Menu

Please list your *best* toddler manipulatives

These are for toddlers so they can't be "chokers". 

I'll start.

Fuzzy pompoms

large pirate coins I found at the party store

sorting cups (sans bears--she eats them)

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=045993  These animal counters aren't small enough to be a choking hazard although she CAN chew their legs off.  I found a pile of camel feet a few days ago.

That's all I can think of right now.  Help a gal out and lets make a nice, big, safe list!!

I found a pile of camel feet a few days ago.

That made me laugh!

Wooden blocks (I like Haba - love the colors and the paint doesn't chip), cardboard stacking boxes, pipe cleaners (fold the sharp edges over tightly) to put into a strainer, HWOT wooden pieces for making letter shapes, sets of color matching cards etc (I print on card stock and laminate), shape sorter, lauri toys, infantino puzzles (we bought a big box full for $14 - it has 2 piece puzzles up to more complicated ones), large lacing beads (they are like big wooden blocks, peg board type toys to put large beads on (they have counting type toys, I can't think what these are called).  If you check Amazon for Haba toys for that age, you might find more ideas.

I have a one year old who is regularly derailing our school schedule, so I was looking into this the other day. 

One thing I loved was putting finger paints in a ziplock back, taping it shut, then taping it to a sliding glass door or putting them at their high chair and let them squish those colors together to their hearts content.

I also got a shoe box and put different objects into it that she can look at (like those tubes of toys).  That has actually kept her attention longer than most things so far. 

A classic is a milk jug and clothespins or any other smallish object that's not a choking hazard.

How old of a toddler? When my kids were around 3 I could trust them with a rice box. I got a big sort of underbed storage box and filled it with at least 20lbs of rice. I would spread out a vinyl tablecloth on the kitchen floor and then put the open box on top of the tablecloth. They would dig in it with wooden spoons and put their dinosaurs in there etc. I got years and years out of that box. I would change out the rice every now and then.

I didn't let them sit in it and they had to understand 'no splashing'. If they poured rice outside the box or threw it or whatever I put it away. They learned very quickly and I never really had a problem. They would play in that thing for hours. I would get so much schoolwork done with the older kid thanks to that box.

They used it until about 7 years old? maybe 6. It was a sad day in our house when we finally got rid of the rice box.

Agreeing with a sensory bin--love to use lentils. They are almost silky-feeling, and can be scooped and poured and thingsx can be hidden in them.Also water for washing dollies, pouring/funneling/scooping--add ice, or colored ice to mix colors, or sponges cut up, or turkey baster, or dishes to wash, or snow, or confetti....

Love unit blocks, and Tree Blocks, which are vertical units.

Yoga ball

Medium-sized Gertie balls

Large super balls

Doll house with furniture and people

Clothespins colored a bit with a marker to put on a shoebox, also colored on the edge for matching later

Paper mittens or shapes to pair up/match

Real mittens, too, frtom the Dollar Store

Rocks

Dog biscuits--trace several sizes (get the assorted sizes box:-) ) on a piece of posterrboard for a fun puzzle. Or sort ny color onto paper plates, or give one to each plastic doggie figurine...

I prefer non-plastic toys/manipulatives--lots of

Wood, pasteboard, sturdy cardboard, baskets instead of plastic bins, etc.

My toddler is 2 1/2 and she has a 4 year old sister, so she's under that influence and she's totally safe with little pieces. So the top things I can distract them with consistently are duplo blocks, little people (we have tons), barbies, and Polly pockets. They also love coloring, pattern blocks, and linking cubes. Sometimes puzzles.