Menu

Virginia Notice of intent to homeschool - Question

I did this last year...but I forget...and I guess I was silly and forgot to save a copy for myself.  :tongue_smilie:

For the curriculum description, we just need to include a list of subjects to be studied....like literally a list, correct?  I know a couple years ago they needed a brief description too, but that changed.  My list should look something like this:

Bible

Spelling

Math

U.S. History

Science

etc...

correct? (without the etc... ;))

The form for my notice of intent I have comes directly from the town website and says "I have included a description of the curriculum, limited to a list of subjects to be studied during the coming school year..." and I've read this elsewhere, but this list just seems so simple and basic.  That said, I do not want to give them any more than is required by law.

Thank you!!

Thank YOU for not giving more info than is necessary!!! (Waving to a fellow Virginian.)

It sounds like your county or city has not updated its form. Feel free to write on the form or in a cover letter, "As of July 1, 2012, descriptions of curriculum are no longer required."

Or not. You are complying with the law. Don't you love how your list of curriculum can be just under water basket- weaving and hoola hooping? ;)

http://vahomeschoolers.org/pdf/avenues_for_legal_compliance.pdf

I don't even use the form I get from the county. And yes, your subject list is adequate.

The part that kills me is when I get the letter back saying that I've been "approved." No, I haven't! They don't have the authority to "approve" me or not! :chillpill: :chillpill:

'Zactly!!!

Thank you!  I would like to go ahead and send this.  Easy Peesy!

I just use their form because it's basic and easy. I don't feel like making my own. It doesn't ask for anything I don't have to give.  It specifically says the curriculum description is "limited to a list of subjects to be studied" (which is in my OP also).  That portion was added last year, because I do have a copy of everything I sent the previous year, so they do seem to be keep up with the law.  If it asked for something not required by law, I would use my own form.  :D

I don't even use the form I get from the county.  And yes, your subject list is adequate.

The part that kills me is when I get the letter back saying that I've been "approved."  No, I haven't!  They don't have the authority to "approve" me or not! :chillpill: :chillpill:

I HATE this!  I get the same thing and it drives me bonkers!  We qualify for a religious exemption, but choose not to take it..for now...but getting this letter always makes me want to just take the exemption so they can't think they have any authority at all.  Grrrr.... Now, I need a chill pill!

Oh and I hate the letter they send in June-ish reminding of evals and notices for the following year.  Ours says something like, "We are happy to have many parents dedicated to homeschooling...yada, yada.  Homeschooling is not for every family and some have had to rethink their position, yada, yada..." That ticks me off.... :thumbdown:

So does HSLDA....they are both almost exactly the same and almost exactly the same as the one from my county website.  I have been using this one because I found it first when I started HS'ing.  It really seems fine to me and is almost exactly the same as HEAV's and HSLD's...is there a specific reason I should not use the schools? I don't want to if I shouldn't, but I don't see why not since I already have it all set up from last year. (And filled out and printed for this year.)

Wait...I stand corrected...I wasn't looking closely.  The one from the county asks for the child's name and birthday.  I just realized the HEAV one and HSLDA one says age and that HEAV specifically says you don't have to give their birthday....Guessing I should use one of the others.  Bummer, now, I have to fill out a new one. 

Why should we not give their birthday?

Thanks everyone!

(I tend to be a rebel too, but this was so easy and I didn't realize the difference till now.)

ETA - Those Sneaky Sneaks!  I now notice that it also asks for grade level, but the others don't either.  Obviously, I should have looked more closely.  This ranks right up there with telling me I am "approved" and "some have had to change their position."  :willy_nilly:  Religious exemption is calling my name!  :001_tt2:  

..is there a specific reason I should not use the schools? I don't want to if I shouldn't, but I don't see why not since I already have it all set up from last year. (And filled out and printed for this year.)

Well, if you are in the county I once lived in where the point of contact wanted everyone to use her _____ (fill in the blank) color of the year form, the specific reason for ME not to use the school's form would be just to annoy that person. Sounds petty, huh? But she asked for too much info, so she annoyed me! But that is still petty and you are nicer than I am!

You have already mentioned the form and the things they ask but have no legal right to ask. Feel free to leave those slots blank or cross them out. *batting eyes innocently and nodding my head*

Well, if you are in the county I once lived in where the point of contact wanted everyone to use her _____ (fill in the blank) color of the year form, the specific reason for ME not to use the school's form would be just to annoy that person. Sounds petty, huh? But she asked for too much info, so she annoyed me! But that is still petty and you are nicer than I am!

You have already mentioned the form and the things they ask but have no legal right to ask. Feel free to leave those slots blank or cross them out. *batting eyes innocently and nodding my head*

Ours is a man...so, not the same location.  I was tempted in the early days not to use their form just because it was theirs. ;)  But, it was too easy to pass up.  Now that I see they are asking for info not required, I'm back to wanting to make sure I stay far away from them and their forms.  :glare:

I ended up scrapping the forms from the county and using the one from HSLDA.  I liked it better because I could type into it.  (I don't like filling things out...I have awful handwriting.)  I'm going to use that.  :)

My form says only name is required, birthdate, grade and zoned school are optional info. I listed subjects just like you did with the exception that I wrote English instead of

Language Arts. I can't stand that term.

I don't like LA either. But, I don't really like English...too broad. I put spelling, grammar and lit instead of LA or English.  :thumbup:

Somewhat related question. I'm in VA, my NOI is on the fridge waiting for August....

We are starting school in one division and will be finishing in a different division. I'll send an NOI to the new division when we move but do I need to tell the old division we moved so they don't hunt me down for test scores?

Thank you!  I would like to go ahead and send this.  Easy Peesy!

I just use their form because it's basic and easy. I don't feel like making my own. It doesn't ask for anything I don't have to give.  It specifically says the curriculum description is "limited to a list of subjects to be studied" (which is in my OP also).  That portion was added last year, because I do have a copy of everything I sent the previous year, so they do seem to be keep up with the law.  If it asked for something not required by law, I would use my own form.  :D

I HATE this!  I get the same thing and it drives me bonkers!  We qualify for a religious exemption, but choose not to take it..for now...but getting this letter always makes me want to just take the exemption so they can't think they have any authority at all.  Grrrr.... Now, I need a chill pill!

Oh and I hate the letter they send in June-ish reminding of evals and notices for the following year.  Ours says something like, "We are happy to have many parents dedicated to homeschooling...yada, yada.  Homeschooling is not for every family and some have had to rethink their position, yada, yada..." That ticks me off.... :thumbdown:

It's why we took the religious exemption option. Well, one of the reasons...  :glare:  I know there are states that are even easier than VA on these matters, but I am thankful for having such a relatively easy time here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat related question. I'm in VA, my NOI is on the fridge waiting for August....

We are starting school in one division and will be finishing in a different division. I'll send an NOI to the new division when we move but do I need to tell the old division we moved so they don't hunt me down for test scores?

Just seeing this. I would mention it to the "old" county in your cover letter for the test scores when you submit them.

Now, because I can be a stinker, I would be tempted to highlight that info w/ a neon highlighter. I always sent stuff return receipt and kept a copy of everything that was sent. I know of a lady who took the paperwork and her copies in person and had the secretary sign her copy and date it.

Wait...I stand corrected...I wasn't looking closely.  The one from the county asks for the child's name and birthday.  I just realized the HEAV one and HSLDA one says age and that HEAV specifically says you don't have to give their birthday....Guessing I should use one of the others.  Bummer, now, I have to fill out a new one. 

Why should we not give their birthday?

Thanks everyone!

(I tend to be a rebel too, but this was so easy and I didn't realize the difference till now.)

ETA - Those Sneaky Sneaks!  I now notice that it also asks for grade level, but the others don't either.  Obviously, I should have looked more closely.  This ranks right up there with telling me I am "approved" and "some have had to change their position."  :willy_nilly:  Religious exemption is calling my name!  :001_tt2:

Because *the law* does not require you to. Never, ever give more information than is required by law. Which is another reason that *I* wouldn't use the form provided by the state. I'm persnickety like that.

Or I'd use their form and draw lines through the parts not required by law. Probably with a red Sharpie....