Menu

Mother of the Groom - finding a dress

PrincessMommy

Ugh... my son's wedding is at the end of the month and I still haven't found a dress.   Went out about a week ago with 2 daughters (my stylists - since I have no style) and we found a dress that is okay.  There were hardly any choices (in my size  :closedeyes: ).   I bought the okay dress just in case I can't find anything I really like, but it's kind of drab.  It needs a wrap or shrug that is fancier than the ones I found in the store. 

I do have a question.  Does anyone know if I have to make an appt. at David's if I'm not buying a wedding gown?  Are the appt. for anyone looking at any dress?   I was on their website and I liked a couple of them so I'd like to just pop down and check them out.   Do I have to go through the appt. business in order to look at a few dresses???

I hate shopping.

As a recent MOG, (my ds was married last weekend), you do not have to have an appointment at David's at any time.  I went wedding dress shopping with DDIL.  We walked in to the store in Orlando with no problems, someone was available to assist us within moments. 

BTW, I hate shopping as well.  I am eight months pregnant so that made finding something more difficult anyway.  I ended up with a meternity skirt from Target and a blouse from Belk's.  Good luck!

I hope you find a wonderful dress, and I'd just walk into the store and throw myself at their mercy.  Keep your mind open and let them bring dresses you might not consider and just try them on.  They see lots of bodies in their dresses and often have a better eye for what you and your body will look great in. ;)

No clue what size you are but have you checked out Catherine's.  I bought all four of my Mother of the Bride/groom dresses from them. 

http://catherines.lanebryant.com/plus-size-dresses/view-all/evening-glow-jacket-dress/4559c14589p184447/index.pro?Mcatn=View+All&Mcatpn=Dresses+%26+Skirts&Mcatg=category_root&Mcatp=cat_4559%405000&Mcat=14589%405000

Woman within has a couple that would work.  I think I actually bought a jacket from them and a skirt from Catherines for one of the boys weddings.

No Appointment needed at David's Bridal but they don't have everything in the store.  Lots of it has to be ordered.

Have you been to Macy's website or the store? I was in there yesterday looking for a formal and saw some lovely things that would work as MOG dresses without looking matronly. They were on sale too.

I was MOG 3 years ago, and after shopping for longer than I wanted to, finally found one at Macy's. However, it was the 3rd Macy's store I went to.

thanks guys.   This is an afternoon wedding... bride is doing a simple wedding... nothing super fancy.   I'm a size 16.  I have very broad shoulders so I really don't like things without sleeves.  I'm also going to be the tallest person besides my two sons in the wedding.  Like WAY taller.  So I don't want to look like  Zenia the warrior princess coming into church. 

I've been to Macy's and Lord&Taylor.   I think I bought the okay dress at Macys.