Menu

MRSA--We've been exposed. Feeling panicked.

A friend's toddler has MRSA. Said toddler was at my house while the rash was active (still is--she's on antibiotics now). The rash was bandaged up at the time.

I vaguely recall reading really scary things about MRSA and am feeling a little panicked. We are going backpacking in the boundary waters shortly and I fear a crisis. I will google and try to figure this out, but wanted to also turn to the Hive for your wisdom.

What can you tell me about MRSA?

Did anyone in your family have an open wound? Could be a very small cut, but I believe the MRSA has to get through the skin.

Definitely look up the incubation period, though. Call your doctor!

I always have wounds because I bite my nails/fingertip area (trying hard to stop though!).

My ds always has wounds because he is a boy who must, at all times, be running, jumping, climbing, and conquering something. He is always scratched and bruised.

I don't think I touched this little girl at all, but both my kids probably did.

MRSA is something that my dh is exposed to every single day (he's an RN in a special care ward). He has cuts on occasion. He has yet to contract it. I, on the other hand, got cellulitis (a skin infection that can turn into MRSA) from a mosquito bite! We all have bacteria on our skin. Some of that bacteria is staph (the bacteria in MRSA, I believe). If your immune system is compromised in some way or if the bacteria has been exposed to a lot of anti-bacterial stuff and has grown immune to it, then a person can develop MRSA. I wouldn't panic. I would take Cadam's advice and wash your hands well (and not with anti-bacterial soap). Take some Purell (or the equivalent) with you on the backpacking trip.

Due to a condition I have, I contract MRSA 2 or 3 times a year, or more - I've never ended up hospitalized for it. Just read up on it and be aware of the symptoms. If she shows any, then get her on some antibtiotics. I really wouldn't worry about it, as long as you know what to look for and don't wait to take her in if you think she needs meds.

My stepdaughter picked this up at school, but none of the rest of the family got it. In her, it presented as painful boils and at first we thought she was having a problem with ingrown hairs. Anyway, she was prescribed a body wash and a gel to put in her nose. We washed all her clothing separately with color-safe bleach and she finally got rid of it.

Lisa

My mother got this after surgery for pollups that would have turned into cancer on her colon a few years ago. This was before it was so wide spread, and they couldn't figure out what it was--she contracted it in the hospital, and, before they figured it out, it nearly killed her, but that is because it took them more than 6 weeks to finally figure out what it was, and most antibiotics do not work on it. Now, they know what it is and can take care of it quickly, so it is a totally diff thing.

The main thing is, if it was bandaged, you are not supposed to be at risk. Still, the parents should have told you about this--it is totally wrong if they did not! Being in waters, etc, is not dangerous--you have to have open sores or liquid carrying the staff infection touching the open wound to get it.

I would ask a dr. to check you, but, from what I understand, if you have no sores, there is no way to detect anything. If you are going to be gone a long time and they feel you are really at risk, and you will not have a way back to med facilities if need be, maybe they can give you a prescrip to take with you?

MRSA is something that my dh is exposed to every single day (he's an RN in a special care ward).

Jean! I didn't remember that hubby was a nurse.

I'm exposed daily. The stats in my county (just south of Jean) is that after a 20 day stay in a hospital or nursing home, you ARE colonized with MRSA.

Also, there are two kinds of MRSA....the really resistant kind I dealt with in NYC, and the not-so-ugly bug that tends to give people boils. The hint on recognizing these boils is that people think that they are "ugly bug bites" or "infected acne". I've heard those phrases over and over and over. So, if anyone gets a really "ugly bug bite", watch it like a hawk.

I'm more afraid of VRE.

• 1 year later...

My youngest had a pretty severe outbreak (rash all over her torso and some on other parts of her body), pus-filled horrible blisters when she was two. She was treated with an oral antibiotic (strong because it is resistant) and an antibiotic ointment. One of my other sons got it mildly, but none of the rest of us did, and we were certainly exposed constantly on a daily basis. I was still nursing her. It resolved with no complications.

Guest lmn_tree

My daughter contracted MRSA, we believe through a changing table (as it was on her bottom...under her diaper). Good hygiene is key: wash hands frequently, keep surfaces clean. According to our pediatrician, if the wound is covered well, it's not an issue for the infected child to be with other children. I have always played it safe though, keeping my daughter home when she has a break out. Prevention-wise, we have found a mix of 1 part tea tree oil and 3 parts olive oil sprayed on the skin seems to be effective in keeping it away...on both her and her sister (who has not been infected...neither have her dad or I). This solution has worked better for us than the over the counter Hibiclens wash...