Menu

Read-Aloud Books With Questions to Ask Preschooler

My three year old has a language delay, and I find that while reading to him, asking questions from time really helps him to stay engaged as well as understand the story.  I really like that in the Core Knowledge Series, at least in the preschool book, it has questions or things to point out to your child written the sidebar to help parents.  Does anyone know of other books like this? Sometimes it's just easier to not have to come up with my own questions...

I've never seen that really, but maybe you could come up with your own set of standard questions and put them on a card for yourself to keep next to the read aloud pile.  Things like,

"What do you think is happening in the picture?"

"How many ___ do you see?"

"What if you had to do that/saw that/had that?"

"Why did she/he do that?"

"What's that?"

The other thing that occurred to me was wordless books.  It's so easy when you're reading not to ask these questions because you have the text and it can become sort of passive for the parent reading and for the child, but when you have a wordless book, it's so much more inviting to discuss.  Some titles off the top of my head...

Jack and the Night Visitors

Good Dog, Carl

Pancakes for Breakfast

Changes, Changes

A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog

Chalk

Wave

Sector 7

The Red Book

At her age, stick with the basic who what where & when questions. Look into Before Five in a Row and Five in a Row - they are excellent programs that encourage a love of reading and a love of story. I've also heard good things about Heart of Dakota, but I don't know enough information about that to know if it's age appropriate for your child. 

I have an extra wiggly son who has troubles being engaged and understanding the whole story. I have found that starting out with shorter, really interesting picture books and gradually getting into longer ones has helped tremendously. Here are some of our favorites (a lot of these come in board books but they are so much better in book form):

We also love the Before Five in a Row and Five in a Row booklists. I think we have most of them and they are just wonderful. The B4FIAR booklist is here: http://fiveinarow.com/before-five-in-a-row/

Goodnight Gorilla is a really fun, almost wordless book that tickles their funny bone

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear- a lot of questions in the story, my boys loved this book so much they memorized it!

It's the Bear! (we only liked the first one and not the other sequels)

The Three Billy Goats Gruff by Galdone- We like a lot of Galdone's books but this is a favorite

I don't know if this will help any!