Menu

S/O Recipe SO good you'd cry if you'd lost it---any healthy recipes you'd cry if you lost it?

HappyGrace

I'm devastated that due to newly diagnosed chronic illness I can't even READ the other thread because it'll make me crave stuff I can't have-I miss being able to eat what I want! I am SUCH a foodie!!!! I would love to be involved in that awesome thread!

Anyone have any WONDERFUL clean or healthy recipes they want to share? (I'm specifically putting NO special restrictions (ie-allergy free, gluten free, etc) on response posts-just things that are clean/healthy eating. They CAN have restrictions in them--gluten free or whatever--that's ok, but don't have to be)

I will think of a couple and share them later today.

Well, my chicken recipe in the other thread would fit my definition of healthy.  The ingredients are chicken, lemons, butter or olive oil, garlic and herbs, salt and pepper.  The potatoes use the same flavouring.

Something that we all enjoy a lot as well is some variation of smoked fish (haddock, mackerel, etc.) stirred into brown rice or whole grain pasta and served with a green veg.

L

Grrr... I can't cut and paste! Here is one--just google "Harvest Quinoa Salad" and it is the first one that comes up (on the Girl Makes Food blog). BUT you MUST add a large dose of pure maple syrup to the dressing-YUM!!!

Also google for Crispy Sweet Potato Chipotle Enchiladas (on the Spabettie blog). It does have frozen sweet potato puffs in them but they are surprisingly pretty healthy and you really only need about 5 of them in a large enchilada. It's smoky, sweet, and spicy-really different and yummy! I crave them. ETA: the recipe as is is VERY spicy-I only use about 2 T of the JUICE from the can of chipolte peppers (no actual peppers) and it's hot enough for me! So adjust as necessary for your tastes.

Laura-is the actual recipe on the other thread? I'm afraid to go look-lol! It sounds yummy, thanks!

Laura-is the actual recipe on the other thread? I'm afraid to go look-lol! It sounds yummy, thanks!

This is the chicken recipe, although I often substitute olive oil for the butter.  The potatoes are just roast potatoes with the same seasoning as the chicken - search for my posts if you don't want to trawl through the whole thread.

L

What's the difference between clean and healthy? Teacher, I don't understand the assignment! LOL

Not the OP but I can venture a guess. I consider my green tea healthy since I use stevia instead of sugar. But I don't think of it as clean because I use stevia. Clean foods to me are organic and whole or minimally processed, as blended for smoothies.

Great question! You made me stop and think if there is a difference between clean and healthy and I don't really think so, in my mind.

A few things I think about when I say healthy, clean eating: minimally processed ingredients-basically real food with a short ingredient list, whole grains and veggies/fruits, meats as close to naturally raised as possible, not a lot of sugar, healthy cooking choices such as baking/steaming/sauting, healthy natural fats, etc. (Our family does as much organic as possible too.) The recipes given so far are great examples, thanks!!

P-head-I would consider green tea w/ stevia both clean and healthy. :)

I make these all the time:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-granola-bars-recipe/index.html

I do modify the recipe.  But if you have never made granol bars before it is a great starter recipe. 

I use unsweetened coconut and I omit the brown sugar.  The honey and dried fruit make it plenty sweet.  Sometimes I reduce the honey to half a cup instead of 2/3 cup.  I usually replace the wheat germ with flax seed meal. I use whatever dried fruit I have on hand.  I have also thrown in chia seeds and sunflower seeds.  My family likes dried apricots, blueberries, and raisins.  I often throw some chocolate chips in there, too.

Healthy Recipes We Love:

* roasted vegetables -- works especially well with root vegies

* roasted brussell sprouts (even my pickiest will eat this!  Fresh brussel sprouts, cut in half, drizzle with EVOO, toss, and use garlic salt/pepper to taste)

* lentil soup (lentils, 1/2 lb bacon, carmelized onion) ummmmmmm

* Moe's At Home (set up a buffet line of black beans, rice, shredded cheese, fresh chopped tomatoes, avocado or guac, organic lettuce/spinach, cooked organic beef or chicken, burritoes, anything else your heart desires) Make a taco salad (if low carb), vegie burrito or indulge in all of it. :D

*And a recipe we had last night:

Spinach-Feta Pasta

12 - 16 oz pasta (use whatever kind you like and whatever shape; I usually do regular or mixed wheat bowtie)

1 medium onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half (I often use canned diced organic, drained)

3/4 C. chicken broth (make my own from whole organic chickens)

fresh spinach (Costco organic! recipe calls for 6 oz. but we put in LOTS b/c it wilts down so)

salt and pepper to taste

crumbled feta cheese (I use the kind with basil and tomato)

Cook pasta and drain.  Cook onion in EVOO until tender and add garlic, cooking about 1 more minute.  Add tomatoes and broth and simmer about 5 minutes.  Stir in spinach or arugula, cover until wilted (about 2 - 3 minutes).  Add drained pasta, season with salt/pepper, mix in feta cheese and serve!  We love it hot, but it's great cold as a leftover. 

Lisa

Healthy Recipes We Love:

* roasted vegetables -- works especially well with root vegies

* roasted brussell sprouts (even my pickiest will eat this!  Fresh brussel sprouts, cut in half, drizzle with EVOO, toss, and use garlic salt/pepper to taste)

* lentil soup (lentils, 1/2 lb bacon, carmelized onion) ummmmmmm

* Moe's At Home (set up a buffet line of black beans, rice, shredded cheese, fresh chopped tomatoes, avocado or guac, organic lettuce/spinach, cooked organic beef or chicken, burritoes, anything else your heart desires) Make a taco salad (if low carb), vegie burrito or indulge in all of it. :D

*And a recipe we had last night:

Spinach-Feta Pasta

12 - 16 oz pasta (use whatever kind you like and whatever shape; I usually do regular or mixed wheat bowtie)

1 medium onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half (I often use canned diced organic, drained)

3/4 C. chicken broth (make my own from whole organic chickens)

fresh spinach (Costco organic! recipe calls for 6 oz. but we put in LOTS b/c it wilts down so)

salt and pepper to taste

crumbled feta cheese (I use the kind with basil and tomato)

Cook pasta and drain.  Cook onion in EVOO until tender and add garlic, cooking about 1 more minute.  Add tomatoes and broth and simmer about 5 minutes.  Stir in spinach or arugula, cover until wilted (about 2 - 3 minutes).  Add drained pasta, season with salt/pepper, mix in feta cheese and serve!  We love it hot, but it's great cold as a leftover. 

Lisa

I absolutely LOVE this kale salad. I started growing the italian type of kale just to use in this recipe!

Raw Tuscan Kale Salad

1 bunch Tuscan kale (for example, black or lacinato)

2 handfuls homemade coarse breadcrumbs

1/2 garlic clove

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch

1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese, plus adiitional for garnish

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish

Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon

1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Trim the bottom few inches off the kale stems and discard. Slice the kale into 3/4-inch ribbons. You should have 4 to 5 cups. Place the kale in a large bowl.

Using a mortar and pestle or a knife, pound or mince the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt into a paste. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss very well (the dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves). Let the salad sit for 5 minutes, then serve topped with the bread crumbs and additional cheese.

I also like to make healthy tarts with whatever fruit is most fresh and in season. I use a general whole wheat pie crust recipe but roll it out into an irregular shape. I toss fruit (usually plums, nectarines, peaches, blueberries, cherries, or a mixture) into a bowl (cut into slices if necessary) and add the juice of a lemon, a handful of flour and a handful of raw sugar. I pile the fruit into the middle of the crust and just fold the edges over to make it look all rustic and lovely. Bake it at 375 or so until it is done. I like to serve it with BARELY sweetened whipped cream.

I'm devastated that due to newly diagnosed chronic illness I can't even READ the other thread because it'll make me crave stuff I can't have-I miss being able to eat what I want! I am SUCH a foodie!!!! I would love to be involved in that awesome thread!

Anyone have any WONDERFUL clean or healthy recipes they want to share? (I'm specifically putting NO special restrictions (ie-allergy free, gluten free, etc) on response posts-just things that are clean/healthy eating. They CAN have restrictions in them--gluten free or whatever--that's ok, but don't have to be)

I will think of a couple and share them later today.

I soooo understand what you're saying here...I'm having a hard time reading about the wonderful cookie recipes in the other thread since it's VERY hard to make good tasting gluten free cookes...I posted two recipes in the other thread that are gluten free since that's what I have to be due to my chronic illness. I don't know what clean eating is though.