Menu

Potassium

Parrothead

This is all from me for a while. I need to spend more time off the computer.

I usually get horrible leg cramps and I had a horrific side cramp this evening. If I can't have potatoes and bananas any more, where can I get potassium? Is another supplement my only choice?

ORANGE JUICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drink calcium fortified OJ for leg cramps, and it is my miracle cure.

You won't believe how much potassium is in OJ! (And, we all need calcium, and it might be involved in cramps, too.)

Drink 6 oz or so before bed and any other times during the day when you have cramps. It really is awesome. Try it!

I forget where I was reading it, but something alonmg the lines that magnesium, more than potassium would help with the cramps. 

FYI, most people with diabetic tendencies are severely magnesium deficient. I get mine from kelp, chocolate, and taking epsom salt baths. 

Other good sources (besides the bananas, orange juice and potatoes mentioned above):

milk, yogurt

V8

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

Also check out the potassium salt "No Salt" available in the spice section of the grocery store. It's made up of potassium chloride, the same stuff in supplements. It tastes like sodium chloride, but a little more bitter in large amounts. Use it to salt your food in moderation.

This is all from me for a while. I need to spend more time off the computer.

I usually get horrible leg cramps and I had a horrific side cramp this evening. If I can't have potatoes and bananas any more, where can I get potassium? Is another supplement my only choice?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/268978-low-carb-high-potassium-foods/

Hang in there! 

When I was pregnant with Chuck (that's right, your little pal Chuck) the potassium alone did not help.  I had awful leg cramps in the mornings.  I read somewhere (because you know, some vague recollection of reading something on the internet is totally legit) that magnesium and calcium are also needed to help with the cramps.  My midwife gave me a natural supplement and they really helped.  Any day I did not take them ---->horrific leg cramps.  Every day I took them---->none at all

When I was pregnant with Chuck (that's right, your little pal Chuck) the potassium alone did not help. I had awful leg cramps in the mornings. I read somewhere (because you know, some vague recollection of reading something on the internet is totally legit) that magnesium and calcium are also needed to help with the cramps. My midwife gave me a natural supplement and they really helped. Any day I did not take them ---->horrific leg cramps. Every day I took them---->none at all

I have to visit your blog again to check on the little Chuck. LOL.

Thanks for the info. I'm taking a new magnesium supplement. Although i forgot last nights dose. I'll check into the calcium.

I have to visit your blog again to check on the little Chuck. LOL.

Thanks for the info. I'm taking a new magnesium supplement. Although i forgot last nights dose. I'll check into the calcium.

Oh fudge, I don't think that thing is very updated.  You know what is updated with pictures of her?  Facebook.  That's right, come to the dark side! :tongue_smilie: