Menu

Tonsillectomy Recovery Questions

Mergath

Hey everyone!  Dd had her tonsils/adenoids out about a week and a half ago, and I was wondering if anyone else who had a kid undergo the same surgery could answer a few questions for me.

It's been eleven days since her surgery, and dd is mostly back to eating normal foods (minus scratchy stuff like chips) and we haven't had to give her any pain medication at all today, but she still seems, well, kind of dopey and out of it.  Is that normal?  I figured it was the pain meds making her seem out of it before, but since she hasn't had any today, I'm a bit worried.  It's not like she's staggering around the living room in a daze or anything like that, but she doesn't seem as sharp and alert as she did before the surgery.  When do kids get back to normal after something like this?  The doctor didn't mention any complications during the surgery, and we did speak to him right afterwards.  Of course, with my obsessive-compulsive disorder, my thought now is, "Ohmigod she must have stopped breathing during surgery and now she has brain damage and the doctor is going to try to cover it up and..." :P  

Also, her voice is so whiny now.  She always had sort of a deep voice for a little girl- not manly or anything, just a slight bit lower than the other kids, more like an older girl's voice- and now it's so nasally and whiny, it's driving me nuts.  Is this going to go away anytime soon?  I think her throat is still a bit sore, but she outright refuses the medication now, even if we threaten to hold her down and squirt it down her throat  :001_rolleyes:  so I'm not going to push it.  If the bad taste of the medicine outweighs the sore throat, it can't be hurting that bad, right?  It's really hard to understand her, too.  She's always been hard to understand because she has low muscle tone, but now even I can't understand what she's saying half the time.

We're scheduled to have a check-up in a week or so, and I'll definitely ask the doctor all these same questions, but I thought I'd see what the Hive thinks and hopefully put my mind at ease before then. ;)

Thanks!

I think she's fine without pain meds this far out.  Maybe there's still some swelling affecting the vocal chords?  Also, if it's just a bit sore or feels funny, she may be talking more out of her nose than usual.  It will probably take a bit for her speech to adjust to having a part of her throat missing.  Depending on what meds she was on, it could take a while for them to completely leave her system.  And her body has been using energy in healing, so maybe she's just a bit less energetic than usual?  It all sounds within normal limits to me (not a doctor), so I'd just wait until her scheduled follow-up.

About the voice:  they should warn parents about that.  It won't go back to what it was before.  Middle son had his out when he was two, and he went from having a deeper voice to being called "Squeaky".  It never went back to the deep, but he eventually stopped sounding weird to us (I don't know if we got used to his new voice or if it lowered a bit).

Sounds like she is doing just fine.

My son had the same surgery when he was 6 and it took a good month before he was back to normal.

His sound of his voice changed significantly for about 6 months (high pitched, forced) but eventually he was back to normal. 

I would def lay off the pain meds if she doesn't want them!

DD had hers out on the 19th.  Doc told me to expect a change in voice, breathing sounds, and especially nighttime breath sounds for up to 6 mths.  The pain is less for dd now that it seems like her scabs are off, but she still hurts a bit.  If you dd doesn't want to take liquid medicine, you may want to try and see if she will take tablets instead.  The pharmacy can help you calculate the correct dose. 

DD was pretty grumpy today, but I think in her case it is lack of nutrition for the past week.  Living on Popsicles, ice cream, mashed potatoes, hot dogs  and mac/cheese has to take its toll eventually.  She also breaths a bit rough at night so she isn't sleeping great.  I am keeping her on meds for a couple more days just to help keep the pain away, instead of having it peak up throughout the day and add to her grumpiness.  

I hope your dd feels better soon!  

My daughter had hers out at age 6. I can't remember how long it took her to feel better, but I do remember reading that for some people, the after-effects of anesthesia can last for months (but eventually DO go away!). I felt that my daughter's voice changed a bit when she had hers out. Even today it sounds more muffled, back in the throat. Kind of hard to describe. I guess to be clear, I'm not positive that it's connected to her surgery. It just seemed like it happened around the same time.

I definitely remember them telling me that her speech might be difficult to understand for awhile, and not to worry.

I wouldn't worry about the pain meds. My oldest quit hers within 24 hours. She hated medicine and she willingly took the antibiotics if she knew that was all she had to take. Youngest quit her pain meds about day five. They both had voice changes, but it wasn't too drastic. They weren't completely back to normal for about two weeks. They were tired and hungry before that. Once they were back to sleeping and eating normally, they were much better.

Both my older guys had theirs out on their 8th birthdays. I must have strange kids because they opted out of pain meds after 24 hrs. Day 2 they were back to normal. We joke that the first night lodest had his out along with his adnoids was the first solid night's sleep he had had in his life. That child snored even as an infant.

I had mine out when I was 21. It took me 2 months to get over it. 6 weeks were living on Demoral. But mine were HUGE and always had been so maybe that had something to do with it.

Glad your dd is back to normal.

Effects from anesthesia can take weeks to resolve. My very hyperactive son was calm and focused for 2 weeks after one of his heart surgeries. I was hopeful that maybe it would stick around! My dd was dopey and lazy for a couple of weeks after her leg surgery.

I hope she feels better soon!