Menu

Ah yeah...my sabbatical starts right...NOW!

Sisyphus

Ever since my second year home schooling, I've taken a "sabbatical" nearly every year. It usually involves dh taking the kids somewhere, normally his parents, and me staying home and NOT TALKING TO ANYONE. Which I need. I talk all day, constantly, and have for 15 years now, and it's very draining (for me).

While we lived in Asia I went away, because it was cheaper and I could hit the road with my car and no plan, and let experience take me places I wouldn't normally go with kids in tow. Like going home with random old ladies to little mountain towns because they asked me too, lol. Now we are back in the us and dh just pulled out with the van loaded up, and my old dog and I are going to fire up Netflix, order take out and lay in bed the rest of the day. Or possibly week.

Normally I deep clean and organize, home school plan, take some day trips with the dog. The Asian sabbaticals spoiled me though, since that all sounds dreadful! I don't even want to scrap book. Just sit and be still...and alllll alone. Since I'm not Asian (very obviously so!) I didn't have to talk if I didn't want to on those previous sabbaticals- the assumption was i didn't understand, which I have been known to use for days on end. Here, if I go anywhere, I can't by smiling vacantly and pointing, lol.

Anyway, this rambling and random, but I wondered if any other home school moms take sabbaticals? I'd be certifiable without them!

Lol--not exactly, and perhaps too literally--I am on my husband's sabbatical now. But it's a bit mine, too. A complete change can be had even in one's own house, I suppose, if the heart is allowed to rest.

I think sabbaticals, whatever the personal nature, are useful and healthy.

I go on a 3-day silent retreat after Christmas. It's SOOOOOOO relaxing. I don't have to talk to anyone, which makes it great! Perhaps there is a silent retreat center near you? They're usually very inexpensive to stay and you don't have to prepare food. There is often nature trails or something similar, too.

Hope you get all the quiet, alone time you need on your sabbatical!