Menu

I've been diagnosed w/ illness that may be chronic-what are some rigorous,self-teaching curricula for 5th grade boy?

I need to revise plans based on this illness and come up with things that can be self-teaching for days I can't do much. I've always been a really hands-on teacher so this is hard for me. He is an average student (not academically advanced), self-motivated, does well with a checklist, responsible, etc. He does get easily frustrated so I'm hoping for things that are easy to follow/understand on his own.

I would love ideas for self-teaching but great quality/rigorous curricula in all subjects. Thank you so much. We are Christian so definitely open to any Christian curricula but not against secular.

A couple things I'm pretty sure on already are Math Mammoth (we did it last yr) and Veritas Press Self-Paced online for history. I need ideas for everything, but spelling is especially tough as I've always made up our own based on word lists, child's mistakes, etc. I definitely need all subjects to be totally auto-pilot this yr. Thanks!!

xpost-K-8

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your illness and do pray that the Lord will give you and your family grace during this time of diagnoses and adjustment to the illness. May the Lord give your doctors wisdom and you healing!

Now the first thing that popped in my head for your son was computer based or DVD programs like Switched on Schoolhouse by Alpha Omega or BJU DVD or Harddrive programs. The good thing about those is that you don't have to buy all the curricula for the grade but pick by subjects. So if you already know what your going to do for some subjects you can go with these for the other subjects. I've heard good things about both of these programs. The good thing about SOS is that it is computer-based and you it keeps track of grades and you are minimally involved.

Now, if you'd rather not go with a single curriculum company, perhaps you can go with Apologia for Science (those are directed toward student I believe), Hake Grammar and Composition is pretty complete LA program and it is self-directed though you would have to be available for correcting the work, The EPSschoolspecialty company spelling programs seem pretty self-directed with only involvement by teacher for tests and correction, we use Spellwell and Megawords. Rosetta stone for foreign language is independent.

I hope that helps a little. Hugs during this difficult time!

Math: probably too young for an online program like Kinetic Books.  Maybe Khan?  I remember someone mentioning an online Singapore program, but it was pricey.

LA:  Analytical Grammar or Jr.  One grain of rice game for vocab (forget the actual name), lots of reading in whatever subject you're covering in history.  Writing will be hard.  Maybe just follow the WTM suggestions and review when you can.

Latin: First Form

Geography: Drawing the World with Art

Science: Science Fusion or Plato with nature studies

History:  Skip timeline this year, unless you feel he can do it alone.  History Odyssey or Human Odyssey, supplement with videos.

Art: Meet the Masters or Mark Kistler

You can try Discovery Streaming through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op through 8/31.  Might be a great way to fill in some days.

I am so sorry to hear about your health issues.  I have a friend with MS and she uses Classical Conversations.

Prayers,

Laura

Ah, I understand.  We've got chronic illness in our home, too, with the homeschooling parent. 

Maybe consider some of IEW's products?  My daughter LOVEs the Phonetic Zoo for spelling- this is almost no teacher prep, except every so often you come up with a list based on mistakes they've made in their writing.  Not sure what you use for writing, but you could try IEW (the videos, such as the student intensives or continuation ones- I had dd watch the DVD with me one day of the week and she worked independently on the writing assignment the rest of the week until it needed "grading").  Or Wordsmith Apprentice.  I think Wordly Wise has online Vocab, but the other thing you could try this year for spelling AND vocab is the free spellingcity website- FREE!!!!

For science, I agree with the poster on Apologia (maybe have him do some outlines or reports for chapters) or DVD based stuff like SOS, BJU, etc.

But honestly the BIGGEST help to our family in dealing with this is to have a CHECKLIST for the student of all the things they need to get done that day, so our kids can check things off as they are done.  You could write the list weekly or around when you're feeling up to it, or even plan out the whole year and adjust as you go?  Without those checklists, my kids were well-meaning but constantly needing to ask for direction. 

Best to you,

Paula

You say you already have math and history covered (I would have suggested Life of Fred and History Odyssey, but Math Mammoth is a fine choice; I am not familiar with your history choice, but if it is working for you, great!)

For science, you would do fine for a year with Plato Science (all on the computer, periodically on sale through Homeschool Buyer's Coop for $50, pick your topic, or for more money, you can pick multiple topics) or for a DVD plus hands-on program he can still do himself, Exploration Education physics would be fine for a fifth grader.

You really can skip grammar for a year.

You can do foreign language through DuoLingo (inexpensive version of Rosetta Stone)

Writing: Unjournaling is great in fifth grade (order the book through Amazon; it's not expensive).  He can just pick a random prompt from the book, or work them in order.

Logic: work through Fallacy Detective or Mind Benders.

Give him access to Horrible Histories on YouTube or Netflix, Discovery Education Streaming, or NOVA videos, the North America series (now in re-runs on Animal Planet) and have him read through the encyclopedia one two-page spread at a time.  Fascinating stuff in there.  Pick fun topics like how the immune system works and let him read up on "Natural Killer Cells" and come tell you all about them.  Get him a subscription to BrainPOP and The Happy Scientist.  He can have a wonderful year of exploration-- I tell my kids no more than 90 minutes per day of non-education screen time (all screens) but (nearly) unlimited educational screen time, and they discover the most amazing stuff to watch and interact with.  Despite the naysayers who call this "passive learning," they can tell you all about the stuff they saw and read online over a year later.

I starting building in this exploration time into my older son's school day.  He gets the stuff we do formally (I think of us as primarily classical homeschoolers) but I have to say . . . he really digs in and remembers the stuff he is learning on his own time more; the boy seems to be an unschooler at heart.

Best of luck with your health and the upcoming year.

Sorry to hear of your illness ((hugs))

You got a ton of great advice already, but another spelling option would be Sequential Spelling DVD on the computer.

If you have an iPad, you might like the Wordly Wise app.

I would also add plenty of educational DVDs and audiobooks. 

If you can add any online classes, that may help. Tap your community for any tutors or other homeschooling parents that will be able to help. 

Someone posted awhile back about people with chronic illnesses doing homeschool, and there were a lot of us.  I think someone may have started a group for that somewhere on these boards--perhaps in the social area?    could be more ideas to be mined there perhaps.

Besides self propelled learning, also consider what you can do, and where your energies should be put.  I like my ds to be able to correct his own problems, and to put my time toward helping  with difficulties (either directly or by finding other resources) rather than putting my time into the correcting, so increasingly I have tried to get him to be the one to do his own correcting.  Some grammar programs can probably be used in a self correcting way.   Composition writing might lend itself to him reading his finished or draft stages to you and perhaps asking for help as needed.  

Some things might also be good for you both to be able to listen to audio or watch DVD's together while you are not feeling well--if you are up to listening or watching anything.  Or he could listen and watch on his own.

IEW in my experience takes a lot of parental input, even with the video direct for the kids.

Spelling--for us has lately been his Franklin digital electronic dictionary, and playing its word games, plus his typing program (Typing Instructor for Kids), plus Duolingo (he is studying German) because if you misspell your English translation by much you get marked wrong so some English spelling gets picked up from that too.  I think there are supposed to be some online spelling games also like Spelling City or Spelling Wizard, but I have never been able to make them work.  I also printed off a computer list of the supposedly 1 or 2 thousand most common English words for him to work on spelling.  He can enter words from that into the Electronic dictionary and it can give him a spelling bee--though it is often hard to understand what the computer voice is saying.

For me one of the biggest things that makes it work is that we are "do the next thing"-ers--so he has a time he needs to do each thing each day--and knows the goal is to learn it not busy work, so he can move on if he feels he's got it (whatever it is).  I choose curricula that allow that approach.  That is mingled with a bit of unschool approach for subjects that I think he will do on his own.  So, math is a timed amount daily, and do the next thing based approach.  Literature is up to him, unschool approach.

I think you're on track with VP online history. It's awesome!! I second IEW spelling. CLE LA, and reading are very student directed and easy to monitor. They're also thorough (reading is TONS more than mechanics - check the scope and sequence - literary terms, vocab, etc.). I would caution that even a highly motivated 10 year old is 10. I would build in daily grading, checks, and some oral stuff just to stay on top of progress and connect relationally.

ETA - I'd highly recommend BJU6 online science. Interesting, thorough. An academically solid 10 year old could handle it.

Ace paces are great for self learners. If you want a christian theme and self teaching I would go with that. DD does a few ace subjects and I really like ACE word building(which is their spelling program). She spells really well and learns the definitions. I like how easy it is for both of us.

I wanted to add... My BFF went through chemo when her kids were in 5th. They used: Saxon math with DVD supplement (we use Art Reed. They used DIVE I think. I LOVE AR!), Daily Grams / Easy Grammar, SOTW with tests, Latin with DVD, journaling, NOEO (but not every experiment - her girls were less interested). Tons of reading. They're a limited screen lots of reading family.

For sixth they used Calvert with a bit of tweaking. They added in IEW B. Lots and lots of writing. And they all read a ton.

When they transitioned into PS in 7th they rocked the house. Soundly. In one of the best middle schools in the country. I'm very proud of them. :-)