Menu

Broken Kindle screen and replacement WWYD

cjthedog64

My 7yo accidentally dropped my Kindle Fire last week and completely cracked the screen. It still works, but tiny glass shards stick in my finger if I try to use it. Earlier that day I had chatted with customer service about the charging port being loose, and they are sending me a replacement (4th one - I hope it actually charges for me). I have another month to seems the one I have back, but what's going to happen with the screen? I've read that they sometimes give a credit towards a new one, so maybe they'll just charge my card for the difference? Anyone know?

Also, is there an OtterBox type of cover I can get? The old cover is like a book, with corner protection, nut obviously no protection from getting dropped face down on a hardwood floor.

I'd contact Amazon and let them know that the screen is broken.

And as far as the charging port goes:  we've got 6 original Fires.  Each was replaced 2-3 times for that very issue during the year they were under warranty.  After they're out of warranty (from the original purchase date), Amazon won't replace them any more.  Dh has access to a microscope and equipment at his job, and he's taken them to work as the ports come loose to repair them since they're out of warranty.  He says it's a definite design flaw with the port, and also the amount of solder they use is minimal.  He's not surprised that they break.  It's very frustrating!  

I got my first one at Christmas 2011. I don't remember if the replacements were during the warranty or not, but the charging port was a design problem, so they've replaced them with no problems. I guess they were originally replacing them for cracked screens too, but not anymore. Which makes sense, since that wasn't their fault.

After we had one replaces, the second started not charging. We figured out the second time, it was the cord. Our old phone charger fits it wonderfully. I was expecting to trash it, since the first one is older. I would definitely call them and explain the situation, so you don't get charged the total when they receive it.

You probably should call, but I think now that the deal is done they are not going to look any further into it. someone at amazon will receive the kindle and do whatever it is they do with them when they are sent back and probably never look at your account. they replace those things every day- I can't imagine they are making any money on the devices themselves. I am on Fire #5 myself, and the last time the rep barely even asked me what was wrong. had he looked into my problem he would have seen that what I thought was a problem was just a Kindle update, not a problem at all! I wasn't even asking for a replacement, just wondering why my little charging icon changed from green to white while charging. I'd call them and tell them that while you were waiting for the new one the old one broke. I'm betting it won't be an issue.

You should call. 

What they do with the ones you send back is fix the problem, if possible, and then sell them to customers who need a replacement out of warranty.  I bet the replacement you receive says "certified refurbished kindle."  It is someone else's problem Kindle that they returned & Amazon repaired.  A kindle with an screen that is physically broken may or may not be able to be refurbished.  If you received the new Kindle as a free replacement under warranty and you don't return the broken one or the damage doesn't match what you said was wrong with it they will charge you the full amount for a new one.  If you paid a reduced price and do not return the broken kindle or the damage doesn't match they have the option to charge you the difference.

HTH,

Amber in SJ

I'd contact Amazon and let them know that the screen is broken.

And as far as the charging port goes:  we've got 6 original Fires.  Each was replaced 2-3 times for that very issue during the year they were under warranty.  After they're out of warranty (from the original purchase date), Amazon won't replace them any more.  Dh has access to a microscope and equipment at his job, and he's taken them to work as the ports come loose to repair them since they're out of warranty.  He says it's a definite design flaw with the port, and also the amount of solder they use is minimal.  He's not surprised that they break.  It's very frustrating!  

I'd also contact them about the screen.

Just an FYI--amazon just replaced my first generation Kindle Fire for the loose port even though it's three months past the warranty.  They replaced it three previous times for other issues while under warranty.  I didn't think they'd do it but decided to call and inquire and first they sent me one of the new chargers as they said its more stable when plugged into the unit...when that didn't work they offered to replace it, only with a 90 day warranty.

We've had issues with my son's kindle fire charging too. So aggravating. I might try to call and see if they'll send another one even though it's out of warranty. It's worth a shot.

Well, I tried to call today and the "best" they could do for me was a refurbished kindle fire with a 1 year warranty for $102. Ugh! That's disappointing!

Well, I tried to call today and the "best" they could do for me was a refurbished kindle fire with a 1 year warranty for $102. Ugh! That's disappointing!

Disappointing, but totally understandable from their standpoint since if they offered replacement in this situation all someone who broke a screen (not amazon's fault) would have to do is work the port connector until it broke (amazon's fault) in order to get a new one.  I understand this isn't your situation, but I understand why they would deny a free replacement.

I'd also contact them about the screen.

Just an FYI--amazon just replaced my first generation Kindle Fire for the loose port even though it's three months past the warranty.  They replaced it three previous times for other issues while under warranty.  I didn't think they'd do it but decided to call and inquire and first they sent me one of the new chargers as they said its more stable when plugged into the unit...when that didn't work they offered to replace it, only with a 90 day warranty.

Sometimes they'll replace them up to 15 months.  Depends on who you talk to.  After that, the best I get is a discounted replacement.  I love Amazon, but I've been very frustrated about this issue.

Yeah I'm going to call again. This could swing us right toward an iPod for DS's bday instead of an amazon app store gift card. And I'm going to tell them that. I have low tolerance for trying to make customers pay for a manufacturer's defect. I wasn't expecting a free replacement but at $102 that's not even a good deal.

I misunderstood I guess? I thought they had already sent out a new kindle. So now they want you to send the new one back when you receive it and they'll sell you a refurb for $102?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not the OP. I just jumped on the bandwagon when I saw someone mention a busted charging port. That's been our issue with DS's kindle. We thought it was his fault but now we realize it's not. His screen isn't cracked, just the port is messed up.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not the OP. I just jumped on the bandwagon when I saw someone mention a busted charging port. That's been our issue with DS's kindle. We thought it was his fault but now we realize it's not. His screen isn't cracked, just the port is messed up.

sorry, I wasn't paying attention!