Menu

How do you print your downloads?

cholderby

Just wondering how other people print their downloads. Do you print them all at once and use a three ring binder? Get them spiral bound? Print on demand at home?

Any idea who has the best prices for printing?

I'm trying to figure out if I should get the Math Mammoth download or just buy it printed. In the past, I've tried printing HFA on demand but it got overlooked a lot because there wasn't a book in the stack (and not one of our do-or-die subjects either).

I lucked out and found a used laserjet printer on ebay for $20. I can refill the toner cartridge myself for under ten bucks, and get over 5000 pages out of it. THEN I found a GBC Surebind 2000 on ebay for $25 plus shipping! So, I have a regular print shop here. Ironically, I've always been a proponent of the 'paperless' homeschool........

I used to print the whole thing by sending it to dh and letting him print at work. They really don't care there. Then I would sometimes have it bound at Staples. I sometimes still do that, but I print on demand more. With MM, lately I've just been printing about 15-20 pages at a time.

I print a few weeks' worth of stuff at once; I've tried printing more, but then if something doesn't end up being Just Right, it's more that is wasted. In theory, I look at my plans once a week and get things ready, but having a couple of weeks' worth already set means that I'm okay if I have a busy weekend and don't get to prep much.

For some stuff, I just will have the kids write on the iPad, and then I'll print a few samples.

I generally print an entire book at once. If it is a workbook I 3 hole punch it and place in a binder because it is easier for dd to work with one removed page at a time instead of a bulky wkbk. If it is a book I staple those under 200 pages and cover the bound edge with duct tape. Larger books I have spiral bound. I did spiral bind some thin wkbks because they are easy to work with.

I'm surprised you are considering the print version of MM when you've got younger kids who could be using it at some point- I'd definitely buy the pdf. Printing myself would be cheaper than buying a pre-printed copy for each child.

I print a few weeks at a time generally. If I want it bound I have a comb binder, but I'd rather have a Proclick! It's worth it to get a printer that will print cheaply- I can't imagine the hassle and expense of having it printed elsewhere.

With multiple kids, I would definitely buy the PDF and print it myself rather than purchase the printed version.

We used MM when we started out, and For us, it worked well to print one "testable unit" at a time. I print everything double-sided. 3-ring binders do NOT work at all here! Fortunately, we do not need to keep portfolios in our state LOL. I have a Brother all-in-one type laser printer, and it prints even color pages at 2 cents per page or less if I refill toner myself.

I found a comb-binder on sale at Staples-- it's a super nice one, and can bind up to 150 pages at a shot, and I now use it to make our Lively Latin books in four chapter sets.

For some things my kids actually fill things out on their ipads-- they port the PDF's into OneNote and can then write on them directly, save in DropBox, and I can grade them from there from any computer, and it's all automatically filed!