Menu

Another telephone scam

Night Elf

I just got a call saying they wanted to deliver my Medic Alert system and that it was paid for. I tried explaining they had the wrong number but he kept talking, so I hung up on him. Then DH looked it up online and found it was a scam fishing for personal information.

My husband has a field day with these guys! He messes with them until THEY get mad and hang up.

I just got a call saying they wanted to deliver my Medic Alert system and that it was paid for. I tried explaining they had the wrong number but he kept talking, so I hung up on him. Then DH looked it up online and found it was a scam fishing for personal information.

Actually I have a friend who messes with these kinds of callers, too. She'll ask for their name, phone number, and location so she can call them back. She'll ask what time they have dinner so she can call then. They usually hang up. Maybe I'll start doing this...

I have been getting calls about a class action suit for birth control pills. They say my name is on the list of those who have taken pills, and ask which of the three I took. I have never had any of them, so then they start asking what I took. It has never been a native English speaker. If it is real, someone with the right info would be calling me.

I got the same call last night. The guy wouldn't stop reading his script, no matter what I said. I finally told him to have a pleasant evening and hung up. If he calls again, I'm going to quietly set the phone on the table and sneak away while he's still blabbing. Then I'll go back in a few minutes to see if he hung up on me.

We had been getting calls saying we were getting the free medications that we signed up for.  Then calls for the free baby products that we signed up for.  :huh:  We signed up for nothing.  I'm guessing the were phishing for info, but I always hung up.  I told them a few times to put me on their Do Not Call, I guess it finally worked.  

We actually got rid of our home phone just to escape random calls like this. We never get them on our mobile phones. The last straw was a caller who told me that I must have noticed my computer was running slowly. I said that it was fine. His next sentence was, 'Are. You. Telling. Me. that there is no problem?' He managed to inject so much insult and such disbelief into the first 4 words that I hung up and canceled the phone the next day. It was the straw that broke the camel's back.