Menu

How does this look for organizing books/supplies? (better than workboxes?)

I came across this product, and think it could possibly be exactly what I need (if you ignore the $73 price). It seems like it could basically serve as a more compact, practical solution to "workboxes" (shoe racks with plastic shoeboxes that curl up workbooks). We have a Desk Apprentice, but it is too big to fit on our table so we don't end up putting anything back. These drawers are easy to see what's inside - and there's even a spot to stick a label! I have to measure, but it might fit on my bookshelf. Would you use this?

51X%2B0UijsYL._SX385_.jpg

We have something similar, except ours is on rolling wheels and stands next to our homeschool table. The bins are multicolored. I bought it at Office Depot two years ago. I thought it would be perfect for us, but I have to say we have not utilized it as I thought we would. I have found all my older ds' stuff is not practical for it, because his books would be like one or two per bin and for papers we keep them all together in binders. So, for him it is easiest to keep a crate from Target next to the table on the floor and everything used daily stands in there for easy access. My dd has some workbooks and extra little resources in the bins, but not anything that we access on a daily basis. So, anyway after that long winded explanation I think it depends on how you school. If you have a lot of loose papers and small workbooks than it would be helpful.

We have something similar, except ours is on rolling wheels and stands next to our homeschool table. The bins are multicolored. I bought it at Office Depot two years ago. I thought it would be perfect for us, but I have to say we have not utilized it as I thought we would. I have found all my older ds' stuff is not practical for it, because his books would be like one or two per bin and for papers we keep them all together in binders. So, for him it is easiest to keep a crate from Target next to the table on the floor and everything used daily stands in there for easy access. My dd has some workbooks and extra little resources in the bins, but not anything that we access on a daily basis. So, anyway after that long winded explanation I think it depends on how you school. If you have a lot of loose papers and small workbooks than it would be helpful.

I just sold our drawer towers. They just weren't working out. My older kids will have dishpans under their chairs with their books in them.

I use the Sterilite drawers that Gardening Momma posted and really like them. I like that they are deep enough for a book, wide enough for a workbook, and are closed on top. I put a week's worth of work in them, using one drawer per subject, and my kids work until they've finished all the drawers. The drawers you posted would work, but I also think they look too shallow for books.

It depends on how much you're planning on putting in them; for worksheets or workbooks this would probably be find, but for much more I don't think they would hold up.  The drawers look too shallow and not sturdy enough to hold everything you would need for each subject.  We use a magazine file for each subject.  Each one holds whatever texts are needed for each subject as well as a red folder for work-in-progress.  The one for math holds a calculator and some geometry tools as well.  They fit perfectly beside DS's binders on a bookshelf. 

Me? No. I wouldn't spend that much on something that only might work. This year, my younger son is getting all his work in one notebook. I'm tearing out the pages and hole punching everything.

This is what I'm doing.  I don't have any empty spots for even a desk apprentice.  I do keep his larger textbook type stuff (k12HO) in a rolling wood box.  Everything must fit in their or we don't use it.

Have done the same as Moxie and Foxbridge. It's her "Weekly Workbook" divided by days of the week (2 math worksheets/day, any independent history/geography work, and any other daily worksheet that pops up), Spelling List section to copy at least 1x/day, and a Copywork section to write one verse a day, any handwriting practice I might give her. Behind the spelling list, I also put all the Phonics Road/LA paperwork she needs that week.

A good chunk of her weekly work is in that notebook (except the RS stuff), and then I create a similar one to mine (which really just holds my PR teaching materials for the week, or 2 weeks, and will likely get some CC material in it as we start up again). It has simplified things so nicely, she can do a little work in the car here and there, and gives me something to send her to for independent work if I'm busy with the baby or 4yo.

Hm, doesn't look very sturdy for what we have in our workboxes (big math workbooks, Apologia science textbooks, history text books, my son's Japanese has a text and workbook etc..) but would be fine for just readers, or drawers that only have a folder & notebook/handouts.  We use Sterilite drawers and most are filled to the top. Here's what we use

Hope you find something that will work well for you!

Merry :-)

I've never work boxed (still a newbie), but my thought is to actually measure the size/shape and depth of the books and papers that you'll need on a daily and weekly basis, and then compare with the sizes of the different organizing systems available. Measure the spaces where you would put it too, to make sure it fits before you buy it. Trying to make something fit into a place that's too big or small or out of the way, or even where it doesn't get used, would be a recipe for frustration for me!

I also agree that the price seems too high. Also for me, the size of the plastic trays wont work. Depends on what kind of stuff one is going to put in there. Deciding what you need to use the trays for and then measuring out the required sizes should be a good idea. I hope you find something that works well for you. Keep us posted on what you finally decide.