Menu

Easy Craft/Activity for 6yr old?

Paige

My kids are all crafty but I'm not. My older kids all have their things that they are pretty good at and can do independently. My DD would like something of her own, but I'm not sure what she can do. I want it to be something that requires minimal help because I am not good at that kind of thing. My DS does origami and balloon twisting, older DDs do needle felting, knitting, and sewing. Any ideas? It needs to be different than the others' crafts and something that she can feel proud of. We don't want busy work/make and toss crafts. Her birthday is this week and I'd like to get her something small to get her started. She likes to draw and color and something that works with that would be nice but I would like something more because I already have a mountain of drawings.

Could she do simple needle point (like a coaster-sized ...well, coaster, if you want to be practcal)? How about painted ceramics, like a couple of mugs or some plates? Or, can she take photos and have you help her make stationery? My dd loves to take pictures, and made my mom a lovely set of flower-themed stationery for Christmas. You can use Pinterest for paper-crafting ideas, too. In fact Pinterest is a great place for easy ideas.

If she just wants to draw, maybe a sketchbook, so drawings stay contained, and some new, high quality colored pencils or craypas with fixative?

My DS7 has taken up potholder weaving (using the little plastic loom and loops). He loves it, and we have colorful potholders now. :-) 

For a birthday present, maybe a combination of a few different craft options? If one isn't a favorite, maybe another will strike her fancy. We definitely go through "phases" in crafting passions.  :001_rolleyes:

Klutz books are great for gifts!  I have always found the instructions to be very clear and the books come with great supplies.

Around here Klutz books are sold at bookstores, some toy stores and Michaels craft stores (check for coupons!).  They might not have every title but it sounds like you need it soon.

Klutz site: http://www.klutz.com/

It looks like the "chicken socks" tab is their line for younger kids/non-readers.

eta:  Klutz has a potholder book that has instructions for other things besides potholders http://www.klutz.com/craft-book/Potholders-and-Other-Loopy-Projects?merch_location=crafts%20Listing