Menu

Non GMO popcorn?

busymama7

Where could I get this especially in bulk? Is anything that says organic not GMO and if its not organic it is GMO? What about corn tortillas and chips? We eat a fair amount of all these items but I buy in bulk because there are ten of us and don't want to resort to buying tiny health food store packages. Thanks

Anything organic is supposed to be non-GMO. With corn assume all else could be GMO unless the packaging says otherwise.

Whole Foods has bulk organic popcorn. I usually buy the bags from TJ's, or Arrowhead Mills, though. The bulk stuff I find doesn't pop up as fluffy. Both of those brands are organic and actually cost less than the (not organic) Orville Redenbacher stuff at the regular grocery!

Well, the article linked says:

At the Seeds of Doubt conference recently, Jeffery Smith, executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology and GMO expert, assured us that even though almost 90% of the corn grown and eaten in this country is GMO corn, popcorn comes from a different seed and has not been genetically modified.

So according to this, all popcorn is non-GMO. Not sure I believe that though. We buy organic popcorn in bulk at our local food co-op.

From what I have read, there is no gm popcorn on the market. Here is just one random article about it.

Well, the article linked says:

At the Seeds of Doubt conference recently, Jeffery Smith, executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology and GMO expert, assured us that even though almost 90% of the corn grown and eaten in this country is GMO corn, popcorn comes from a different seed and has not been genetically modified.

So according to this, all popcorn is non-GMO. Not sure I believe that though. We buy organic popcorn in bulk at our local food co-op.

:iagree: This is what I read too when I was researching popcorn.