Menu

If you do grades and tests....

At what age would you require your child to be able to take closed-book tests in history and science? We did "tests" in history this year using the tests for Story of the World, but they were always open-book tests (he could use the book to look up answers he didn't know). I'm working on plans for next year when he'll be in 5th grade, but giving him true tests still seems like a lot. I know they do in public schools, though. So what does the Hive think? When is the best time to start giving "real" tests?

When I give open book tests, the test is timed so the student benefits from actually knowing the material. Before giving a "real test" though, I would lightly touch on study skills and test taking skills, then continue to add on to those lessons as time passes.

I think the answer to all of this depends a lot on where you're coming from in your educational philosophy and thinking.

A fill in the blank "test" is a worksheet when it's open book if the point of the exercise is to see what a child has learned about the material - so if all the questions are fill in the blank or memorization questions, then you're not really testing knowledge of the material. On the other hand, an open book test is a test when the point is to see how well the child can access the material or how well they can express themselves about the material when, say, writing an essay, or how well they can use the material, such as solving complex problems even if they have the formulas in front of them. So what type of skills and knowledge you expect to be tested makes a big difference.

And, following from that, what type of skills and knowledge you'll want to test should change as kids age. If you follow the idea of grammar-logic-rhetoric stages, then you're about to be looking for deeper thinking. What do you want out of tests?

I want the tests to show that he has learned the material and is starting to think things through to ascertain the answer even when he doesn't "know" it (although I'm not at all sure he's ready for the logic stage yet). I have done spelling tests and grammar tests since the beginning, and he did geography tests last year, but we haven't done history or science tests yet. Those just seem harder for some reason. The SOTW test book is meant for middle school, and since he was only in 4th, I let him use the book to help. I do tend to be guilty of using material that is at too high a difficulty level and/or expecting too much for his age, though.

Right now I'm trying to decide about science. I have the Holt books for Life and Earth science. I think he could handle the reading and such, but I don't think he would do very well with the tests. Then again, I think those books might really be for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, in which case, I should give him another year anyway.

It all depends on the kind of test. An open book test can be easy (look up facts to fill in worksheet) or hard (synthesizing and critically analyzing information presented in the book). Even at college level, I cam write an open book test that is by far more difficult than a closed book test- this distinction says absolutely nothing.

I want the tests to show that he has learned the material and is starting to think things through to ascertain the answer even when he doesn't "know" it (although I'm not at all sure he's ready for the logic stage yet). I have done spelling tests and grammar tests since the beginning, and he did geography tests last year, but we haven't done history or science tests yet. Those just seem harder for some reason. The SOTW test book is meant for middle school, and since he was only in 4th, I let him use the book to help. I do tend to be guilty of using material that is at too high a difficulty level and/or expecting too much for his age, though.

Right now I'm trying to decide about science. I have the Holt books for Life and Earth science. I think he could handle the reading and such, but I don't think he would do very well with the tests. Then again, I think those books might really be for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, in which case, I should give him another year anyway.

I would ask myself:

What type of study skills have I taught him? And how well do the tests I am using reflect what I want him to know?

I would ask myself:

What type of study skills have I taught him? And how well do the tests I am using reflect what I want him to know?

We haven't worked on study skills much yet. Part of what I'll do with the Holt books is have him start taking notes as he reads and looking up and defining vocabulary words.

I don't remember any tests on history or science until fifth or sixth grade--10 or 11yo.

As a homeschooler, I don't see the necessity of doing tests until children are that age.

I'm going to be using a history textbook for the first time this year, too. Maybe I should stick with online science (he does just fine with the quizzes there, for what it's worth) while he learns to take notes and use the history textbook. Then next year for sixth we could start the Holt science. I just don't want to wait "too late" to get him used to studying and taking tests. But I also don't want to overwhelm him by trying to cram in too much at once.