Menu

Dealing with stinky gym clothes

songsparrow

Hubby has started going to the gym most days. He brings home wet, stinky gym clothes. He was hanging them up on our wooden drying rack to dry, but the wood began to absorb the odors.

How do you deal with gym clothes? Do you pop them immediately into the wash? If that's not possible, what do you do with them in the meantime?

I save the last load of the day on workout days - load it in the washer, get it ready to go, then don't start it. When we get home from working out, everyone's yucky clothes go right in the washer and I push the Go button.

When I absolutely cant wash them for whatever reason, I toss them in the dryer for 5-10 minutes. Once they dry, the odor is less and they can wait with the rest of the laundry until I wash a load.

Vinegar in the wash does wonders for smells when DS17 leaves his workout clothes in his bag for a week. :scared:

I have a front loader, and when I use ammonia I either put just a bit in the detergent dispenser or put it (along with a little detergent) in the pre-wash dispenser and run it on that cycle. You don't need to use much in a front loader. Believe it or not, PineSol is also something that can be used as an odor eliminator for laundry. I add it as I would ammonia or vinegar.