-eating friends will make a pot and leave it on. the. stove. for four or five days. That heebes me out, even, but they eat it and are fine. We eat at their homes, and have never gotten sick from it. Here, though, at our house, two days is about my limit, and we do still try to remember to pack it away. The only way I'll toss it if left out overnight is if I didn't put the lid on. *shudder* The thought that a moth or something may have come to a gooey, beany demise and that there's a carcas lurking in there somewhere... just can't do it! :P

The beans, if it makes any difference, were not cooked, just soaked in water (nothing else) for 8 hours and then drained. If they were cooked, I'd definitely throw them out. But since they were just soaked, I'm not as sure ...

I soaked pinto beans over night Wednesday night. Thursday morning I took out what I needed to make refried beans in the crockpot, then put the rest of the beans (6-8 cups or so soaked and drained) on the washing machine out of the way.

Okay, how about onion salsa that's been in the fridge for a week or so? It had a good wash in fresh-squeezed lime juice when it was made. Again, can't tell by smell or feel. Am I going to be okay? (That one I ate).

Presoaked beans but not cooked? I'd say eat them (cook them first). Salsa in our fridge lasts a lot longer than a week. I'd eat both.