Menu

What should my dh wear to this wedding

nanette

The wedding is for our nephew. It is Friday at 4p.m. The wedding and reception will be outdoors at the home of the bride. My dd and I are wearing cute summer dresses. My dh has asked some other male relatives what they are wearing and he got respones such as dress slacks, jeans and even shorts. It will be about 83 outside. So, what could he get away with?

Our fall back for something like this is nice khaki pants, and if the reception is really informal such as barbecue, a polo, loafers not tennis shoes, and dark socks. If the reception is formally seated or the food and general flare is a bit less relaxed, dh and boys wear a button down and carry a tie in their pocket so they can judge the general atmosphere when they arrive.

Backyard can be a real misnomer. Some backyard weddings are literally, picnic/grill out on the lawn. Some have formal seating and decorations, and some like "Father of the Bride" with Steve Martin, are seriously formal affairs that just happen to be taking place at a private residence that is beautiful, landscaped, and has the room to accomodate the event.

You might be able to take a cue from the invitation. For many back-yard barbecue type weddings we've attended, the invites were very casual in style. In most "yard" events that we've attended that were formal, the invitations were clearly upscale, elaborate, expensive numbers which we took to indicate a likely more elegant affair.

If you know the bride, do you have any idea what the home is like? If the swinset, treehouse, and dog kennel aren't being moved or torn down, that's a good sign that khaki's and a polo will do!

Faith

My DH would wear navy slacks and a button down dress (business casual dress, not starched cuff link dress) shirt and stash a lightweight sport coat in the car. If everyone is more casual, he can roll up his sleeves. If more formal, he can throw on the sport coat.

After showing up at a casual wedding on a beach in a polo shirt and khakis when every other man was wearing a suit, my husband always errs on the safe side and wears a suit to a wedding. He can always take the jacket and tie off

:iagree: I'd wear a minimum dress pants, shirt, and tie. He can throw a polo in the car for the after party if it is really casual/warm. I always think better to be the most formally dressed than the other way. I went to a wedding last weekend where there were 450 people. Adult men showed up in shorts and polos and I thought they looked ridiculous.

I would be less concerned with what other's are wearing than in the formality (or informality) of the wedding itself. an outdoor venue tends towards less formal. that said, dh would probably wear dress slacks. (based on information given)

Our fall back for something like this is nice khaki pants, and if the reception is really informal such as barbecue, a polo, loafers not tennis shoes, and dark socks. If the reception is formally seated or the food and general flare is a bit less relaxed, dh and boys wear a button down and carry a tie in their pocket so they can judge the general atmosphere when they arrive.

Backyard can be a real misnomer. Some backyard weddings are literally, picnic/grill out on the lawn. Some have formal seating and decorations, and some like "Father of the Bride" with Steve Martin, are seriously formal affairs that just happen to be taking place at a private residence that is beautiful, landscaped, and has the room to accomodate the event.

You might be able to take a cue from the invitation. For many back-yard barbecue type weddings we've attended, the invites were very casual in style. In most "yard" events that we've attended that were formal, the invitations were clearly upscale, elaborate, expensive numbers which we took to indicate a likely more elegant affair.

If you know the bride, do you have any idea what the home is like? If the swinset, treehouse, and dog kennel aren't being moved or torn down, that's a good sign that khaki's and a polo will do!

Faith

So true.... I've been to rather formal backyard weddings.......... Someone in dockers and a polo shirt would have been rather under-dressed. Ask the bride or the mother of the bride, if the invite doesn't give indication of appropriate dress.