Menu

I don't know what to eat anymore.

Ginevra

What in the world is wrong with me? I need to come up with some good summer menus, but right now I just seem frozen with indecision. I'm soooo tired of the meals we ate all winter. My summer produce will be great, but we're not there yet and all I've got is a bit of lettuce and radishes that barely grew. I want to make some lean, very healthy, low-on-the-meat meals, but I can't seem to get my head out of my hiney and make a plan. Suggestions?

Taco Salad ( you can control how much or little meat goes in there)

Quinoa Tabbouleh

Cold tomato soup (Gazpacho)

Grilled chicken on salad (I just stir fry strips from the skinless boneless chk breast in my cast iron skillet)

Brown rice with tuna and avocado

Cold Chicken Salad you can eat with crackers or in a sandwich

Pimiento cheese sandwiches

Rice and Beans

I made this as a side once and my kids loved it so much they all chose to forego the main part of the meal and eat this exclusively.

http://www.momswhothink.com/salad-recipes/ramen-noodle-salad.html

You could add chicken or pea pods or red peppers etc if desired. The noodles get soggy after a while so make this just before serving and don't make a ton for leftovers (like I normally do so I don't have to cook so often). Otherwise you could just sprinkle the noodles on individual servings as they are dished up.

Thank you! Keep 'em coming! I LOVE the looks of the bean/corn salad. I even have bunches of cilantro growing right out the door!

I'm making Grilled Chicken over salad for tonight. :drool:

Here's a salad I copied from a local restaurant. These are the amounts I use for one serving when I make my own lunch, or I make two side by side for dh and I. I assemble it in a wide bowl on the scale to get the right amounts--makes it easy to track on myfitnesspal. Very tasty and I feel like I'm getting some real nutrition.

Zappatista Salad for one

Layer in a wide bowl in order:

3/4 ounce tortilla chips (I like Garden of Eatin' mini rounds ordered in bulk from Amazon)

1/2 cup black beans (I use canned and heat them up first)

1/2 ounce grated jack cheese

A bunch of torn lettuce (I like Romaine hearts)

Some pico de gallo ~1/4 cup (diced tomatoes, a little sweet onion, juice from 1/2 lime, chopped cilantro)

Avocado-Lime dressing (In blender whir together 1/2 c. water, juice from the other 1/2 lime, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 mashed avocado--refrigerate the extra)

Whatever fresh vegetables you wish to use. Choose your own assortment! Cut vegetables into small-ish pieces and simmer them in chicken stock along with Japanese udon noodles. Garnish, or not, according to whim. (sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, grated Romano NOT-from-can, hot pepper flakes, whatever)

Don't underestimate the BLT. Also grilled veggie subs. Yum.

Oh, we LOVE BLTs and eat the heck out of them. But we are tomato snobs. Until they can be plucked from the garden, it could only be BLs. Or BLCs. (Cucumbers). :laugh:

Whatever fresh vegetables you wish to use. Choose your own assortment! Cut vegetables into small-ish pieces and simmer them in chicken stock along with Japanese udon noodles. Garnish, or not, according to whim. (sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, grated Romano NOT-from-can, hot pepper flakes, whatever)

Yum. Another good idea to use.

One of my favorite summer salads is so simple!

Dark green lettuce

Sliced strawberries

Blueberries

Mandarin oranges

Sliced toasted almonds

Dried cranberries

Strawberry vinaigrette (you can make your own)

Place all ingredients on top of the lettuce in any quantity you like and pour on dressing (not too much or it will overwhelm the salad). Weird as it sounds, it does need a bit of salt.

Another SUPER simple salad is a mango/lettuce salad.

Dark green lettuce

Jarred mango slices, drained and cut into chunks

We usually just eat a large version of these salads with warm bread and cheese.

Caprese grilled cheese

Thick sliced bread (French bread works well, cut into 1" slices)

Buffalo mozzarella cut into 1/4" slices

Basil leaves (fresh work best)

Fresh tomatoes cut into slices

Salt and pepper

Place cheese, tomatoes and basil between slices of bread (salt and pepper the tomatoes to taste), place a small amount of butter on outsides of bread and grill in frying pan

^^^BEST.SANDWICH.EVER.

Dressing

1 part rice vinegar

2 parts canola oil

Place mangoes on top of lettuce and drizzle with dressing. This also needs a touch of salt.