Menu

Interior paint advice needed: Spray or roll 3 rooms?

Brilliant

I want to paint 3 large bedrooms.  When we've painted before, we've always rolled.  But this time I'm thinking of either renting a sprayer or buying one to attach to dh' air compressor.  I'm worried that the time savings obtained by spraying will be negated by the extra prep (having to cover EVERYTHING including the ceilings).  If you've done both, what do you recommend?

Definitely roll. I have found through hard experience that the spray paint vapor lingers longer than you want it to and gets everywhere.

I think I'm going to go with that.  I did some more reading last night, and it looks like more trouble than it's worth.  Apparently overspray even goes into other rooms, despite closed doors!

We have so many windows & closets in those rooms, that there really isn't that much wall space to paint.  (I'm going to keep telling myself that).

I also think that rolling gives better coverage. You get a thicker coat and it lasts longer---- no proof, just my opinion.

The lady at the Benjamin Moore store told me that rolling kind of presses the paint in, whereas, sprayed paint just kind of sits on the surface. So it isn't as durable.

OP, if you buy quality paint, you can usually do just one coat (depending on the color, of course). I have been using Benjamin Moore paint, mid-level colors (so, not light), and one coat is totally covering. I was nervous because they say new construction walls can require more paint, due to the drywall absorbing so much. The BM paint is kinda pricey, but if I did two coats of a cheaper paint, it would be about the same, just more work.