Menu

transcript/course descriptions - logistics question

Laura in CA

I have a question about submitting the transcript and course descriptions for online applications, including the Common App ... We can't see the actual links yet, for uploading them, so please excuse me if this is obvious ...

Anyway, do you combine the transcript + course descriptions (ours will be about 12-15 pp.) into ONE document? -- a PDF that consists of the transcript on the first page, followed by many pages of course descriptions?

Or are they uploaded separately?

Also ... how does the counselor's letter fit into all this? It isn't folded into this one (?) document, is it? Is it more of a letter of recommendation like the ones from teachers, and is separate from the transcript/course descriptions?

THANK YOU for any and all advice!!

& excuse me if this is/will be obvious once I can see the links. I'm guessing, though, that most brick-and-mortar schools don't upload a list of course descriptions for each student, so some of this might not be obvious ...

A transcript is a one-page document, separate from course descriptions.

I never had to do course descriptions, so I might be totally off on this, but it seems as if 15 pages of course descriptions is awfully long. Maybe not. I'm just imagining someone in a college reading 15 pages submitted by every student...

I'm not responding to the OP's questions, but to the comment that 15 pages of course descriptions might be too long. Some colleges accept students without course descriptions, but many of the more "elite" ones want extensive documentation of what homeschooled kids have been up to academically.

Since my oldest graduated from high school seven years ago, I've been listening to "buzz" about homeschool college admissions for nearly ten years now, and I think that ten pages of course descriptions is pretty typical among those who submit course descriptions.

I hope someone answers the OP's question -- I have the same one myself!

I have a question about submitting the transcript and course descriptions for online applications, including the Common App ... We can't see the actual links yet, for uploading them, so please excuse me if this is obvious ...

Laura,

Like you, I'm still waiting for the CA forms to go "live" so I can see what we'll actually be dealing with. However, I can tell you what I did with my oldest's CA forms several years ago.

I made a one-page transcript, followed by 8 pages of Course Descriptions. I uploaded all of this as one "unit" when they asked for a transcript. At that time, the CA had no trouble accepting a larger-than-normal transcript.

The CA also used to have a Homeschool Supplement, so I filled that out on page 1 and referred the reviewer to the transcript on page 2. That form has now gone away, but I can see from this "preview" of the CA school forms, that they still want the info that was on the HS Supplement, but it looks like we will have to write up some kind of narrative & upload it -- not sure about that, though, since the preview they posted a couple of days ago doesn't really indicate how the info should be submitted. Here is a link to the preview page. Here you can see a sample school report and a sample teacher evaluation.

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=33014&task=knowledge&questionID=794

In the past, the counselor letter was a separate document that you uploaded. The form that went with it was like the teacher evaluation in that it had you rate your student. I'm assuming that this will be somewhat the same, but looking at the preview, I'm wondering if we're supposed to combine the counselor info with the HS supplement info. I guess we'll find out soon when the forms go live.

So -- Laura -- I don't know whether I really answered any of your questions, but I'm in the same boat just waiting. I've got my son working on the CA essay, and let me say that it is just hard for boys to write about themselves...

Brenda

I'm not responding to the OP's questions, but to the comment that 15 pages of course descriptions might be too long. Some colleges accept students without course descriptions, but many of the more "elite" ones want extensive documentation of what homeschooled kids have been up to academically.

Since my oldest graduated from high school seven years ago, I've been listening to "buzz" about homeschool college admissions for nearly ten years now, and I think that ten pages of course descriptions is pretty typical among those who submit course descriptions.

And that would be the short description format, right? 10 pages for 24-30 courses is not even the one-page-per-course extensive format. I do not think anybody will read the entire package carefully, but I expect them to thumb through, look maybe at one or two descriptions for an unusual course, and give it a nod.

The common app has now posted a sample school report under Training resources for recommenders:

https://appsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=33013&task=knowledge&questionID=780

On this form it says:

Homeschool supervisors should attach and explain (this replaces the former home school supplement)

Name of homeschooler’s association, if applicable: ___________________________________________

• Any information about the applicant’s home school experience and environment that you believe would be

helpful to the reader (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for home schooling, instruction setting, etc.).

• Grading scale or other methods of evaluation.

• Any distance learning, traditional secondary school, or higher education coursework not included on the

transcript. List the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and

frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.).

• Standardized testing beyond what is collected in the Common Application.

I would think that this would include the school profile and the course descriptions. I plan to combine those two in one document and leave the one page transcript separate.

Thanks, Gwen.  (This is why I labeled my thread "logistics question.")  I've modeled my course descriptions after ones posted here on this board, including Margaret in CO's lovely, concise ones. It was like pulling teeth (my own!) to get them done, but now that they're almost done I find it a nice record of the varied experiences my son has had during high school.

And that would be the short description format, right? 10 pages for 24-30 courses is not even the one-page-per-course extensive format. I do not think anybody will read the entire package carefully, but I expect them to thumb through, look maybe at one or two descriptions for an unusual course, and give it a nod.

And yes, during a recent visit to an "elite" college (acceptance rate something like 12%), I handed the admissions officer a copy of my son's 1-page transcript and 12-page course descriptions and she indeed thumbed through them and said she was impressed, and that it was a helpful document.

Thanks, Brenda! After I posted last night, I did stumble upon the Help section at the Common App website, and am working my way through that. But it helps that you & Regentrude pointed me to specific pages. And like you say, some of it is still very confusing until the forms go live.

Laura,

Like you, I'm still waiting for the CA forms to go "live" so I can see what we'll actually be dealing with. However, I can tell you what I did with my oldest's CA forms several years ago.

I made a one-page transcript, followed by 8 pages of Course Descriptions. I uploaded all of this as one "unit" when they asked for a transcript. At that time, the CA had no trouble accepting a larger-than-normal transcript.

I think I saw somewhere that the "transcript" file can be up to 500 KB -- so far my course descriptions, in Word, are something like 340 KB, and the Excel transcript is 100 KB, so making a PDF of the two combined should work ...

The CA also used to have a Homeschool Supplement, so I filled that out on page 1 and referred the reviewer to the transcript on page 2. That form has now gone away, but I can see from this "preview" of the CA school forms, that they still want the info that was on the HS Supplement, but it looks like we will have to write up some kind of narrative & upload it -- not sure about that, though, since the preview they posted a couple of days ago doesn't really indicate how the info should be submitted. Here is a link to the preview page. Here you can see a sample school report and a sample teacher evaluation.

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=33014&task=knowledge&questionID=794

In the past, the counselor letter was a separate document that you uploaded. The form that went with it was like the teacher evaluation in that it had you rate your student. I'm assuming that this will be somewhat the same, but looking at the preview, I'm wondering if we're supposed to combine the counselor info with the HS supplement info. I guess we'll find out soon when the forms go live.

Thanks ... the sample school report says "home school supervisors should attach and explain ..." -- by attach I suppose they mean combine into ONE PDF??  oh, I see you can also "attach" the counselor's letter ... I suppose we combine them all?

(I will NOT whine about the days of paper submission of documents ... where "attach" had an obvious meaning ... :) )

Also, on the first page of the Sample School Report -- they ask for demographic information as part of the school profile -- are homeschoolers filling this out?  especially ethnicity, socioeconomic, etc.? Seems silly for one or two students, but I'm not sure I want to just skip it.

Also, my kids are biracial -- This might not apply to too many other people on these boards, but I'm wondering -- should I just leave the ethnicity stuff blank? or do I put 100% Ethnicity A and 100% Ethnicity B? (i.e., 100% of the kids are part ethnicity A, 100% are part B ) ... Or, 75% A and 25% B?? That might look even weirder ... (for just one kid)

:banghead:

:confused1:   :bigear:   :willy_nilly:

So -- Laura -- I don't know whether I really answered any of your questions, but I'm in the same boat just waiting. I've got my son working on the CA essay, and let me say that it is just hard for boys to write about themselves...

Brenda

Haha, Brenda - did you read "Crazy U"? The dad says something about how teenage boys don't have innermost thoughts, and if they did, you certainly wouldn't want to hear them! :D

I would think that this would include the school profile and the course descriptions. I plan to combine those two in one document and leave the one page transcript separate.

Thanks, Regentrude ... That's an interesting option, keeping the one-page transcript separate. So you will "attach" the school profile and course descriptions to the "School Report"?

Now I'm really confused, because I see that the "School Report" (from the sample that Brenda & Regentrude linked to) includes a section on the first page called "school profile". But in our guidance counselor account at Common App, under our "Counselor Profile," there is ALSO a "School Profile" heading that asks all sorts of demographic information -- AND you can upload your "School Profile document" there at a link that appears to be live already (eeek! I'm not ready!). So ... there are three different places to do the profile????

Again, do people fill out the demographic information for their school of 1 or 2 kids??

And I guess we upload our "school profile" (a generic document like people have talked about in recent  threads on this board -- ??) under our Counselor Profile AND attach it (a different one? or the same one?) to the School Report? (which is personalized for each kid, so I guess we upload one for each college applied to?)

thanks, everyone!!!

Thanks ... the sample school report says "home school supervisors should attach and explain ..." -- by attach I suppose they mean combine into ONE PDF??  oh, I see you can also "attach" the counselor's letter ... I suppose we combine them all?

I have to see how the live online version looks and where the "upload" buttons are.

Also, on the first page of the Sample School Report -- they ask for demographic information as part of the school profile -- are homeschoolers filling this out?  especially ethnicity, socioeconomic, etc.? Seems silly for one or two students, but I'm not sure I want to just skip it.

I will fill it out. It is stupid, but they ask for it, so they'll get it.

Also, my kids are biracial -- This might not apply to too many other people on these boards, but I'm wondering -- should I just leave the ethnicity stuff blank? or do I put 100% Ethnicity A and 100% Ethnicity B? (i.e., 100% of the kids are part ethnicity A, 100% are part B ) ... Or, 75% A and 25% B?? That might look even weirder ... (for just one kid)

I would put the ethnicity with which your children identify most. If they are, say, white and Asian, they should pick one and go with it. Depending on the combination, one choice may give more of a diversity advantage than another.

It is quite common that mixed racial people with, for example, part African-American heritage consider themselves as black, and would choose that, even if  they have white ancestors as well. Let the kid pick.

Can I just wait until you all figure out all the quirks and kinks and then actually start the CA?   We actually started the first day, but I tucked my tail and ran away.   I just don't have the patience right now to deal with it.  :(   Ds is pretty much finished with his essay and figuring out everything that he needs to do.   I think the guidance counselor is definitely the one with the flunking grade.

I hope someone answers the OP's question -- I have the same one myself!

Yep!

10 was about what I submitted for dd. Now, I will admit that I had no expectation that every institution would peruse them. Some would care, some would not. I just didn't want to leave them off and have her chances of admission hurt IF the school wanted the more extensive documentation. It's easy to just send it, and let them decide if they want to read it or not.

The transcript was a different document and took up one page.

We did not need the counselor letter. Since every school dd applied to was well aware of the difference between homeschooling and brick and mortar schooling, they required a couple of character/competancy references which were easily provided by leaders in organizations in which dd participated for extracurriculars/volunteerism.

However, I am eager to hear what you are all saying because A LOT changes in six years - the age difference between dd and ds. So, I may need to come up with a counselor letter if that is the gold standard now for homeschool applications.

Anyway, do you combine the transcript + course descriptions (ours will be about 12-15 pp.) into ONE document? -- a PDF that consists of the transcript on the first page, followed by many pages of course descriptions?

Or are they uploaded separately?

When we completed the common app, there was no separate place to upload course descriptions, so we created a single pdf that included a 1-page transcript and 15 pages of course descriptions.  The challenge was to marry the portrait-oriented transcript and the landscape-oriented course descriptions in one pdf.  ;) I remember having to play around with that (before I had Adobe Pro!).

Another (stupid?) question:

do we need to wait for our student to invite us as a counselor before we can create our counselor account?

Or can we create it already and then somehow link to our student's application?

As far as I know, we have to wait for an invitation. If anyone has managed to make an account without an invite, I'd be interested to hear how it was done. It's not unreasonable that a high-school counselor who anticipates dozens or scores of students asking for recommendations and paperwork would want to get started before receiving her first invitation ...

But poking around, I found this Common App

aimed at high-school counselors. It's a few years old, and for CA3 ... but it clearly says (around 1 min in) that the student invites you, and that the email you receive contains your login information, including username & password. 

As far as I know, we have to wait for an invitation. If anyone has managed to make an account without an invite, I'd be interested to hear how it was done.

Okay.  I hyperventilated the other day about FERPA, but my husband calmed me down, and I sent the invitation.  How long does it take?  It's been 10min maybe now.  Starting to hyperventilate again.  :gnorsi:

Okay.  I hyperventilated the other day about FERPA, but my husband calmed me down,

Please tell me: what is the issue with FERPA that caused you anxiety? It had not occurred to me that FERPA is anything to worry about, but now I start worrying that I might be ignorant of an important worry-worthy issue.

Please tell me: what is the issue with FERPA that caused you anxiety? It had not occurred to me that FERPA is anything to worry about, but now I start worrying that I might be ignorant of an important worry-worthy issue.

They basically strongly encourage you to waive your right to access.  I understand why, I just hate that I have to make the conscious decision.

We do this all the time.  Here are examples from every day life:

Student wants to participate in some sport and so you sign the hold harmless waiver.

You want to get a mortgage, so you sign the million papers.

They basically strongly encourage you to waive your right to access.  I understand why, I just hate that I have to make the conscious decision.

The right to access WHAT? isn't it just the student's information that is protected by FERPA? And I still have access to my student and can ask... I must be overlooking something

The right to access WHAT? isn't it just the student's information that is protected by FERPA? And I still have access to my student and can ask... I must be overlooking something

The right to access what the teachers and counselors write about you to the college.  The theory is that if the teachers and counselors know that you can access what they have written, they will not be forthcoming.  So, you are strongly encouraged to waive your right to access so that the teachers and counselors will be protected from you.

The right to access what the teachers and counselors write about you to the college.  The theory is that if the teachers and counselors know that you can access what they have written, they will not be forthcoming.  So, you are strongly encouraged to waive your right to access so that the teachers and counselors will be protected from you.

Oh, you are talking about the student portion... now it makes sense! (I thought there was something about FERPA we, the counselors, had to worry about).

I have not given that any second thought because I am used to writing recommendations and this is common practice.

We are convinced that the teachers whom DD has asked for recommendations will write her glowing letters.

In fact, I do not think anybody ever goes to the trouble of writing a bad recommendation: it takes a lot of time and effort, and a teacher who does not feel he can really recommend the student would normally decline to write one at all.

We are convinced that the teachers whom DD has asked for recommendations will write her glowing letters.

Of course.  Teachers find our students bright, mature, and well-behaved.  They will write glowing letters.  Which is why I feel silly hyperventilating.

In fact, I do not think anybody ever goes to the trouble of writing a bad recommendation: it takes a lot of time and effort, and a teacher who does not feel he can really recommend the student would normally decline to write one at all.

Makes sense. 

OK, more logistics questions ...

I just realized we send the SAT scores directly to each college, NOT to the Common App ... So, should I send them NOW? or will they get lost in cyberspace, and I should wait till my son actually submits the Common App? (probably in a few weeks)

Same thing for his CC transcript ... it seems like it is sent straight to each college? I think I'll have to call a few colleges to confirm this, but I don't see a way to have the CC send his transcript straight to the Common App folks ...

Now I'm glad I had my son put his Social Security Number on his AP and SAT exam forms ... he has a fairly normal name, and I don't see a way to have the SAT & CC folks put his Common App ID number on his score reports ...

& I suppose in the spring I will have to send his transcript from the four-year college he's taking classes at this fall ...

Oh, speaking of APs -- we don't send official AP scores, do we? I have heard that some schools (Stanford, for example) don't want an official AP score report sent when applying ... Is this universal? Obviously my son and I will be checking each school's policy with respect to SAT/ACT scores, college transcripts, and AP scores, but if anyone has any general advice, I'd love to hear it!

This is more confusing that I thought ... even though many things are "in common" among the Common App schools my son is applying to (and he is also applying to at least four non-Common-App schools), a surprising amount of stuff is still unique to each school ...

Oh, well, I feel a little bit less confused every day ... Now to do that School Profile and counselor's letter ... :)

and yes, Sue, let's have a quilting party!!!   :auto:

This morning I deleted myself as a counselor because I hadn't received an invitation.  Then, I added myself back in and I got 3 invitations.  Does it chop off your first name after 4 letters?  Maybe it can't think past Mr., Ms., and Mrs.?  But it asks for a name....

ETA:  That is so bizarre.  I deleted myself and added a new counselor with a different name and it doesn't chop off their name.  I deleted them and added myself back and it chops off my name after 4 characters.  What the heck?  Then I deleted #2 and added #3 and it used #2s name.  I think it's possessed.  :cursing:

Oh, speaking of APs -- we don't send official AP scores, do we?

Yes, Laura, you send SAT scores and community college transcripts directly to each college.  (and, sadly, that can add up to some serious money ....)  And, don't forget, you'll likely send the transcript(s) again with the mid-year report.

And, yes, we also sent official AP scores to the colleges.  For 12th grade scores, we sent those only to the college that my daughter decided to attend.

Regards,

Kareni

This morning I deleted myself as a counselor because I hadn't received an invitation.  Then, I added myself back in and I got 3 invitations.  Does it chop off your first name after 4 letters?  Maybe it can't think past Mr., Ms., and Mrs.?  But it asks for a name....

ETA:  That is so bizarre.  I deleted myself and added a new counselor with a different name and it doesn't chop off their name.  I deleted them and added myself back and it chops off my name after 4 characters.  What the heck?  Then I deleted #2 and added #3 and it used #2s name.  I think it's possessed.  :cursing:

That's weird! 

We didn't have a problem with counselors' names, but we DID spend a lot of time having my son invite various versions of ourselves -- my husband at his work email, for example -- so I could (try to) see what recommenders see, to know what to give them (forms, info, etc.).

Just a side note: I'm jealous, Sue, that you seem to be fiddling around in your son's CA account. Our son is insisting on doing it all himself (which is why I was also confused about your question about FERPA, since my son just handled that himself ...) -- i.e., he is not thrilled about me doing stuff in his applicant account  :glare: ... I have to remind myself that when I applied to college, I'm pretty sure my parents never had a good look at my (five) applications, including my essays -- why would I show my apps to my parents?!? They weren't going to college, was!  :laugh:  So I do understand ... but as I remind my son, I wasn't homeschooled ... and now there's all this newfangled technology that makes some things waaay harder than they used to be ...   :banghead:

:chillpill:

:rant:

Yes, Laura, you send SAT scores and community college transcripts directly to each college.  (and, sadly, that can add up to some serious money ....)  And, don't forget, you'll likely send the transcript(s) again with the mid-year report.

And, yes, we also sent official AP scores to the colleges.  For 12th grade scores, we sent those only to the college that my daughter decided to attend.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks, Kareni! That makes sense ... I guess unless a college explicitly says it doesn't need official AP scores, I'll send them -- can't hurt! (except my pocketbook). I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish ... Off to add that to my checklist!! :D

Just a side note: I'm jealous, Sue, that you seem to be fiddling around in your son's CA account. Our son is insisting on doing it all himself (which is why I was also confused about your question about FERPA, since my son just handled that himself ...) -- i.e., he is not thrilled about me doing stuff in his applicant account  :glare: ... I have to remind myself that when I applied to college, I'm pretty sure my parents never had a good look at my (five) applications, including my essays -- why would I show my apps to my parents?!? They weren't going to college, was!  :laugh:  So I do understand ... but as I remind my son, I wasn't homeschooled ... and now there's all this newfangled technology that makes some things waaay harder than they used to be ...  

I am actually VERY grateful DD takes care of her side of the application. Sure, she came down with her computer and asked us a few questions what to fill into fields, but she owns it. I am glad I do not have to sift through everything, figure out what each school wants, spend dozens of hours searching online - she does it. I think I have enough on my plate with the counselor stuff.

Just a side note: I'm jealous, Sue, that you seem to be fiddling around in your son's CA account.

And I'm jealous that your your son is so motivated to do it himself.  Mine would do it 2 days before the application was due.  It's going to take me a looooonnnnnnnnnng time to get that school profile and counselor's letter ready. 

When a dear friend of mine met my mother, she complimented my mother on her 8 children and their education and success.  My mother deflected the compliment and said we did it all ourselves.  My dear friend replied that Sue had told her who filled out all the financial aid forms...

I am actually VERY grateful DD takes care of her side of the application. Sure, she came down with her computer and asked us a few questions what to fill into fields, but she owns it. I am glad I do not have to sift through everything, figure out what each school wants, spend dozens of hours searching online - she does it. I think I have enough on my plate with the counselor stuff.

Oh yes, once in a while it would be nice to have more access/control over the inviting and all, but overall I'm very pleased, too -- he knows it's his job to research which colleges want which test scores, which ones allow Score Choice, etc., etc. ... 

And I'm jealous that your your son is so motivated to do it himself.  Mine would do it 2 days before the application was due.  It's going to take me a looooonnnnnnnnnng time to get that school profile and counselor's letter ready. 

When a dear friend of mine met my mother, she complimented my mother on her 8 children and their education and success.  My mother deflected the compliment and said we did it all ourselves.  My dear friend replied that Sue had told her who filled out all the financial aid forms...

Yes, he's very motivated, and just in the last year has gotten MUCH less scatterbrained! A few years ago I seriously thought he might -- in college, if I let him go off by himself -- get run over by a car while crossing the street, or get into a bad bike accident (he's had some of those, from not paying attention, but has gotten better).

And that's funny about your mother! Wow, 8 kids! Harder, but not impossible, to be a micromanager, I guess ... I think it's good for my boys that I'm so busy with both of them -- and the counselor stuff -- that I have to delegate a lot to them, what with one going to college this weekend  -- EEEEEEEK!!!  :willy_nilly:

and the other applying early action to 3 schools (thanks, Kathy!  :seeya: ), plus 3 UCs due in November, plus National Merit  :willy_nilly:  ...   Deep breath!

And yes, I'm proud of him! and still rather surprised. A while ago I could totally see him being like Kathy's son, who, she said, missed 2 of his 3 EA deadlines ... as it is, we are still butting heads, because I think he is being rather slapdash about it, not reading the instructions carefully, etc.  :glare:  ... so I keep exhorting him to SLOW DOWN and READ the directions, THIS IS YOUR BIG CHANCE, blah blah blah ... and I threaten to go in and read what he's filled out, if I have any doubts about how carefully he's doing it ... LOL

OK, more logistics questions ...

I just realized we send the SAT scores directly to each college, NOT to the Common App ... So, should I send them NOW? or will they get lost in cyberspace, and I should wait till my son actually submits the Common App? (probably in a few weeks)

Same thing for his CC transcript ... it seems like it is sent straight to each college?

Oh, speaking of APs -- we don't send official AP scores, do we?

OK, I talked this afternoon with an admissions officer at one of the schools my son will be applying to early action, and she was VERY helpful. Upshot:

1. Yes, SAT scores can be sent now. She offered to check, asked my son's full name, and lo and behold they have his earlier scores on file (which he had sent to them), but not his latest ones.

2. Yes, they want official dual-enrollment transcripts sent, but they don't want them NOW. Wait until mid-Sept. or early October to have them sent. They have to scan them and then match them up with the applicants' files, and they'll be ready for them in October. Of course they could be sent now, but they'll just sit in a pile waiting to be scanned and waiting for the office to get organized once the kids actually apply.

As long as the CC transcript has his first and last name and birthdate, they can match it to his file.

I think we'll order the CC transcripts now but pick them up ourselves and mail them directly in late September. This should work, right?

3. Official AP scores -- yes, they'd like these. Again, she checked my son's file and they have them. I guess we'll send them to the other schools he's applying to. We might wait a bit until he's closer to submitting his applications.

Bottom line: It was very reassuring how homeschool-friendly she was, and also how organized and helpful. She even asked if I wanted advice on what kinds of LORs they'd like to see from homeschoolers.

I think we'll order the CC transcripts now but pick them up ourselves and mail them directly in late September. This should work, right?

My impression was that my daughter's transcript needed to be sent directly from the community college.

She even asked if I wanted advice on what kinds of LORs they'd like to see from homeschoolers.

If you said 'yes', I'd be interested in hearing what advice she gave.

Regards,

Kareni

My impression was that my daughter's transcript needed to be sent directly from the community college.

If you said 'yes', I'd be interested in hearing what advice she gave.

Regards,

Kareni

You know, on second thought, I think we'll do this -- have the CC send the transcripts directly. It means more paperwork (filling out a separate transcript request for each college), and less control over when they actually get mailed (but that's no biggie), but more official.

And yes, I said yes :) -- even though I had talked with her colleague about LORs during our campus visit back in May. She said she was particularly interested in hearing from the CC prof(s), who could address the student's transition to a brick-and-mortar school. She assumed I would also be writing a letter as the guidance counselor, so she'd get that perspective. I said he would also be asking his computer-science professor, whom he's worked with for 3 years but has never met in person (distance learning). She didn't think that two science/math LORs was overkill.

(FTR this is Caltech; they allow up to 5 academic LORs plus 'others,' such as coaches, music teachers, church leaders. MIT, on the other hand, limits LORs to two, a techy and a humanities teacher, and GA Tech allows you to submit only one LOR!)

OK, so then I asked about his 'humanities' LOR -- a local small-group tutor who has taught my son in a Classical Greek & Roman Lit class for the past five years. (She liked the fact that this teacher has known my son for 5+ years ... Yes, she was very chatty and informative!) Well, specifically what I asked was whether also having his Gavel Club (speech & debate) advisor write an LOR would be too much. (I'd heard some schools do NOT want to be inundated with too many LORs.) She said that if those two LORs would say basically the same thing, they would prefer not to have both, but if they addressed different aspects of my son as a person, and as a learner, then yes, they would definitely like to have both, to get a more complete picture of him.

I came away greatly encouraged that these are "real people" in the admissions office reading these files and LORs, who keep in mind that these applicants are still kids ... and that they really want to get an accurate, complete picture of each student. Very reassuring :)

I came away greatly encouraged that these are "real people" in the admissions office reading these files and LORs, who keep in mind that these applicants are still kids ... and that they really want to get an accurate, complete picture of each student. Very reassuring :)

That is reassuring indeed, Laura!  Thanks for sharing the details of that conversation.

Regards,

Kareni