Menu

If small claim court rules in your favor...

Mynyel

Not sure how it's done elsewhere, but in Nebraska when we got a small claims judgement for about $1000 a few years ago, we had to haul the guy BACK to court to get him to pay.  The judge watched him write us a check. 

We then turned the check over to the sheriff's dept, as a two-party check.  Not sure if that's S.O.P everywhere, but our sheriff's dept was really hoping this guy would cancel the check, let it bounce, something...

He wasn't very popular.  ;)

You have to pursue it.   I know when I once one a judgment against a lady who I was babysitting for, and she never paid me (after about two months and she was getting state funds to help pay for it...which is why I waited so long because she kept saying she was waiting for the funds to come through...this was years ago, I was 19).....I had to go through the court system to have her wages garnished.    I know another friend who won in small claims court...and she had to go to further lengths to actually get the $$$ (not sure what she had to do).

When we were landlords, once we had a judgement from small claims court our next stop was our local collection agency. So say we had a judgement of $1000. We took it to them, and they tacked on their fee and collected both the amount of the judgement AND the fee from the person.  It worked beautifully most of the time, but it takes time...often we were like tenth in line and had to wait until the other ten had garnished wages and our turn came up. Then they garnished wages and we got a check.