Menu

Another Library Question - This Time About Funds and Friends

eaglei

Looking for some *creative* fund-raising ideas/activities that a Friends of the Library group can do to financially help libraries. The requisite book sale is a given. What I'd like to know is what your library does. What kind of speakers/programs/activities draw a paying audience? What pay-for *services* do you offer? What are some unique ways you've raised funds for the public library?

Thanks in advance! :-)

I have no clue about raising serious amounts of money, but I noticed a jar next to the self-checkout in the children's section a few months ago. They had a tiny sign saying that they wanted to save up enough to buy a specific book and encouraged the kids to drop in one penny for each book that they checked out.

The jar was crammed full. I guess the kids really wanted that book. :)

Our big fundraiser is annual murder mystery play which is performed by well known locals. The principal of the middle school, police chief, guy who owns the deli, politicians, coaches, ministers - anyone who can bring in a lot of fans. We sell tickets, and costs are almost mil since we perform at the library. No lights or anything like that.

We also have an annual gala, $50 a ticket and businesses donate food and wine so costs are low.

Offer museum passes to patrons, have local businesses sponsor the passes in exchange for a mention on the website and newsletter.

Ours packages up donated books with either bags or cups that have also been donated to make gift baskets or cups. They are wrapped very pretty in cellophane with ribbon. The cups may have some pkts of hot chocolate inside. There was one that was a bowl that had 3 paperbacks and some mini candy bars.

There is also a local artist who sells prints of her pictures with the library receiving half of the proceeds.

Ours has an annual plant sale. They have also done book themed summer camps for kids. Generally they are three days (tues-thurs) from 9-11 or 9-12, the perfect amount of time for parents to get a break and run an errand or two but they don't interfere with families wanting to travel on weekends.

One local library has this event that sounds wonderful, but is out of our budget. (note: it is a more affluent area)

Evening in the Stacks gala like event. $125/person : http://www.hclibrary...ex.php?page=330

Another library had this event 2 years in a row that I was so excited about, but it didn't fit out schedule the year we knew about it before hand.

Farm Dinner with food from local farms, $40/person: http://www.examiner....er-this-weekend

Then there are the general fundraisers at local restaurants where they give a percentage of all qualifying sales that evening. I think they do this several times a year at all different restaurants and also have seen it at a store like Five Below (kinda like dollar store, but $5 or less and pretty kid/youth focused).

There may also be Scrabble tournament fundraisers or such too.

These ideas are GREAT! I had a couple ideas but, in a million Sundays, I could never have come up with these creative ideas that you have so generously shared.

I'm so glad I checked the thread again. I'll be back later just-in-case there are more! (Today I was scheduled off so I am scurrying to get some housework done. :001_smile: )

I can't say Thank You enough!