Menu

What specific program keeps calling your name...

alisoncooks

I keep getting called by Creek Edge Press task cards, but only because it fits MY learning style! :)

I really like the looks of Dorothy Mills' books, put out by Memoria Press. It looks like I may go with these history stories.

I forgot about MCT. I like the looks and how pretty it is, but.. I cannot justify the price for so little on each page. I don't like the fact that the whole language arts program involves so many different (expensive) components.  This is why I have been resisting. Not my teaching style I guess.

Oh! Oh! I'll play!

FIAR (only tried 1x)

Sonlight (I think we've started 3 different cores)

Truthquest (it's a great resource, but I couldn't get it to work as our main history)

For the rest, it depends what day you ask, and sometimes what time of the day. :p

I go back and forth with MFW and HOD. I haven't decided which (if) one is a great fit.

I go back and forth with Singapore and Saxon. I never hate Saxon, but we are currently trying Singapore. Again. (3rd time?!?)

Well I haven't tried it, but Five in a Row and Before Five in a Row keep calling to me.

I know they aren't for us. They do not fit with my teaching style, at all. I don't think they will fit with my daughter. They don't even match our educational goals and homeschool philosophy. Like, at all. Not even a bit. 

And yet I keep wandering back and looking at all those books and plans, and reading threads about it, and talking to people who have used it.

Honestly, Sonlight.  I've been lusting over their book lists for 10 years now.  We used whatever the Core Kindy is now called..."Exploring God's World"...when DS was 5.... but I completely ignored the IG and just read the books.  I'd like to try an actual Core using the IG...but some of the posts on how it's changed has given me pause.  I did find an old Core D+E (American History in one year) from around 2005 on eBay and snatched that up.  Not sure if we'll ever use it, but I own it nonetheless. :)

Oh, and I've drooled over Oak Meadow for the same amount of time. (I know...complete opposites).  Well, this year, I bit the bullet and bought 4th grade. I am really pleasantly surprised.  I won't use their math just because I like what we've used before... but in reading through it, even if we just did that, DS would have a very good year and learn a lot.  

FIAR- we did BFIAR last year with my ds but I know squeezing in FIAR vol. 1-3 with a child doing mfw k & one in Adventures and then mfw 1st & ECC would be too much! It would just be over kill and we'd end up not really digging in.

Maybe some other kids ;)

Also, Prairie Primer & Portraits of American Girlhood - I want to complete the 5 year mfw cycle, so would need to do that for 2nd / 3rd if I want to complete the cycle, but I would get more out of these programs if the kids were a bit older (4th / 5th), and require more leg work for me. I go over and over this and am not sure if I want to take the plunge. I visit the Facebook pages and blogs but don't know if I'll do it!

IEW.  I've tried various programs 3x.

Sonlight.  Two cores, flopped.  Still have the books and plan to read them, I still don't know what the problem was.

"Sonlight called to me until that whole locked thread where John kept digging himself into a huge hole with his botched slavery research. :/"

What was that about?  I've been out of the loop for a bit, can someone give me the upshot?

A World of Adventure was something I had been dying to do. We've always happily used SL, but I love the idea of AWOA and heard so many positive comments about it being someone's best homeschooling year ever. Frankly, I can't imagine an integrated approach would work for us, and I had things that were working well for my kids, but I still wonder. Sometimes I feel like I've traded high my academic ideals for fun times and more creative opportunities and I'm not always sure it's been worth it. Now we're moving out of the age range and on to other things.

The other weird thing that has been calling to me is HOD. I've been carrying the catalog around and wanting to use it for my son for high school. It's another integrated program, and he's the one I feel that would be bad for, but something just seems so pleasant about it. I don't even like a lot of their book choices and I'm not even mildly religious at this point, so it seems a little nuts. I just want him to have happy high school years and I'm a little overwhelmed, so it seems like a safety net somehow.