Menu

Refurbished Mac's?

Dianne-TX

We have purchased refurbished stuff from the Apple store and it always arrives looking and working exactly like a brand new machine -- and it comes with a full warranty.

One thing, though -- if you buy a new machine through the Apple Education Store, they are currently offering their back to school promotion where you get a $100.00 gift card free with your purchase, so you can buy apps and stuff. Even with the education store discount and the gift card, it might still be cheaper to go with refurbished, but it's worth pricing the computer you want both ways to see which is the best value.

We rarely buy new, and we are a serious Apple family.  Refurbished is the way to go.  Everything arrives looking new, new packaging, etc.  Same excellent warranty.

We've got refurbed laptops, ipads, ipods, etc.  No problems.   

The stock changes pretty quickly so if they don't have exactly what you want, just keep checking back till they have the one you want.  :)

We rarely buy new, and we are a serious Apple family.  Refurbished is the way to go.  Everything arrives looking new, new packaging, etc.  Same excellent warranty.

We've got refurbed laptops, ipads, ipods, etc.  No problems.   

The stock changes pretty quickly so if they don't have exactly what you want, just keep checking back till they have the one you want.  :)

Us, too.  I'm Apple-only also, (laptops, desktops, phone) and the only new computers I've bought in the last 15 years have been two brand new Minis.  Otherwise I bought either refurbished, or even just plain used!
obviously refurbished through the Apple store is best because it'll come to your with Apple Care of some sort, a warranty, etc.

We have purchased refurbished stuff from the Apple store and it always arrives looking and working exactly like a brand new machine -- and it comes with a full warranty.

Even with the education store discount and the gift card, it might still be cheaper to go with refurbished, but it's worth pricing the computer you want both ways to see which is the best value.

We've bought refurbished and have been happy with the results.

BUT

Depending on which Mac you are interested in buying, you might find that new with the educators discount is actually a better deal than refurbished. I just replaced my old Mac last weekend and I was able to get the 2.9GHz Macbook Pro for the same price as the refurbished 2.5GHz AND I got the $100 app card.

Call you local Apple store (or look online) and compare the new Macs in the educators section with the refurbished and add in the gift card. You might be pleasantly surprised.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I'm not disagreeing with Cat at all.  I wanted to emphasis that you really do need to compare prices. My NEW mac with discount was cheaper than refurbished, had a bigger hard drive, faster processor, and I got a gift card.

We've bought refurbished and have been happy with the results.

BUT

Depending on which Mac you are interested in buying, you might find that new with the educators discount is actually a better deal than refurbished. I just replaced my old Mac last weekend and I was able to get the 2.9GHz Macbook Pro for the same price as the refurbished 2.5GHz AND I got the $100 app card.

Call you local Apple store (or look online) and compare the new Macs in the educators section with the refurbished and add in the gift card. You might be pleasantly surprised.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I'm not disagreeing with Cat at all. I wanted to emphasis that you really do need to compare prices. My NEW mac with discount was cheaper than refurbished, had a bigger hard drive, faster processor, and I got a gift card.

This post just reminded me to tell Dianne to be sure to compare the features in the new machines vs the refurbs, because sometimes it sounds like you're getting the same computer because both have the same name, but when you check the listing of individual components, you may be getting different processors, different screens, or something that came out in 2011 vs something new from 2013.

Again, refurbs can be a good value, but you also have to be a careful shopper to make sure you get what you want.

But if you're buying new, do it soon so you'll get the gift card! :)

ETA: Just wanted to add that I'm not disagreeing with Cat at all.  I wanted to emphasis that you really do need to compare prices. My NEW mac with discount was cheaper than refurbished, had a bigger hard drive, faster processor, and I got a gift card.

:iagree: I ended up getting a new mac, with the discount it was cheaper.

We've been Mac people forever and have only bought brand new once. Currently we have four Macbooks and a tower (in addition to iPhones).  We've had great luck over the years with refurbs.  The only time I ever had a problem was with a G4 tower I bought off eBay several years ago.  After about it year it started having a weird powering on/off issue.  But other than that, they've been awesome.