Menu

Projected 12th grade....opinions and suggestions wanted

Basically dd will be doing her junior year this year, but will have enough credits to graduate. Next year will be her senior year. Here is what I am thinking.

Trigonometry .5

SOS solely to add to transcript and to hopefully bump standardized scores. Maybe even start in summer to complete before SAT & ACT.

Internship 3

Starting to look for one

Literature 1

History 1

Apologetics or elective 1

All 3 of these will be her choice, but enough for full credits.

College prep .5

Or similar course

Debate club, babysitting, church volunteer, etc.

Not enough information to form an opinion.

What is she planning to do after high school? I assume college? What kind of college?

Does she have all the requirements for admission (which is not the same as enough credits to graduate!)?

What is the internship?

You want to avoid the senior year looking light compared to the other years. Right now it does a little bit: no science, no foreign language, only half a math (which four math credits does she have now, by end of Jr year?)

I would not give credit for college/test prep; that looks like padding the transcript. Everybody preps, but most students don't get credit for it.

This still does not answer the question of whether she meets the *admissions requirements*. Does she?

Prealgebra is not considered a high school credit, and economics and finance are not math credits (they may be required, but they are not math.). So she has only three math credits (if she does geometry) plus the half of trig. Many colleges want four math credits.

Ditto for science: many want four.

Now, it may be that the college she is interested in does not have these requirements, that's why I am asking.

I don't know.

She is still narrowing down college choices. Her interest is nursing and we have just started looking at colleges. Up until this past summer we never considered her graduating early other than maybe doing CP. Now that that is out and she is really wanting to focus on her future. I am just researching and pursuing options.

I don't know.

She is still narrowing down college choices. Her interest is nursing and we have just started looking at colleges. Up until this past summer we never considered her graduating early other than maybe doing CP. Now that that is out and she is really wanting to focus on her future. I am just researching and pursuing options.

I recommend checking the admissions requirements of the most selective schools out of those she is considering. (The number of credits is not really relevant). Checking now gives you enough time to get in whatever credits the schools want to see - being ahead of the game is a good thing, because it gives you two years to fill any gaps. Good luck!

If she's thinking nursing, she's going to want all the math she can get.  I'm looking at your other thread, and your numbers seem off.  From what you list here: 

Completed

Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, almost finished with 2, economics (.5), finance (.5)
Needs: geometry
A total of 5 credits, 4 if you throw out Pre-A.

Physical/life science, biology, anatomy (.5)
needs: Chemistry
A total of 3 1/2 credits

She'll also have 4 English, 6 History/ government, 2 1/2 Foreign Lang., 7 speech/debate/arts, and 4 elective type courses 

I'm seeing she has completed *1* unit of math.  No geometry, no algebra 2, no precalc.  Life science isn't high school level.  She has 1 unit biology.  The question on the anatomy is going to be whether that was a separate text and whether she spent the time.  Physical science is ok, but the fact that it was paired with a non-high school level life science makes you wonder (as an evaluator) if the physical science was high school level.  Physical science typically requires math for high school level, and she wasn't in algebra 1, meaning she probably didn't do the math.  Just saying the thought process they could go through.  

4 english?  You're assigning 1 unit per semester?  You're saying she did 2 hours a day of lit and 3 hours a day of history but no math and no science??  Oh, those were projected?  Just confused there.  She doesn't need so many units in fine arts.  Some of that might be better put as extra-currics.

Nurses take organic chemistry and need to be sharp on their math.  I wouldn't even consider graduating her without getting through pre-calc.  I DO laud your idea of her pursuing things she's engaged with.  How about a load of 4 fully academic courses in the morning (double math, science, and a foreign language) or what have you and then in the afternoon devote herself to her project?  That would be fabulous.  

You know another option would be to connect her with a vocational program that has nurse's aide certification, LPN, what have you. That way she could get some experience and hands-on but still continue her academics.  

I think it boils down to whether or not she is looking into a 4 yr BSN vs. CNA, LPN or RN.   The educational requirements are going to be very different depending on what it is she is thinking about doing.   There is no way I can see her graduating early at the end of this yr if she wants to pursue BSN and really, she needs to step it up significantly in load over the next 2 yrs.

Have you investigated the criteria for admissions?   I think you should look at the criteria, map out exactly what she has taken that meets high school level credit (pre-alg is not high school credit) and then work forward from there as to what she needs to take.

OhElizabeth, thank you for your suggestions!

She is going to finish Algebra II in a month or so. So finance and economics are considered electives? I assumed since they are dealing with numbers then they would fall under maths. I guess we do need to re-evaluate there! So with Algebra I and II and geometry that will only be three credits. If she does the 1/2 credit of trig. that might put her 3 1/2, but I don't know if the trig. is Pre-calc.

She did 1/2 of Apologia Physical Science then we decided to go ahead and jump her into Biology. She didn't finish the book, but did over 1/2 and then all of Biology. The life science is more of a half of a health credit, I suppose we could put that on her transcript.

In English that is one for each year of high school, 4 by the end of next year. History/government, one history credit per year and 1/2 government credit per year. So the total will be 6.

I don't mind moving the arts credits to extracurriculars. I just hate to not give credit to what amounts to lots and lots of sudy. All of that is irrelevant if it appears we are padding the transcript.

That is why I am asking, btw. I know the hive will give honest feedback.

Instead of graduating early, I would do the math and science as suggested above, and consider dual enrollment for some of her courses in 12th grade. She'll need a strong high school foundation for nursing.

The original plan was for this to be her junior year. Would dual enrollment next year jeopardize her Freshman status and keep her from scholarship possibilities?

So is she taking chemistry this year?

The state university here says on the website: "• Prospective majors in nursing must have completed at least one year of both biology and chemistry, and are strongly urged to take two years of chemistry."

I wanted her to take Chem. this year and advanced Chem. next year. When we started looking at colleges, transcripts, etc. she thought she might be able to complete Chem. this year and then go on to volunteer at the hospital next year plus pursue a business opportunity that is unrelated that she has wanted to try, as her gap year.

I think it boils down to whether or not she is looking into a 4 yr BSN vs. CNA, LPN or RN. The educational requirements are going to be very different depending on what it is she is thinking about doing. There is no way I can see her graduating early at the end of this yr if she wants to pursue BSN and really, she needs to step it up significantly in load over the next 2 yrs.

Have you investigated the criteria for admissions? I think you should look at the criteria, map out exactly what she has taken that meets high school level credit (pre-alg is not high school credit) and then work forward from there as to what she needs to take.

The plan was 2 year, but we have since found out that 4 year would be a better choice. We have not investigated anything, yet, as we thought we had more time. These threads are the beginning of our investigating. Avoiding reinventing the wheel and all that. :)

Health does not count as a biology credit.  

Personally, I would change strategies.   I would drop the remaining 2 gov't 0.5 credits for the next 2 yrs and focus on math and science.   I would even consider dropping the history next yr as well.   She is not very strong in math and science for a nursing major.   Those are going to be the courses that drive her degree.

The plan was 2 year, but we have since found out that 4 year would be a better choice. We have not investigated anything, yet, as we thought we had more time. These threads are the beginning of our investigating. Avoiding reinventing the wheel and all that. :)

Then I would really recommend beefing up her math and science.   A 4 yr nursing degree is going to require strength in both.

Would you all please suggest what good choices for the next two years would look like. (Obviously, we need to look at the school of choice's requirements.)

This year we had planned

Chemistry 1

Geometry 1

Shakespeare .5

British literature .5

Speech 1

Apologetics .5

Extemporaneous .5

Debate 1

Government .5

Constitutional Law 1

Senior year would look like?

Advanced Chem

Trig/Pre-Calc.

And ????

ETA: missed subject

Health does not count as a biology credit.

Personally, I would change strategies. I would drop the remaining 2 gov't 0.5 credits for the next 2 yrs and focus on math and science. I would even consider dropping the history next yr as well. She is not very strong in math and science for a nursing major. Those are going to be the courses that drive her degree.

She did an entire Biology book with labs. The health/life science was separate.

She did an entire Biology book with labs. The health/life science was separate.

I was referring to the post where you stated that health was counting as life science credit (which normally is a middle school intro to biology.)   Health does not count in that category and is normally categorized with PE as a wellness credit, not a science credit.    I know you probably think we are nit-picking, but we are only trying to be helpful.   What universities see as credits for admission are actually pretty well defined.     It is why econ and finance are not math.   Health is not science.  etc.  

I was referring to the post where you stated that health was counting as life science credit (which normally is a middle school intro to biology.) Health does not count in that category and is normally categorized with PE as a wellness credit, not a science credit. I know you probably think we are nit-picking, but we are only trying to be helpful. What universities see as credit for admission are actually pretty well defined. It is why econ and finance are not math. Health is not science. etc.

No, not nit picky at all! I asked because I wanted real opinions! I am glad I asked. Better to change plans/transcripts now then have a blow later when it is too late.

Generally dual enrollment does not change the freshman status. Some colleges have a limit on the number of credits you can have before being considered a transfer student. One college we found had a low limit of 27 credits, but most have no limit at all. DE would allow her to get in more math and science in less time since the courses are only a semester long. Generally, the more education she gets, the higher her pay scale as a nurse. Aim high for now, and she will have many options.

Thank you to everyone who read and commented on this thread. Dd is chomping at the bit to get on with her interests and for that I applaud her. She is really owning her future. After reading the advice on this board I am going to really discourage her from trying to graduate this year. She will have a much better platform from which to launch if she has a few more books under her belt.

Thank you to everyone who read and commented on this thread. Dd is chomping at the bit to get on with her interests and for that I applaud her. She is really owning her future. After reading the advice on this board I am going to really discourage her from trying to graduate this year. She will have a much better platform from which to launch if she has a few more books under her belt.

I think if she wants to take ownership, she should own where she is now. She is in high school with 2 math credits almost finished. They are the two lowest math credits acceptable by universities and will not make her a strong candidate. Doing 2 more years, or 2 full credits worth of math is still critical for her.

Her science is in a similar place. I wouldn't count 1/2 of Apologia Physical as anything for high school. It is an 8th grade level Physical Science course although they say it can be done in 8th or 9th. It doesn't use the math that is necessary to count as a high school level Physical Science. That means she has 1 credit of Biology, and at the end of this year will have 1 credit of Chemistry. Again, a university is going to want to see a minimum of 3 and preferably 4 credits of science for a student going into a science related field.

It sounds like her English is doing fine and so is her history. Her economics counts as more social studies by the way, not just an elective. Most kids do a semester of Government and one of Economics for their last credit of Social Science. Right now she sounds like a candidate for a humanities major, not nursing. You've got to change that. 

For this year, Speech is normally .5 credit. Unless she just loves debate, drop it. Drop Government too, she has enough. Now you have an extra credit to play with. How about Physics? Advanced Biology? Anatomy and Physiology?

Her senior year, you said the English and Social Studies credits you were counting included senior year. Go ahead and get 4 of each. Then Pre-Calc and Advanced Chem or if she doesn't take it this year, Physics. She really doesn't want her first exposure to Physics to be in a college classroom. A good elective choice would be Psychology. That is 5 credits. I would add one more science, one of the ones I listed as an option for a second science this year. She can do the Advanced Chem, A&P or Advanced Bio at the CC to give her a start there. Make sure she has had one level of the same science at home in high school first (just to be kind). 

This probably already got said, but you don't need to drop ALL the fine arts credits.  She just has a disproportionate amount.  Typically students would have 1-2 max, unless they're trying to become artists or something.  

On the gov't, is that some religious/family program you're doing?  You do understand that a unit reflects time spent?  That's an astronomical amount of time to spend on gov't.  Usually it's either 1 credit or 1/2 balanced by econ.  If this is some kind of personal pursuit (volunteering, club, whatever), then I would call it extra-curric.  

Yes, that would be wise to spend the extra year.  Yes, I would call that life science *health* since that's a pretty normal thing to have on a transcript.

It's AWESOME that she wants to do a personal project, but she needs to do it AND her school work.  She's NOT ready to go out.  My dh repeatedly points out that 90% of all small businesses fail.  That means odds are no matter how awesome she is the business is likely to fail.  90% of all small businesses fail.  It's not setting her up for success to go in without adequate preparation and a back-up plan if things shift.  She could get into it and realize she needs more skills.  She doesn't have those skills if she stops doing her book work.  She needs to do BOTH.  Kids do it all the time.  Help her formulate a plan.  :)