Menu

Please help me find what curriculum will work for us!

Cross posted from the K-8 curriculum board.

This is our second year homeschooling, my DS just turned 8 and is going into 2nd grade. He will have some catching up to do tho from last year.

I started off with Sonlight Core B last year, Saxon 1 Phonics, Saxon Math 1, Apologia Exploring Creation through Astronomy. It was too much, WAY too much and we never got it all done in a day. We muttled through it tho, until I got pregnant in late October and was seriously sick until Dec. In Jan we moved from NM back to TX.
My son shows all traits of ADHD and some very Autistic traits but we do not have a diagnosis. We currently handle it with diet, it usually works well but sometimes it does not.

He has an intense hatred of rote memorization. Saxon was far from a good fit for us. It took too long, was too repetitive and he absolutely hated phonics. In the Spring, I enrolled him in Explode the Code Online. This worked well for a month or so and then again, he was bored and it was repetitive. Once this child decides he won't do something, there is nothing and I mean NOTHING that will change his mind or motivate him to do it. I've tried it all, believe me.

Saxon math was the same, he hated it. I tried Life of Fred, and BINGO he's learning, he's engaged and he's happy.

Sonlight was just too much. He is not an auditory learner, so listenting to me read for the bulk of his day was useless and it took me reading the same thing 7 or 8 times for it to even remotely sink in. Pure frustration. We finished the year out just letting him read, and enjoying Life of Fred together. The rest just fell apart.

He is a visual/kinesthetic learner mostly. I just saw the term "visual spacial" today and much of that fits for him. His long term memory is outstanding, he's quick to pick up on big ideas and tasks but still counts on his fingers for 2+3.

He has his own routine, and when it's messed with it is not a happy situation. So I need something that will create routine, but not repetitive. Does that make sense? We will continue with Life of Fred. I was thinking something like Lifepac, that is somewhat all in one but smaller and not overwhelming at once. He is a very good reader, and his reading comprehension is great. I need something I can create a schedule for him with so there are no changes to his day to throw him into a downward spiral. He's very punctual, he likes to know exactly what time such and such is happening, how long it will take, what time we leave and what time we will be home. If the plan is altered, he has a difficult time adapting to the plan and continuing to function.

I also have a 3 1/2 yearold girl to entertain, and a 6 weekold baby. I know we can be successful and enjoy homeschooling, but I am having a very hard time figuring out what curriculum to use. Unschooling is appealing to me, but he needs the structure. Our styles are nearly opposite and last year, we clashed.

Ok, I'll say something here and try to be very gentle.  If he's adhd and needs structure, it's different from if he's on the spectrum and needs structure.  I would get the evals.  I think it would change your perspective on how to handle him.  No I would not use lifepacs on him.  He reads well and sounds rather bright (learning from LoF!), so that's totally illogical.

I think you're thinking of structure in only one way: top down, what the curriculum says to do.  In his case, given what you've described, I would discuss with him the possibility of him creating his own preferred plan of structure that you help him implement.  He may be a list-maker, in which case you'll be working *with* him.  Structure can be: I have a list of 5 subjects I plan to do today and I've picked resources I want to study with each of them.  I know that for each subject I will spend 30 minutes and record in a log what I did.  He can assign times if he wishes, but wouldn't have to.  

I think IQ can affect how self-driving they are.  The evals would help you a lot, and I'd encourage you to pursue them as soon as practical.

Can he *read* for his history and science?  Can he *do* for his history and science?  Sounds like you're on track with the Life of Fred math, definitely.  There you have narrative, print (not auditory), and engagement.  So repeat that with history and science.  Don't get too freaky about reading.  As long as he's actually reading on level, he doesn't need a reading program.  There's nothing hands-on or engaging about lifepacs, which is why I wouldn't bother.  Usborne books, something he can read, the Veritas Press online self-paced history, CHOW (yes, try this!).  He's at a great age to do GEMS science units or TOPs.  Or just read topical books from the library.  The structure doesn't have to be the *content* but it can be just the routine of how you work and knowing what pile you're working through during that segment of time.  

Just so you know, what you're describing is not adhd.  Get the evals.  He has some tendencies and things you want to know about now so you can start working with him in a way that promotes flexibility, avoids anxiety, etc.  He's still neurologically flexible.  There are some books on this that people have listed around here in the past, so you might do some searches and see what you find.

He can be good at math while struggling with math facts. My older son does not know his very well at all, but he is a good math student. He is great with word problems, and does just fine with everything besides having quick recall of math facts.

He is in school doing Math in Focus, and they use a lot of manipulatives. He is in 3rd grade and his teacher had 8 huge tubs full of math manipulatives when we visited her classroom. It is just what he is using. They do math facts separately from MiF, they use math fact sheets they had always used. He is no good at them, he stayed on the first set of addition facts for half of the year and then his teacher moved him up bc we didn't think he would ever be able to answer quickly enough, and he was getting discouraged.

I agree, maybe I would be good to evaluate him. Maybe he could be working high in some areas. I think it might be a pleasant surprise.

Edit: also I don't think there is any problem with Life of Fred! I do just think, math facts can be one small part of math. It is not unimportant, but it is not something where it is some horrible thing that he counts on his fingers for 2+3.

Ok, I'll say something here and try to be very gentle.  If he's adhd and needs structure, it's different from if he's on the spectrum and needs structure.  I would get the evals.  I think it would change your perspective on how to handle him.  No I would not use lifepacs on him.  He reads well and sounds rather bright (learning from LoF!), so that's totally illogical.

I think you're thinking of structure in only one way: top down, what the curriculum says to do.  In his case, given what you've described, I would discuss with him the possibility of him creating his own preferred plan of structure that you help him implement.  He may be a list-maker, in which case you'll be working *with* him.  Structure can be: I have a list of 5 subjects I plan to do today and I've picked resources I want to study with each of them.  I know that for each subject I will spend 30 minutes and record in a log what I did.  He can assign times if he wishes, but wouldn't have to.  

I think IQ can affect how self-driving they are.  The evals would help you a lot, and I'd encourage you to pursue them as soon as practical.

Can he *read* for his history and science?  Can he *do* for his history and science?  Sounds like you're on track with the Life of Fred math, definitely.  There you have narrative, print (not auditory), and engagement.  So repeat that with history and science.  Don't get too freaky about reading.  As long as he's actually reading on level, he doesn't need a reading program.  There's nothing hands-on or engaging about lifepacs, which is why I wouldn't bother.  Usborne books, something he can read, the Veritas Press online self-paced history, CHOW (yes, try this!).  He's at a great age to do GEMS science units or TOPs.  Or just read topical books from the library.  The structure doesn't have to be the *content* but it can be just the routine of how you work and knowing what pile you're working through during that segment of time.  

Just so you know, what you're describing is not adhd.  Get the evals.  He has some tendencies and things you want to know about now so you can start working with him in a way that promotes flexibility, avoids anxiety, etc.  He's still neurologically flexible.  There are some books on this that people have listed around here in the past, so you might do some searches and see what you find.

You're absolutely right. After today, reading through many responses I'm thinking I'm going to keep my Sonlight, which has CHOW and many other books and go at it from a different angle. I have tons of Usborne books, both history and science from Core B. I think he's reading well enough to be able to read a lot of it himself.

We've known since he was 2 that he is on the spectrum somewhere. It's been manageable through a pretty strict diet until recently. We absolutely plan to go forward with the evals as soon as we can. After the first of the year our HSA will be replenished and we can focus on that. I used to be terrified of the diagnosis, and now I know it will be helpful and give us the tools we need to help him succeed. He is very smart, and very bright. If he's engaged and interested, it's there forever.

He can be good at math while struggling with math facts. My older son does not know his very well at all, but he is a good math student. He is great with word problems, and does just fine with everything besides having quick recall of math facts.

He is in school doing Math in Focus, and they use a lot of manipulatives. He is in 3rd grade and his teacher had 8 huge tubs full of math manipulatives when we visited her classroom. It is just what he is using. They do math facts separately from MiF, they use math fact sheets they had always used. He is no good at them, he stayed on the first set of addition facts for half of the year and then his teacher moved him up bc we didn't think he would ever be able to answer quickly enough, and he was getting discouraged.

I agree, maybe I would be good to evaluate him. Maybe he could be working high in some areas. I think it might be a pleasant surprise.

Edit: also I don't think there is any problem with Life of Fred! I do just think, math facts can be one small part of math. It is not unimportant, but it is not something where it is some horrible thing that he counts on his fingers for 2+3.

THIS! He is good with math and numbers, but the simple facts he struggles with. I have the full set of manipulatives from Saxon and we use those a lot, especially the linking cubes, incorporating some of the thought behind Math U See and it works. He can grasp huge concepts, but the little things dont click as easily. He surprised me today playing yahtzee tho, it was the kids version, but he was adding up points as we played, and only once used his fingers. After only a couple hours of Monopoly the other day he was doing much better with adding on the dice without needing his fingers. He CAN get it, it's me realizing HOW to help him get there thats the biggest key.

Here's that book I was thinking of  Unstuck and on Target!: An Executive Function Curriculum to Improve Flexibility for Children With Autism Spectrum...

Then search the boards here and see who mentioned it.  There will probably be other good books for you in that thread, and you might like to use the advanced search function to find posts by that person to get more ideas. 

And btw, for full disclosure, my kids are *not* on the spectrum.  So take my ideas with a grain of salt.  :)

He sounds similar to my oldest son at that age.  I would try videos for science and social studies (my son loved documentaries.)  He might be young enough for the Magic School Bus DVD curriculum?  Otherwise, for those subjects I'd just let him read from the library.  You don't have to do a "curriculum" for those subjects at that age, though I know my daughter (who has brothers who are spectrum, but I don't think she is) wanted to do a structured curriculum...she couldn't stand me piecing together things (she wanted things organized and all the same).  We tried ACE (similar to Lifepac) with her, and she LOVED it!  Even my spectrum boys didn't mind it too much, so I don't think that would necessarily be a bad way to go.  (We switched out of it mainly due to cost and the boys saying the science had wrong/outdated information....I didn't verify that...took their word for it, since I couldn't really afford it anyway, and I wanted better writing instruction.)  I know of a public school for spectrum kids and dyslexics that uses that format especially for these kind of kids (don't know how they got the Christian content passed, but they did.)  Because it was individually paced, it worked well in that environment.  I think you should try it for maybe all but his favorite subject....and do interest-led for his favorite subject....spend the bulk of your energy finding him things in his interest area(s).   Elizabeth is right that lifepacs aren't likely to be really engaging and fun....they just help get it done and move on, which if they are resistant, isn't all bad.

My boys liked Life of Fred, but it didn't seem to retain the material...there just wasn't enough practice/review.  My boys have done fabulous with Math-u-see.

One of my sons has autism. I think the workboxes would help immensely! You can put the work in there, and he knows what is expected of him. He can work as he sees sit, choosing which subject to do first. I totally understand what you mean about having a routine, but not repetition. This is why the workboxes could help him. All of the work is in front of him, and he knows what to expect. My son would freak at not knowing what is coming next. If I put it all in front of him, he could SEE what needs to be done all at once.

THIS! He is good with math and numbers, but the simple facts he struggles with. ...

This could be said of my ds, now age 11--NB:who, however, does not have ASD, so what has helped may be way off for your ds.  

Sumdog online math games have helped a lot with facts and speed--ds is now faster than I am at most basic math facts (except fractions).

My ds loved the LOF stories, but did not retain information from it.  He did retain well from MUS, and MUS was easy to accelerate, but ds found it boring.   Saxon was ghastly--the most boring math we've encountered and hard to accelerate.  In retrospect I might have tried a Singapore type program.

If he likes LOF, he might like MCT (Royal Fireworks Press) for language arts.    

Have you tried Story of the World for history?

Our main structure has been having a set amount of time per subject per day.

He sounds similar to my oldest son at that age.  I would try videos for science and social studies (my son loved documentaries.)  He might be young enough for the Magic School Bus DVD curriculum?  Otherwise, for those subjects I'd just let him read from the library.  You don't have to do a "curriculum" for those subjects at that age, though I know my daughter (who has brothers who are spectrum, but I don't think she is) wanted to do a structured curriculum...she couldn't stand me piecing together things (she wanted things organized and all the same).  We tried ACE (similar to Lifepac) with her, and she LOVED it!  Even my spectrum boys didn't mind it too much, so I don't think that would necessarily be a bad way to go.  (We switched out of it mainly due to cost and the boys saying the science had wrong/outdated information....I didn't verify that...took their word for it, since I couldn't really afford it anyway, and I wanted better writing instruction.)  I know of a public school for spectrum kids and dyslexics that uses that format especially for these kind of kids (don't know how they got the Christian content passed, but they did.)  Because it was individually paced, it worked well in that environment.  I think you should try it for maybe all but his favorite subject....and do interest-led for his favorite subject....spend the bulk of your energy finding him things in his interest area(s).   Elizabeth is right that lifepacs aren't likely to be really engaging and fun....they just help get it done and move on, which if they are resistant, isn't all bad.

My boys liked Life of Fred, but it didn't seem to retain the material...there just wasn't enough practice/review.  My boys have done fabulous with Math-u-see.

:iagree: The Magic Schoolbus dvd's are great-my dc have learned so much from them.  Also, the DK Science Dvd's.  They have them for almost any science topic imaginable.  And Bill Nye science guy is wonderful.  My ds loves the Usborne 100 Science Experiements book, so you could use that for easy, hands on experiments, and then it has computer links that go further with the info.  

At your ds's age, mine basically read their brains out-whatever science topic interested them.  Then, we would go further with ideas and things like the dvds, field trips, experiments, etc...  But I would not worry about doing a science curriculum.

And I second MUS.  We use it, as well as TT (my ds loves the computer) and LOF.

How does your ds do with oral learning?  For LA, you could use FLL (depending on the level that he's at, because 1&2 can be used orally for most lessons, but not 3) or, I use R&S 3 for my ds and I use most of it orally.  They can be very short lessons if you do them that way.

Good luck, it's hard to find your groove sometimes, especially with some kids.  My dd had some issues, and school was not pleasant for us at times. :grouphug:

:iagree: The Magic Schoolbus dvd's are great-my dc have learned so much from them.  Also, the DK Science Dvd's.  They have them for almost any science topic imaginable.  And Bill Nye science guy is wonderful.  My ds loves the Usborne 100 Science Experiements book, so you could use that for easy, hands on experiments, and then it has computer links that go further with the info.  

At your ds's age, mine basically read their brains out-whatever science topic interested them.  Then, we would go further with ideas and things like the dvds, field trips, experiments, etc...  But I would not worry about doing a science curriculum.

And I second MUS.  We use it, as well as TT (my ds loves the computer) and LOF.

How does your ds do with oral learning?  For LA, you could use FLL (depending on the level that he's at, because 1&2 can be used orally for most lessons, but not 3) or, I use R&S 3 for my ds and I use most of it orally.  They can be very short lessons if you do them that way.

Good luck, it's hard to find your groove sometimes, especially with some kids.  My dd had some issues, and school was not pleasant for us at times. :grouphug:

I had no idea about the DK Videos!  Thank you for sharing!

Rightsart Math is wonderful for visual/kinesthetic learning.  

:iagree:  I forgot all about Rightstart!  I wish I would have used it from the beginning.  We tried it at one point, and it was just too difficult for me to implement, especially when they had been doing things completely different.  But, even just using their games would be a good addition to any math curricululm.