Menu

Number bonds question for SM 1a

tld

SM 1a says that the students are to memorize the 1-10 number bonds.  I'm not exactly sure how to do this.  I mean, is the student supposed to be able to recite off the top of their head that the number 10 has 6 number bonds and they are blah, blah, blah, blah, etc.?  I just don't get how they're supposed to memorize them.  Would just learning the basic addition facts be the same thing?  DS is very good at that, but thus far finds the number bond idea a little more challenging.

SM 1a says that the students are to memorize the 1-10 number bonds.  I'm not exactly sure how to do this.  I mean, is the student supposed to be able to recite off the top of their head that the number 10 has 6 number bonds and they are blah, blah, blah, blah, etc.?  I just don't get how they're supposed to memorize them.  Would just learning the basic addition facts be the same thing?  DS is very good at that, but thus far finds the number bond idea a little more challenging.

I think they emphasize that they learn them as number bonds and not as addition facts because they want them to think of them in relationship. So knowing that 6 and 4 is a number bond for 10 leads you to 6 + 4 =10 but also to 10-4 =6 and 10-6 =4. They start to show those relationships early. 

The main thing is to memorize the pairs that make ten. Singapore is all about making tens. Memorizing doubles and recognizing near doubles really helps too. Do you have Cuisenaires rods? If so, visit educationunboxed.com for ideas of how to use them to help understand number bonds. Also, play the card games in the Singapore HIG to practice number bonds. One game we played a lot went like this...I laid a whole number card out and then four possible part cards underneath it. DD chose the two cards that correctly completed the number bond. I used cards from the game Sleeping Queens, which had numbers through ten on them along with pictures of that number instead of standard playing cards (there's no zero, so I used the wand card for zero).

Maybe search the freebies/cheapies on teacherspayteachers.com for other games to play too.

Play the card game 'go to the dump' ala Right Start card games...if you don't have the RS card games set, no worries...you can use just about any regular card set, or iEven better, a kids Go Fish set. Instead of making pairs of cards, you make 'tens'. So if you have a seven, you need to ask for a three to make the 'ten'. If you have a two, you will need to pair it with an eight to make a 'ten'. This game was perfect for Singapore number bonds. We did RS A most of the way through, moved to RS B, and transitioned seemlessly to Singapore. I made sure to stress commutative property of addition in the game, which aligns nicely with number bonds...

There are versions of this game all over the Internet, but RS has a YouTube video that makes it extremely simple on its own channel:

Emphasizing the relationship between the three numbers is very helpful. If the child understands the relationship between the three (say, 10, 6 and 4), then there's less rote memorization of addition and subtraction facts.

We moved too quickly through the number bonds - my son "got" it but didn't spend as much time as we should have internalizing the bonds. I regretted it as we moved through the book. I'm not making the same mistake with my daughter :)