Menu

what are you doing to coincide with the Olympics?

Hi Jodi!

We're lucky enough to be in the middle of studying Ancient Greece and China in our history studies, so that worked out well. :) I purchased the Eyewitness book on Olympics which is wonderful and Levi has read the Magic Tree House Research Guide to Ancient Greece and the Olympics. (I was going to post that on my blog in the next day or two. :))We watched the swimming Olympic trials which is fun and we are looking forward to watching the TV coverage.

Wouldn't it be fun to hold a mini-Olympics for kids in the yard? Hmmm. I might have to think on that one...

Here is a link to a Family Olympics party at familyfun.com.

We've never watched the Olympics. I have bits and pieces without really paying attention...the kids, never. Yes, I admit it. I'm ashamed. This year may have been the same except a friend is having an Olympics Party on Friday. Each of the children have to bring a fact or trivia question on a card, they'll play games and have snacks. I'm so excited for them. So...in preparation we've checked out books on the summer olympics, I just read Hour of the Olympics to my younger 2 last night (Magic Treehouse book) and I plan on us watching many of the events on TV. It will be good also that we're studying ancients this fall and will be going over the Greeks again.

We had a big Olympic party this past Saturday. We don't do individual birthday parties with friends for our kids, but each summer we have one big party. We've had themes like a medieval feast and a revolutionary war party, and this year it was the Olympics. When the kids got there, we put a flag from some country around their neck, but down their back so they couldn't see it, and then they had to ask other people yes and no questions to figure out what country it was. The kids did really well with that. After everyone had figured their flags out, we formed up on the side of the house, and then marched around to the front to the Olympic theme music, like the Opening Ceremony. As each child got in front of the adults, he or she said the name of their country's flag out loud.

Then we had a few relays, like a land swimming relay, where we divided up into teams of 4, and each person had to "swim" across the yard in one of the 4 strokes of a swimming medley relay. The other relay was a pentathalon of sorts, where each person had to do these 5 events (run around the cul-de-sac, walk a balance beam, throw a frisbee into a kiddee pool, long jump across part of our driveway, and shoot a basketball into a little hoop).

Then we had a medal ceremony, where I handed out gold medals to all the kids (there were 26 of them), and we played the national anthem. I had written the words on a piece of posterboard so everyone could sing along.

For food, we had a bunch of round things, like bagel bites, tortilla wrap-up spirals, grapes and blueberries, pineapple rings, etc. While people were eating, I asked them a bunch of Olympic trivia questions I found on the internet.

I sent everyone home with a schedule of events printed off the internet that just basically tells what days what events are happening on, and when medals are being awarded in each event. We also made a bar graph so that kids could fill in how many gold, silver, and bronze medals the US and a few other countries (Germany, China, Russia, and someone else . . . can't remember) get during the Olympics.

It was a really fun party, and now I am really in the mood to watch! Hopefully everyone else at the party is too! : )

I guess this really doesn't qualify as "cheap, fun, and simple", but maybe even just doing one little thing will get everyone more excited?

I checked out a stack of books from the library. That seems to have done it, ds (7) is REALLY excited to watch different events.

The kids did their own little Olympics today, they made a flag for their opening ceremony and then had different games with medals for prizes. I think the games were things like futon jumping. :glare:

But we'll watch some of the opening ceremony on Friday and try and catch different events on TV in the evenings.

Jami

when my 3 oldest (now teenagers) were little we lived near dear friends and always did a fun party, with sugar cookies wrapped in different color foils with red/white/blue ribbons for necklaces like medals. I'm 16 years older, 5 moves/states removed and still recovering from major surgery this summer, so I don't know that I'm up to throwing a huge bash, but we've watched/read (there are several from our town going) enough of the trials to be excited about watching.

however. the 2.5 yo and the 5 yo (need I say they're both boys?) have watched one too many high diving trials (and they only watched one!) because they immediately went out to our pool and started stacking things up to make their own high dive. I think the 5 yo can actually do a half gainer with a twist (jk).

we've read many of the books y'all mentioned, thanks for the link Heidi, and Claire your flag game sounds way fun. let's hope I can talk my big kids into getting into it for the 4 youngers.

I've been gone awhile. Does anyone know if abbeyj's sister is going for gymnastics?

Well I don't consider those who don't want to watch the Olympics wackos at all. I am curious though, are you boycotting because they are in China or for another reason? I hope it is OK that I ask. :001_smile:

I'm curioius too. We are having some friends and neighbors over for a "snack dinner" and watching the opening ceremonies. We will have some kids who swim, some kids who play tennis, some old moms who were gymnasts, some kids who love tae kwon do. I don't agree with most of China's polcies, but who am I to deny these wonderful athletes who have trained their whole lives? I'm up for open discussion about China and their policies with my kids, we've already had many such discussions. But, I can't deny the Olympics.

Someone asked about early memories and I remember being 6-7 and sitting with my mom watching Jim McKay report how the Israeli wrestlers had been killed. It's one of my biggest memories. I'm not sure what my mom said to me, but I think the Olympics is one of the best things the world has going for it. I remember the same Olympics being totally compelled by Olga Korbut (sp?) and begging for years to get gymnastics lessons. Overwhelmingly (despite the scandals) these young people are there to compete and also to meet and get to know each other.

Isn't that the whole point? Why penalize "kids" (I could be the mother of most of the athletes competing in the games) for what a bunch of old politicians think is good? Aren't these "kids" the leaders (many, not all) the future for all of us? Why not encourage them to meet and make friends and get to see different lives.

I hope my own kids get to travel and experience all they can as soon as they're able to travel alone.

FWIW, I'm conservative politically. I abhor many of the Chinese practices. BUT, what better way than the Olympics to get into their system and have people meet face-to-face and just talk.

OK - bedtime for me.

anything cheap, fun and simple?

Just kidding.

We'll be watching lots of sports and the ceremonies. We have some friends that are from other countries so we'll be watching some with them to give ds the whole world perspective thing. Maybe I'll make the kids do some charts or something to compare swim times...hmm.

eta: Really wish we had access to channels like euro sport.

:lol: Just curious, how would you have him demostrate? What impact do you think it would have? Really, I"m not baiting you, I'm just curious.

Well he only just turned 4, so we would have to be shouting something that rhymed with:

TWO, FOUR, SIX, EIGHT!!!...

At the very worst we'd lean skip-counting.

I wouldn't much expect it would cause the Chinese government to shape up, but might teach my son to stand up for lost causes.

Bill

Well I don't consider those who don't want to watch the Olympics wackos at all. I am curious though, are you boycotting because they are in China or for another reason? I hope it is OK that I ask. :001_smile:

Yes, because it is in China....and I don't believe they should have been chosen to host it... I don't wish to offend others here...so I will leave it at that. :001_smile:

I don't believe China should have been chosen, but since it has and the athletes work so hard to be there and it's the peak of their sport, well I don't feel like boycotting it. I can totally understand why others do feel diffently though.

Someone mentioned professional athletes, well it may be like that in the US, but much of the world they are just normal people who worked really hard ;)

We are ready for a break from school, so I decided to co-incide it with the games. We will watch lots, particularly Hockey and Gymnastics which my boys do.

We don't do art routinely throughout the year, we do chunks of it. So while the games are on we are going to be doing some sketches and paintings on movement and some sculpture of people. Should be fun, and we can do it in front of the telly. :lol:

I'm counting down the days until our break!! :tongue_smilie: