Menu

Why teach Latin?

Hello. This question comes up fairly often, so you might not get many replies. Here is one thread on the subject, but there are more if you search for them.

FWIW, I teach a modern foreign language when children are young, then follow up with Latin later (without dropping the MFL).

Laura

Just curious as to why many homeschoolers teach Latin. I have been thinking about teaching my kiddies French as a second language, but just want to know why homeschoolers choose Latin. Thanks :)

A lot/most homeschoolers teach or intend to teach (if they can ever find the time) Latin but I think there are probably a majority of homeschoolers who don't (here in NZ anyway). This forum is biased towards the former. Have fun.

Hello. This question comes up fairly often, so you might not get many replies. Here is one thread on the subject, but there are more if you search for them.

FWIW, I teach a modern foreign language when children are young, then follow up with Latin later (without dropping the MFL).

Laura

Thank you, Laura and others who replied to the question. The link has some compelling reasons to study Latin. I was going to teach Spanish first, then Latin later on, but DS9 frequently asks: "what does this word mean?" Therefore, I think he would be interested in Latin now. I studied latin fairly extensively, and still use it many years later whenever I read medical literature (frequently), or a newspaper/magazine article in a language such as Italian or Spanish, which I do not speak, but can read because of the Latin and French I studied as a child/teen.

Thank you, Laura and others who replied to the question. The link has some compelling reasons to study Latin. I was going to teach Spanish first, then Latin later on, but DS9 frequently asks: "what does this word mean?" Therefore, I think he would be interested in Latin now. I studied latin fairly extensively, and still use it many years later whenever I read medical literature (frequently), or a newspaper/magazine article in a language such as Italian or Spanish, which I do not speak, but can read because of the Latin and French I studied as a child/teen.

Also, in addition to the standard reasons for studying Latin, it develops the verbal part of your brain in very interesting ways. Whole new regions of the verbal area of your brain seem to open up--its as if you gain a 3 dimensional view of grammar and syntax! And it seems as though this is something that only an "inflected" language such as Latin, Greek, or Russian can do. You don't realize these benefits until you get to a higher level of the subject--when you actually study it to the point of mastering a couple of years of high school Latin, or more. (And, of course, this depends on what type of high school Latin you study!)

I, too, was skeptical of the value of Latin over French or Spanish, back in 1991 when we started homeschooling. Now I believe strongly in studying ALL of them. :tongue_smilie: Spanish can be gently developed as an extra-curricular and then mastered later through texts and immersion. But Latin should be the academic foreign language a student studies. Greek would be ideal, too, but its not as accessible to us. (I do believe that homeschoolers should, at a minimum, teach their children the Greek letters!)

Just my 2c! :D

We are doing French and Latin concurrently with DD7. I used to be fluent in French and have been using L'Art de Dire and now L'Art de Lire. I am studying Latin myself for the first time with Henle, while DD just did SSL and is starting Prima Latina. She likes both and we will compare French and Latin words along the way. She hasn't had trouble keeping them straight, even if we sometimes study both in the same day (usually I try to alternate).

Latin was a priority for all the reasons other posters have described over the years. I also love French and since preschool my kids have enjoyed the gentle introduction. It doesn't need to be a choice :)

Laura

What a great thread! We'd already decided to start Latin this fall, and now I'm even more certain it is a good move.

We teach it for all the reasons everyone else does, but I have to say, as I learn with my child, that it is an amazing exercise in critical thinking. Even at the early stages. I just love it and I love watching my kid's mind work as he declines nouns and translates and conjugated verbs. Plus, I love hearing my 2 year old run around chanting, "amo, amas, amat...." That she's picked up hearing our recitations.

Just add that it is hard/difficult to learn ... of course Greek even more so.

If you want to build up some brainpower you need a certain material to work with, much like you need some weights to build some muscles in a gym.

I have been researching teaching Latin to my kiddies, and was very surprised to find that some homeschoolers are opposed to it - stating it is a dead language. I need to look more into this before I make a decision. Is it really worthwhile learning Latin? Does it really help with grammar in English?

I have been researching teaching Latin to my kiddies, and was very surprised to find that some homeschoolers are opposed to it - stating it is a dead language. I need to look more into this before I make a decision. Is it really worthwhile learning Latin? Does it really help with grammar in English?

This thread has some links and other info you might want to consider.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/467775-reasons-to-learn-latingreek/page__hl__%2Blatin

Fwiw, I see Latin as a critical thinking exercise and developing strong language awareness. I definitely see a difference in my kids who have studied Latin.

Well Latin has helped my English grammar. And it's much easier to study Latin grammar than English grammar, because if I want to learn Latin, I MUST learn the grammar. There are many advantages to teaching Latin, but it's very hard to sum them up. Grammar, precise thinking, reading older texts, logic, vocabulary, mental discipline... You might like some of articles that Memoria Press has published: http://www.memoriapress.com/articles?field_catalog_issue_tid=All&field_tags_tid=latin

We've started with Prima Latina & Getting Started with Latin, both good programs. (I think GSWL is a great intro for you as the teacher!) I like that Prima has little sayings and prayers to memorize, I think it's valuable to see Latin in context.